2017 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Connecting passengers who are arriving at LAX on international flights will also find useful information in the following thread:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint (photo illustrations), a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2018 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

LAX Terminal Maps

How to enter LAX/Parking Map

How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 22 April 2019 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
Arriving on CX F with Global Entry and no checked bag, at 2:50pm, connecting to AS at 4:30pm to SEA.

I do not know if CX could issue the AS BP at HKG even though all segments are on same ticket issued by AS.

Would the walking to T6 on landside the quickest?

Plenty of time to make this connection with global entry and no checked luggage.

You will be landside after clearing custom at TBIT so you can just continue on landside to T6, which will be fastest. Suggest walking on the departure (upper) level and not the arrival (lower) level due to better air quality and lower noise level. Do not bother with the landside shuttle bus.

If you have global entry, you don't want CX to issue the AS boarding pass anyway... it won't have pre-check. Do online check in with AS once you land at LAX and proceed to T6 landside and use pre-check TSA line.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
If you have global entry, you don't want CX to issue the AS boarding pass anyway... it won't have pre-check. Do online check in with AS once you land at LAX and proceed to T6 landside and use pre-check TSA line.
And even if they do, you should still be able to use the AS app or a kiosk to print a new boarding pass with PreCheck on it.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: United, SWA, Delta
SWA - CMP?

Arriving LAX via SWA and connecting to CMP to PTY with checked bags.

Can someone please give me an estimate of time needed and the logistics of going from SWA Baggage (T1?) to CMP check-in (I think T3?) and on to TBI?

Is Clear up and running now?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Craig
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by craigeades

Can someone please give me an estimate of time needed and the logistics of going from SWA Baggage (T1?) to CMP check-in (I think T3?) and on to TBI?

Craig
Welcome to FlyerTalk craigeades.

I've merged your question into the consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread.

The big unknown is how long it will take your luggage to get to the carousel at T1. I have never seen checked luggage get to the baggage claim areas at LAX in less than 30 minutes (when I meet arriving passengers with checked luggage; I almost always travel with carry on luggage only).

It's a 10-15 minutes walk between T1 and T2. Factoring in the waiting time, the A Route bus (airlines connections) - which runs every 10 minutes - is not likely to save you any time (real time monitor).

It will take you about another 5 minutes to walk from T3, where the Copa check-in counters are located, to TBIT, where their flights arrive and depart.

The CLEAR lanes at LAX are open at T2, T3, T4, T6 and T7. They are expected to open soon at T1 and T5. None are presently planned for TBIT. You may wish to walk over to T4 and used the CLEAR lane there to clear security and then walk to TBIT via the Terminal 4 Connector (How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by craigeades

Craig

I wouldn't try this with less than 2 hours. The big unknown is how long it will take for your bags to come out at T1. It can be anywhere between 30 to 60 minutes.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:51 pm

Connect Time TBIT to T6

I'll be connecting from OZ204 (arrives 16:20) to AC 577 (departs 18:55) on a Saturday in August. I have Nexus/Global Entry, and will not have any checked luggage. Am I likely to be ok here?

Also, would I be best to clear TSA at TBIT and then proceed to T6? This would be ideal if I have the time, as I'd like to hit the showers in the * Lounge, time permitting.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:27 pm

2 hours is plenty of time if you have GE + no checked bag. 2.5 hours will for sure give you some nice shower time

You can re-clear TSA at TBIT arrival level with your onward AC boarding pass and use *A lounge in TBIT if you have access to the lounge.

From TBIT to T6, you can stay air side but it will involve a bit of a detour in T4 and T5:

TBIT to T4 is straight forward, just walk over. Then you have to turn right and walk halfway down T4 and go downstairs to the bus gates. Go past the doors to the bus and wrap around the corner and find the sign for T5. Follow the sign will lead to to the tunnel that takes you to T5. Once you get to T5, look for the tunnel on the other side of the escalator to T6.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
From TBIT to T6, you can stay air side but it will involve a bit of a detour in T4 and T5:

TBIT to T4 is straight forward, just walk over. Then you have to turn right and walk halfway down T4 and go downstairs to the bus gates. Go past the doors to the bus and wrap around the corner and find the sign for T5. Follow the sign will lead to to the tunnel that takes you to T5. Once you get to T5, look for the tunnel on the other side of the escalator to T6.
The wiki has a link to a map: "How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots"
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Staying in TBIT Upon Arrival (LAX final destination)

Arriving at TBIT on SQ.

Wife arrives at TBIT on CX one hour later.

Final destination is LAX.

Is it possible for me to stay in TBIT (or T4) until my wife arrives or, without a connecting flight, does the system force me out through customs to the street?

Thanks.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMore888
...without a connecting flight, does the system force me out through customs to the street?
With or without a connecting flight, unless originating at an airport with a pre-clearance facility, all arriving international passengers must go through immigration and customs and exit the Federal Inspection Services facility to the non-secure public area of the terminal. To the best of my recollection, there is no place to stop, linger and wait in the sterile area between the jet bridge and the exit from the customs hall.

There is a restaurant, Cantina Laredo, on the arrivals level near the exit from the FIS facility.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TWA884
With or without a connecting flight, unless originating at an airport with a pre-clearance facility, all arriving international passengers must go through immigration and customs and exit the Federal Inspection Services facility to the non-secure public area of the terminal. To the best of my recollection, there is no place to stop, linger and wait in the sterile area between the jet bridge and the exit from the customs hall.

There is a restaurant, Cantina Laredo, on the arrivals level near the exit from the FIS facility.
Thank you. Hoped otherwise, but consistent with my expectations.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:02 am

LAX Connecting on United International to Domestic

My Chinese wife and daughter will arrive from Shanghai (United LAX Terminal 7) and then connect to United flight to Houston (also Terminal 7). United has told me that passengers arriving after 6 pm clear customs and claim baggage at TBIT, after which they carry their baggage back for connecting flights and security. This seems outrageously inconvenient. Can anyone shed light on the drill for this?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by randyj
My Chinese wife and daughter will arrive from Shanghai (United LAX Terminal 7) and then connect to United flight to Houston (also Terminal 7). United has told me that passengers arriving after 6 pm clear customs and claim baggage at TBIT, after which they carry their baggage back for connecting flights and security. This seems outrageously inconvenient. Can anyone shed light on the drill for this?
Everything that you need to know is discussed in the wikipost which appears at the top of every page of this thread:
In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. It is now possible to connect from TBIT to T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 through the secured airside area - link to map above - after clearing TSA security on the arrival level of TBIT at the exit from the Federal Inspections Services facility. Alternatively, you may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.
And:
How Do I Connect from Terminal B through Terminal 8? Follow the Yellow Dots
Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.
There is a TSA checkpoint right past the baggage drop off / re-check counters (post with photos).

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 24, 2017 at 9:02 am Reason: Update with link to post with photo illustrations
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by randyj
Flight aware shows UA199 has arrived before 6PM at Terminal 7 everyday in the 2+ weeks or so. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL199/history

In the unlikely event that the flight is really delayed, it will proceed to TBIT and use the immigration and custom facilities over there. There is a luggage re-check station right outside customs before leaving the secured area. Your wife can re-check the bags there as long as it is tagged to IAH properly when she checked in at PVG. The walk to T7 from TBIT is long but not that bad. Read the wikipost as previously suggested.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyMore888
Arriving at TBIT on SQ.

Wife arrives at TBIT on CX one hour later.

Final destination is LAX.

Is it possible for me to stay in TBIT (or T4) until my wife arrives or, without a connecting flight, does the system force me out through customs to the street?

Thanks.
I think it's reasonably possible to do this without drawing much attention to yourself. If you both arrive TBIT (which it sounds like you will), you can probably spend more time hanging out downstairs in the baggage claim area prior to exiting Customs.

The arrivals passport/immigration area is fairly well-monitored and they're ushering people to the correct line for expediency. However, once you're through immigration, you head downstairs to the huge baggage claim area.

My partner does not have Global Entry and I do - we always meet at the bottom of the escalator. No one gives a hoot if I'm standing there with a bunch of other people looking to rejoin their party. You can use the restroom, wait for you bag, etc. The bags take forever anyways.

If it's a busy arrivals time, I don't think anyone will notice you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.