Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:41 pm

Thanks, both.

Trip is in January so I guess I still need to walk to T1.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
How on earth did you get Qantas to put flights on USAir on the same PNR? Even though the AA merger has cleared legal hurdles, USAir won't enter OneWorld till Springtime... We will assume your comment re/ "all on one PNR" is actually your Qantas domestic & international flights.

Ignoring the US flights for a second -- I have serious concerns about your Australian flights. Having flown to SYD many times, I know that outbound customs can take a *LONG* time. You'll be able to use the Qantas transfer bus, but the bus ride (which is slower now due to SYD construction) and the outbound customs can easily take 1.5 hours.

Definitely beg Qantas for an express pass. I would not try that connection if I were in your shoes. SYD is even worse than LAX for Dom <--> International connections and I never allow anything less than 3 hrs there.

Back to LAX --- I'll answer your questions with the assumption that Qantas won't give you USAir passes. Ultimately it doesn't really matter anyway.

1. Nope. Qantas will only give you passes to LAX. The bag drop place in TBIT for USAir should be able to print your passes and retag your luggage (which will also only be tagged for LAX).

2. Correct. You will clear passport control (should take ~2 hrs) and then collect your bags & clear customs (should be quick provided you have no major items to declare). You can then proceed to the bag drop, where they should be able to get you passes and retag your luggage.

3. Should be able to get them in TBIT if you're nice. If you're not or the agent is in a bad mood, they may force you to T1.

To get to T1, you'll need about 10-15 minutes walking. The shuttle will take longer as it travels the opposite way and you'll have to go all the way round. Exit TBIT to the left at **DEPARTURE** level. You can also use the arrival (lower) level, but departure level will be more pleasant assuming it is not raining.

3.5 hours should be enough time provided you arrive on time. T1 security may be a bit slow thanks to Southwest, but you should still be ok. The food options in T1 are ... limited, just something to keep in mind.

-- Dan
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:41 pm

The 850 one is fine. Here's my estimate for timings:

1. Clear Passport Control / Customs: 2 hrs
  2. Walk to T1: 15 minutes
  3. Checkin and security in T1: 1 hr

Addons:
  1. Not US Citizen: +1 hr
  2. Significant declarations on arrival (food, excess money, etc.): +.5 hrs

Time estimate: 3:15 (or 4:15 if not a US citizen).

Note there is no bag drop at TBIT for Southwest, you will need to walk with your bags to T1. Exit TBIT to the left side at DEPARTURE level if it is not raining. Use the arrival level only if raining.

2:15 could work if all of the following are true:
* You have no checked bags
* You have no declarations
* You have Global Entry (or Nexus which is the Canadian equivalent if I remember right.).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by debracey
How on earth did you get Qantas to put flights on USAir on the same PNR? Even though the AA merger has cleared legal hurdles, USAir won't enter OneWorld till Springtime...
Airlines ticketing and baggage interline agreements are not dependent on alliance memberships. Qantas appears to have an interline baggage agreement with US Airways.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by debracey
The 850 one is fine. Here's my estimate for timings:

1. Clear Passport Control / Customs: 2 hrs
  2. Walk to T1: 15 minutes
  3. Checkin and security in T1: 1 hr

Addons:
  1. Not US Citizen: +1 hr
  2. Significant declarations on arrival (food, excess money, etc.): +.5 hrs

Time estimate: 3:15 (or 4:15 if not a US citizen).

Note there is no bag drop at TBIT for Southwest, you will need to walk with your bags to T1. Exit TBIT to the left side at DEPARTURE level if it is not raining. Use the arrival level only if raining.

2:15 could work if all of the following are true:
* You have no checked bags
* You have no declarations
* You have Global Entry (or Nexus which is the Canadian equivalent if I remember right.).
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Looks like 850 will be the one.

Last October, we were routed on the same AB flight from DUS, and connected to an AA to SMF sometime after 8. The AB flight arrived perhaps 15 minutes early, and I recall we were done with everything by 530 to 545. I was just investigating whether we could try to get home a little earlier, as the trip entails being up for 24 to 27 hours; on this one we originate in ZRH; on the last one it was BCN.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. Looks like 850 will be the one.

Last October, we were routed on the same AB flight from DUS, and connected to an AA to SMF sometime after 8. The AB flight arrived perhaps 15 minutes early, and I recall we were done with everything by 530 to 545. I was just investigating whether we could try to get home a little earlier, as the trip entails being up for 24 to 27 hours; on this one we originate in ZRH; on the last one it was BCN.
Yeah, unfortunately the CBP situation at LAX is a total shot in the dark. Sometimes you can clear quickly, other times it takes hours. It was bad earlier this year, but things seem to have improved.

The situation is a bit different with AA because they'll just put you on the next flight if you get stuck due to CBP or delays from AB (assuming it's one PNR). With Southwest, you get no assistance.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:04 pm

Yes, but Qantas is notorious for *not* interlining anything outside of OneWorld, even if on the same PNR. Last year I flew Qantas as part of a single PNR with UA (which is also on the page you mentioned) and Qantas wouldn't help me.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Qantas will most definitely interline luggage if on the one ticket.

As for USair, it was only a few years ago that Qantas Club members could use US Airway Club lounges before travel on US.

Anyway, candyanne, after landing at TBIT you will be going to need to collect your luggage after passing immigration but before passing customs.

Once through customs you need to look for the bag redeposit area to drop you bags off.

After that, you would be landside and you head out. At this point you have two main choices:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?m...24921,0.035491

1. Turn left and walk the 850 metres or so to T1 (it's normally nicer up at the departures level, so find the escalators/stairs leading up before heading around).

2. Take the "A" bus - to the left from the inner road circle (blue stop on this map, TBIT is on the left side), get off at T1 (after passing stops for T4, T5, T6 & T7/8).

LAX Ground Transportation and Waiting Area Map

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 18, 2016 at 4:16 pm Reason: Replaced oversized image with a link
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:30 pm

Thanks, guys.

Dan, I'm concerned now about the Australian flights too, but based on earlier in this thread I doubt Qantas would move us to an earlier flight even if I asked.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by candyann
Thanks, guys.

Dan, I'm concerned now about the Australian flights too, but based on earlier in this thread I doubt Qantas would move us to an earlier flight even if I asked.
Show up at ADL early and use the full service checkin. The Qantas agents are usually quite nice and will usually put you on earlier flights (space available.) Do some research ahead of time to figure out when the earlier departures are.

I was in this situation a year or so ago going from Canberra to Sydney. Qantas moved me to an earlier flight without any problem.

-- Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.