Uber and Lyft @ LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber and Lyft @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Uber and Lyft @ LAX

Has anyone taken Uber from LAX? I have taken Uber to LAX but never from and was wondering if Uber cars were allowed to pick up passengers from LAX. If not, what is the workaround?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
Last I heard only UberX and Lyft weren't allowed at LAX. Uber's black car service should be fine.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by FTcadence
Last I heard only UberX and Lyft weren't allowed at LAX. Uber's black car service should be fine.
A few months back, an UberX driver told me they could only drop-off at LAX.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dedkends
A few months back, an UberX driver told me they could only drop-off at LAX.
They've been ticketing and impounding cars all summer for DROP OFFS. http://uberpeople.net/threads/lax-dr...crackdown.674/

Pick-ups certainly are not legal. Still unclear about drop offs. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...265630161.html

This is statewide, not just LAX.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Best workaround would be to use the (free) shuttle buses going from the terminals to either the Aviation/LAX metro station ('G' bus) or the Lot C Parking/LAX Transit Center on 96th St. and taking Uber/Lyft etc. from there. This will add about 20 minutes to your transit time ( at least, more during heavy traffic).
Alternatively, use any of the airport hotels nearby on Century Blvd as pickup point - the Radisson (I believe it's no longer a Radisson, though but was renamed "Concourse Hotel" last month or so) is even in walking distance - about 350m - from T1.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Uber will pickup right outside LAX on Sepulveda Blvd so you can walk (if you are at T1) or take Parking Spot Shuttle to In-N-Out Burgers, or take LAX Shuttle C and get off at the first stop outside LAX.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Originally Posted by CalItalian
They've been ticketing and impounding cars all summer for DROP OFFS. http://uberpeople.net/threads/lax-dr...crackdown.674/

Pick-ups certainly are not legal. Still unclear about drop offs. http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/lo...265630161.html

This is statewide, not just LAX.
I've never used Uber or Lyft and I'm not necessarily opposed to either one, but anybody that thought you could act like a taxi but not be subject to taxi regulations was out of their skull. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. Your friend with a car my a$$. Heck, why not start Uber Interstate and let people who own under utilized 15 passenger vans go up against Greyhound? Let me buy an old beater shuttle bus and start making runs between Vegas and LA with a group of "friends", no DOT permit or commercial license required, nah, can't be bothered with that kind of thing.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
I've never used Uber or Lyft and I'm not necessarily opposed to either one, but anybody that thought you could act like a taxi but not be subject to taxi regulations was out of their skull. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. Your friend with a car my a$$. Heck, why not start Uber Interstate and let people who own under utilized 15 passenger vans go up against Greyhound? Let me buy an old beater shuttle bus and start making runs between Vegas and LA with a group of "friends", no DOT permit or commercial license required, nah, can't be bothered with that kind of thing.
California now regulates Uber and Lyft under a new category of business called "transportation network companies". I believe California is the only state where these companies are licensed and regulated, although there may be others.

Pick-up, but not drop-off, at airports is controlled by the airport authority. Even regular taxi companies that are authorized to serve an area cannot pick up at the airport without special permission. As others have said, you can get picked up from an adjacent location.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:16 pm

The California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) has some regulations and rules but not many. They are the ones who set up that new category, "transportation network companies" but they don't have total control over these companies at all (nor does any state, as far as I know). As for LAX, the city of Los Angeles and LAWA are the ones who regulate and dictate who can pickup (definitely illegal) or (unclear but the Los Angeles Airport Police say no) drop off passengers at LAX. The state certainly does not have laws that regulate who can enter each airport in California and likely never will. This will be always be a local issue.

http://www.mercurynews.com/californi...ar-fight-block

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/n...gulations.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/08/20/663...want-more.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:54 pm

Unhand Uber, Leave Lyft Alone, Save Sidecar
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-C...e-Save-Sidecar
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
I've been picked up by Uber several times at LAX with no problem.

I've been dropped off by Uber just once. That one time, the driver asked me to fill in a pre-order form to make it look like I pre-booked the ride, presumably to cover his ... if he was stopped. This was a very simple form, and I'm in a comfy car with a bottle of water, so it wasn't a hardship for me.

Funny story - my wife and I flew into Burbank and LAX a week apart and got the very same Uber driver! And then he picked us both up again in West Hollywood a few days later. Kind of spooky.

One LA Uber driver told us that new Uber guys are being assigned to Orange County as there is too much capacity in LA County.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
FYI UberX cars, as of a month ago, WERE allowed to pick up at LAX if they displayed an Uber logo in their windshield.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:27 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
I was dropped off at LAX by UberX a couple days ago. After I got out of the car, a motorcycle cop pulled up to the driver and engaged in a rather long conversation. I don't know the discussion was about, or if he was cited, as I watched from inside the terminal for a minute then walked away while they were still talking.

The same driver said that he does pick-ups at LAX, but the protocol is to pick up on the departures level.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by LAXative
FYI UberX cars, as of a month ago, WERE allowed to pick up at LAX if they displayed an Uber logo in their windshield.
No, they never were legally.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
The same driver said that he does pick-ups at LAX, but the protocol is to pick up on the departures level.
That's not legal. Nobody can pickup on the departure level. I know shuttle/van drivers that work picking up and dropping off at LAX. My friend works for the LAX police. This is all illegal. Get caught and it will cost the driver a huge ticket and possible impound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.