skip hotel for 5am departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

visiting LA, I have a 5am departure (on DL) on Sunday morning. I know I can get a hotel nearby, but I am just wondering if it would make more sense to skip the hotel altogether

I was thinking I could catch a late movie, then return my car (Budget is open 24 hrs) and go to the terminal--that would place me there at around 3am, about the time I would need to think about waking up at the hotel anyway.

Is security open at that time, or would I be stuck until they open later?

thanks
Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most of the security doesn't open til 4: terminal hours
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:39 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chrisl137
most of the security doesn't open til 4: terminal hours
Based upon recent experience when I was leaving on 5:00 am flights out of T4, when I got there at 3:30 am due to very light traffic, security was already open (not the Pre✓ line, though). I then had to wait till 4:00 am for the Admirals Club to open; the food and coffee concessions were also still closed.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You can definitely do this. As TWA884 noted, TSA check point generally opens approximately 2 hour before the first departure, despite published terminal hours.

However, I suggest you spend a little more time at a nearby 24 hour diner in Manhattan Beach. Catch a movie nearby and then eat something at the Kettle before going to LAX.

http://thekettle.net/

Or alternatively, visit a local landmark right next to LAX!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/randys-donuts-inglewood

Last edited by bzcat; Jan 13, 2016 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
A late movie is a great idea. Check out the theatre at The Promenade at Howard Hughes for showtimes (bonus points for reserved seating and 18+ only for some of their screenings, plus adult beverages).

The Kettle has some amazing bran muffins with some sort of syrupy glaze on top.. mmm...

Randy's is cool too, though I personally think a little overrated for the donuts themselves.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:56 pm

There's also this:

Sleeping in airports
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:24 pm

You could also enjoy a luxurious late night breakfast or steak at the historic 24/7 Pacific Dining Car near downtown. Be sure to sit in the front room, a converted vintage rail car. Traffic will be light and you'll be able to get to the airport quickly.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: WN A-List
So will you have a hotel Friday night? If so, I might do a late checkout Saturday, sleep in, and start all of your activities in the afternoon. That way you will only be up for 14-16 hours by the time you get on the plane.

If I knew I had to get up at 3am I know that I wouldn't sleep very well at a hotel.

Edit, looks like this is an old thread that got bumped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.