Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel and a secure airside walkway between T4 and TBIT are now open. It is possible now to connect from T4, T5, T6, T7 and T8 to TBIT without exiting security.

In T-4, the access to the tunnel via an escalator and an elevator at the center of the terminal under the Terminal Transfer sign (it was formerly designated Gate 44). Take the escalator down to the transfer bus gate, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

A secure airside walkway, which is on the top level of a airside connector between T4 and TBIT opened in February 2016; it is accessed by Gate 41 in T4 and near the Qantas Lounge in TBIT. The complete project, including a TSA checkpoint, a bus port and a checked baggage inspection area, was expected to finished by the end of May 2016 (but it is yet to open as of early June). More details here: LAX Terminal 4 Connector

2016 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 and Tom Bradley International Terminal are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8, and a newly-opened above-ground connector between terminal 4 and TBIT). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk between distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 2 June 2016 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2016 LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:40 am
Juz

@skatering yeah I wasn't entirely sure about the APC thanks for clearing that up!

@blumie it's all on the one ticket and I'm going to run there after reading another post on here
@often1 it's important I arrive on time or 2 hours at the latest, my travel agent booked the flights for me I didn't check them untill yesterday and I assumed he would know how to book flights *sigh*
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:11 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Automatically transferring the thread to the Los Angeles forum, for future reader reference.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Juz
@skatering yeah I wasn't entirely sure about the APC thanks for clearing that up!

@blumie it's all on the one ticket and I'm going to run there after reading another post on here
@often1 it's important I arrive on time or 2 hours at the latest, my travel agent booked the flights for me I didn't check them untill yesterday and I assumed he would know how to book flights *sigh*
OP - You still haven't told us your destination. Thus, nobody here can help you with alternatives. As your arrival time is important to you, the alternatives really matter in terms of a misconnect.

What is your exact routing? E.g.

Origin-LAX on Carrier Flight #, arriving at ____
LAX-Destination on Carrier Flight #, departing at ___
Old Aug 28, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Arriving on AZ terminal 2 -departing on DL domestic terminal 5. Is it an easy walk through the parking area or should I just take the inter-terminal shuttle?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JerryFF
Arriving on AZ terminal 2 -departing on DL domestic terminal 5. Is it an easy walk through the parking area or should I just take the inter-terminal shuttle?
AZ used TBIT not T2.

You should walk from TBIT to T5 after clearing custom. It will take you longer to find the shuttle stop and wait for the bus.

After existing custom (but before leaving the secured area), you can re-check your bags at the re-check station if it is tagged properly to your final destination.

After re-check, you exit to land side of TBIT and you will have two options:

1. Immediately re-clear TSA and go to T4 which is connected to T5 via a tunnel.

2. Go upstairs and walk curbside on the departure level to T5 and clear TSA there.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:46 pm

90 minute layover in LAX

I am planning a trip the beginning of December. (projected to leave Wed December 1...not sure if this is generally a busy time of the year). Flight on AA from CLT to LAX, arriving in LAX around 1030 PM, AA flight leaving to HKG at 1150 PM.

Not sure if there is a terminal change. (Is there, and if there is, do I have to go through security again?) All on AA. I should be able to check in all the way at CLT.

I could fly to LAX and be there with a four hour cushion. I am curious if you all generally think the 90 minute layover is OK. Unless forced to do a bag check-in, I will attempt to do this all via carry-on.

I do not want to kill 4 hours at LAX, but also do not want to miss the connecting flight. I know there are no guarantees, but am curious what you all think about this.

I never flew to LAX, and have no idea how crowded it is around 1030 PM, both at the terminals and general air traffic.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by samnc0
I am planning a trip the beginning of December. (projected to leave Wed December 1...not sure if this is generally a busy time of the year). Flight on AA from CLT to LAX, arriving in LAX around 1030 PM, AA flight leaving to HKG at 1150 PM.

Not sure if there is a terminal change. (Is there, and if there is, do I have to go through security again?) All on AA. I should be able to check in all the way at CLT.

I could fly to LAX and be there with a four hour cushion. I am curious if you all generally think the 90 minute layover is OK. Unless forced to do a bag check-in, I will attempt to do this all via carry-on.

I do not want to kill 4 hours at LAX, but also do not want to miss the connecting flight. I know there are no guarantees, but am curious what you all think about this.

I never flew to LAX, and have no idea how crowded it is around 1030 PM, both at the terminals and general air traffic.
AA (mainline) operates out of three terminals at LAX, 4, 6, and TBIT. I believe that your flight from CLT could arrive at any of the three, and the departure to HKG will be at T4 or TBIT. All are connected airside, so no need to reclear security. Assuming this is on one ticket, your bags will be checked through. Even if not on one ticket, I think that AA is still willing to check bags through since both flights are on AA, though I'm less sure about that.

Personally, I'd be entirely comfortable with 80 minutes.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP
eagle's nest layover

Advice please...

I have a 2:22 layover in the Eagle's nest this coming Friday night (9/23) where if everything is on time I arrive at the nest at 7pm and then leave at 9:22pm. It's been a while since I've been in the Eagle's nest so I don't know if I should stay put or head to the main terminal (T6 now I see) for food options. In particular I'm flying tus-lax then lax-pdx.

Many thanks
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:00 am

Hi, need some advice please. I'm flying SIN-BOS via LAX on the following itinerary:

SQ8 07NOV SIN/LAX 0245/0615
VX360 07NOV LAX/BOS 0830/1650

This will be a single ticket, so bags will be tagged through to BOS.

How will the immigration lines be like at that time of day? Will the transit desk/counter after customs be open at that time?
Old Sep 28, 2016, 4:48 pm

Connection time

Hi, I'd like some advice please, as it's been years since I flew anywhere on connecting flights.
I'm considering booking a flight from LAS-LAX-LHR, the connection time at LAX would be about 90 mins & I'd need to get from T4 to TBIT, is 90 mins enough time? My flight from LAS lands at 8.20pm & the LHR flight leaves at 9.55pm. Would I need to re-check bags & go through security again at LAX? Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2016, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tweedle
Hi, I'd like some advice please, as it's been years since I flew anywhere on connecting flights.
I'm considering booking a flight from LAS-LAX-LHR, the connection time at LAX would be about 90 mins & I'd need to get from T4 to TBIT, is 90 mins enough time? My flight from LAS lands at 8.20pm & the LHR flight leaves at 9.55pm. Would I need to re-check bags & go through security again at LAX? Thanks!
Presume you are coming in on American, leaving on British Airways, and on the same ticket? Please confirm. Answering your questions require more detail.

Assuming the previous paragraph is all "yes", then the connection is doable. Whether it is prudent is another story.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Would I need to re-check bags & go through security again at LAX? Thanks!
One ticket or two?

If your flights are booked on one ticket, even if you're traveling on AA from LAS to LAX and BA from LAX to LHR, you can check your bags through from LAS to LHR and you will not need to leave the secured area between flights. It takes less than 10 minutes to go between any two gates in T4 and TBIT via the recently opened T4-TBIT airside connector.

If you are traveling on separate tickets, then you'll have to leave the secured area, retrieve your bags, re-check them for your next flight and reclear security. In that case, 90 minutes is not likely to be enough time.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
One ticket or two?

If your flights are booked on one ticket, even if you're traveling on AA from LAS to LAX and BA from LAX to LHR, you can check your bags through from LAS to LHR and you will not need to leave the secured area between flights. It takes less than 10 minutes to go between any two gates in T4 and TBIT via the recently opened T4-TBIT airside connector.

If you are traveling on separate tickets, then you'll have to leave the secured area, retrieve your bags, re-check them for your next flight and reclear security. In that case, 90 minutes is not likely to be enough time.
It'll be on one ticket. Thanks for the replies, sounds like it's do-able.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:24 pm

It'll be on one ticket. Thanks for the replies, sounds like it's do-able.
And yes, the flight will be with AA from LAS to LAX, & with BA from LAX to LHR.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by vade
Hi, need some advice please. I'm flying SIN-BOS via LAX on the following itinerary:

SQ8 07NOV SIN/LAX 0245/0615
VX360 07NOV LAX/BOS 0830/1650

This will be a single ticket, so bags will be tagged through to BOS.

How will the immigration lines be like at that time of day? Will the transit desk/counter after customs be open at that time?
Looks like no one replied to you...

Immigration should be fine at 6:30 AM. I got off SQ8 last year and was at curb side in 15 minutes. But I'm US citizen... if you are foreign passport holder, you should expect at least 60 minutes in line. Several QF and VA flights arrive at the same time but it is not a super busy time at TBIT immigration.

There is no such thing as transit desk in the US. If your luggage is tagged to BOS, you can drop it off at the re-check station after custom (but before leaving the secured area). After that, it is a quick 5 minute walk to T3 to check in with VX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.