Reload this Page >

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Below is a link to the 2014 thread. Much information there remains relevant, but to keep it from getting too long, this is your 2015 thread.
TWA884
Print Wikipost

2015 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:48 pm

LAX Domestic to International Connection Time Question

Hello --
I'm flying United from SLC to LAX then with United via Air Canada onto YYZ (Toronto, Canada) on Sunday. I have just 95 minutes to make the connection from Terminal 8 to Terminal 2. I have only carry-on luggage.

1) Is this enough time? Should I look into changing it? (Booked through Expedia by a colleague)
2) To save time, is it possible to cut through parking lots 7 and 1? Or would this be an even greater headache?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Q1: It should be sufficient time

Q2: Yes to cut through - I'd walk down on the arrivals level to just past the "spacehip" restaurant building and cut through there using the pedestrian crossings (You need to navigate the ground floor of a car park)
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I apologise if this has been answered previously.

Is LAX a good choice for an American back to back flight? I plan on arriving at 15:41 from HNL and departing back to HNL at 16:45.

Do arrivals offload into the departure area, or is it a case of having to go through arrivals, and back through the security search area.

I won't have checked luggage, so is this possible / advisable?

Thanks for any support.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:56 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I apologise if this has been answered previously.

Is LAX a good choice for an American back to back flight? I plan on arriving at 15:41 from HNL and departing back to HNL at 16:45.

Do arrivals offload into the departure area, or is it a case of having to go through arrivals, and back through the security search area.

I won't have checked luggage, so is this possible / advisable?

Thanks for any support.
You most likely will arrive and depart from the same terminal, T4. No need to clear security.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by danville 1K
You most likely will arrive and depart from the same terminal, T4. No need to clear security.
Great - thanks
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
As a general rule at US airports there are no separate areas for departing and arriving passengers in the terminals, except for international arrivals who have to clear immigration and customs.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA | VS | UA | DL
Not sure if this has been asked in the previous 57 pages. I'm arriving on a VS flight at T2 from LHR and connecting to DL at T5. Is there a way to walk right accross through the car park or should I stick to walking around World Way and past T3, TBIT, T4 etc...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
For that you can use the ground level pedestrian crossings at T2 and between T5 & T6.

You take the T2 crossing, then skirt the East of "Park #2", around to the West of the Restaurant Building then walk just inside the Eastern edge of "Park #6" before taking the aforementioned pedestrian crossing to T5.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...a87b57698badf1
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:46 am

Terminal question at LAX (domestic)

Don't laugh at me, but I need tacos...and i don't travel much.

I have a flight at Terminal 8, but want to grab tacos at Terminal 4 before my flight. Is it possible to go through security at terminal 4 even though my flight is United at Terminal 8?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:19 am

There is an airside tunnel that connects from Terminal 7 all the way to Terminal 4. And from my recent visit to LAX there was no more signage for Terminal 8. I think Terminal 8 has been absorbed into Terminal 7 by United and Continental merging. So assuming you can access Terminal 7, you'll be able to get to Terminal 4 airside. But it's a hell of a walk. In a dark, depressing, narrow underground tunnel.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:11 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
And from my recent visit to LAX there was no more signage for Terminal 8. I think Terminal 8 has been absorbed into Terminal 7 by United and Continental merging.
Terminal 8 has always been more like a second concourse of Terminal 7 than a free standing terminal; Gates 80 - 88 are located there. Please refer to United's LAX terminal map.

In the years prior to the merger, Continental operated out of Terminal 6.

Please refer to the Wiki post at the topic of this consolidated thread:
T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

<snip>

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8).

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm Reason: Add detail
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The tunnels are not too bad:

Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Dcc Df
Is it possible to go through security at terminal 4 even though my flight is United at Terminal 8?
Yes. I have not had any trouble clearing security at any of T4/T5/T6/T7 even when I'm flying out of a different terminal. Ideally, you clear security at T4, enjoy your tacos, then head over to T8, easy peasy (albeit a long walk). Though, depending on time of day, T4 security lines can be ridiculous.

From my experience, T6 seems to be the least busy, but YMMV, and may be other experts can chime in (LAX is not really my home airport).
Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Originally Posted by Dcc Df
Don't laugh at me, but I need tacos...and i don't travel much.

I have a flight at Terminal 8, but want to grab tacos at Terminal 4 before my flight. Is it possible to go through security at terminal 4 even though my flight is United at Terminal 8?
^ Actually a very good question. Welcome to Flyertalk DCC Df! And enjoy your tacos!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: QF QR TH LH
Transfer Time in LAX [QF to DL]

We have not been to LAX for 20 years. In QF83 J class @07.10 and transferring to Delta 1414 @10.00. Will the 1.50 hour be enough time to clear immigration AND customs AND collect baggage AND walk to the Delta terminal from Tom Bradley AND then queue up again for security etc. We are on Australian passports so I assume we are "aliens" so the queues will be longer than residents. Do QAN issue some sort of "fast pass" to business passengers at LAX? Any other info. appreciated as well. Thanks in advance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.