Wiki Posts
Search

Transporation from LAX to Irvine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Fastest and/or cheapest way to get from LAX to Irvine?

For Christmas I'm flying out to see family in the UK. I'm leaving outbound from SNA but returning to LAX on a Friday 1/2 at noon. Would airport express take me from LAX right to my home in Irvine?

Any options are appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Not sure about airport express but the Flyaway bus goes non-stop from LAX to the Irvine Amtrak station. I've used it to go from Irvine to LAX several times but have not travelled the reverse route.

I see the Flyaway stops out on the curb at LAX.

You can check the Flyaway schedule online.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: UA/AA
I'm not sure these guys are the fastest or the cheapest, but they should get the job done at a very reasonable price.

http://www.shuttle2lax.com/
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The Irvine Flyaway bus stopped running some time ago.

You can take one of the shuttle services or something like Execucar which is a private transport but cheaper than a true black car service.

Alternatively, you can do a one-way rental which is what I often do and that can be pretty cheap sometimes.

BTW - you might want to have this thread moved the LA forum where you'll likely get better responses from locals
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Prime Time and SuperShuttle vans run approx $50
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by airchick
Not sure about airport express but the Flyaway bus goes non-stop from LAX to the Irvine Amtrak station. I've used it to go from Irvine to LAX several times but have not travelled the reverse route.

I see the Flyaway stops out on the curb at LAX.

You can check the Flyaway schedule online.
Looks like that service was discontinued in Sep 2012.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:54 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the LAX Destination forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Mods please move accordingly.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
As noted above Flyaway some time ago. At least one person in the following thread has used the shuttle noted above multiple times without issues:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...sna-lax-2.html
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wonder if you could do a one way rental?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Fastest: Take a taxi $80~$100 depending on traffic and where exactly in Irvine; This will take about 1 hour.

Cheapest: Take Shuttle G to Aviation Station, transfer to Green Line and take to Willowbrook Station, transfer to Blue Line and take to 7th Street Metro Center, transfer to Red or Purple Line and take to Union Station, transfer to Metrolink Orange County line or Amtrak and take to Irvine Station. $1.75 on Metro (if you have TAP card, otherwise $2.75), $10.75 on Metrolink (or $18 on Amtrak). This will take about 3 hours.

Somewhere in between: Take FlyAway to Union Station instead of LAX Shuttle G and Metro will save you about 1 hour but cost $8 instead of $1.75.

Take a shared van shuttle will take about 2 hours and cost about $40~$50 but you will be dizzy driving all over Orange County in the back of a bouncing Ford E350 van.

One-way rental car will cost you at least $50 but will get you there in about 1.5 hour (need about 20~30 minutes to get to rental car counter).

Last edited by bzcat; Sep 26, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Old Sep 27, 2014, 3:34 pm

I live in Orange County, a bit north of Irvine.

When I do the LAX run, I usually hire a car with someone else to drive. It's easier and I prefer this way. But I have a friend who routinely does Yorba Linda to LAX via the Metrolink. He has a lot more coin than I have, but this is his way. You can use part of his route if it seems good to you. At LAX you need to look for the Green Line Bus. Supposedly it comes every 15 minutes and you need to look for a blue sign (yes, contrary to intuition). He tells me "stand under the blue sign."

The Green Line will take you from LAX to the Norwalk Metrolink station. A cross-section of life in the LA suburban sprawl awaits. From Norwalk, you can catch the Metrolink train to Irvine.

I've never actually done this for myself, but Google assures me it is possible, and you can see for yourself.

I would imagine that using public mass transit would be around $20 total, but it will also take you 2-3 hours, worst case. This is why I normally hire a private car service. It's around $100, but very professional, and typically the time required is around an hour, tops. Know your T-Rate...
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. One of the shuttle buses another poster recommended had $59/person fares on a express shuttle shared bus that states "no more than 1 stop before your dropoff". That sounds fair.

Is Uber X allowed to pickup at LAX? They aren't at ORD but I use them extensively to get dropped off there and are 60% cheaper than yellow cab.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for all the replies. One of the shuttle buses another poster recommended had $59/person fares on a express shuttle shared bus that states "no more than 1 stop before your dropoff". That sounds fair.

Is Uber X allowed to pickup at LAX? They aren't at ORD but I use them extensively to get dropped off there and are 60% cheaper than yellow cab.
Officially no. See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...light=uber+lax
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...light=uber+lax
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'll bet you could get ÜberX from In-n-Out....

And you always need a snack after a long flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.