Search

Half day date near LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Half day date near LAX?

Off to a semi-blind date (I know how the person looks like) in L.A. soon. It's half a day, lunch plus afternoon. What to do?

First thought was the Getty Museum but you can't talk in museums. The Huntington Library is another possibility because much of it is outdoors. Airplane museums such as the one in Chino is big so you can talk but airplanes is an esoteric interest. I saw the Santa Monica Museum of Art on a list but, then again, you might have to be relatively quiet.

Any other possibilities? Looking at the Hollywood stars might be interesting but then there might be quite a few stars that I don't know much about.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Huntington Library is a looooooonnnnnnngggggg way from LAX. Traffic getting back is bound to be terrible.

Try Santa Monica, nice restaurants, fun downtown area to walk around (Third Street Promenade), you could walk down to the pier, along the beach, etc.

Given the variety of things to do there, you are bound to find something the other person likes, too.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
...I've always enjoyed Manhattan Beach, as a close-to-LAX place for getting-to-know you talks.....easy parking near Beach.....wide variety of restaurants.....pleasant paved public sidewalk along top of beach which lets you gaze out at waves or beach action or into the windows of expensive beach homes....so lots of discussion topics pop up for easy first-time conversations.

Save Getty museum for a later date when you can walk hand-in-hand through the dramatic garden spiral walk.....
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Huntington Library is a looooooonnnnnnngggggg way from LAX. Traffic getting back is bound to be terrible.

Try Santa Monica, nice restaurants, fun downtown area to walk around (Third Street Promenade), you could walk down to the pier, along the beach, etc.

We did Santa Monica on the first blind date (but it wasn't a full fledged date because there was the introducing person). Doesn't have to be close to LAX since I have the entire day from morning to late night before completing the mileage run.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Hmmm, how about a short drive up PCH to Malibu?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
You could always grab some picnic supplies at Bay Cities Deli in Santa Monica and head up to Will Rogers State Park. On a weekday you may very well have the park to yourselves.

If it's a clear day, consider the Griffith Observatory, nice views of LA and there's enough of an outdoor area to walk around and talk also.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
I'd go to the Manhattan Beach Pier area. It has a nice strand for strolling, a variety of restaurants from low key to fine dining and the pier itself is fun.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:38 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by peersteve
Save Getty museum for a later date when you can walk hand-in-hand through the dramatic garden spiral walk.....
My ex and I always planned to go to the Getty, but we never made it! Now I wish we had gotten there, you make it sound so romantic! *sniff*
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:40 pm

Can't talk in museums? My wife and I have talked in museums, and seen tour groups with talking guides. Both Getty museums (the Getty Center off I-405 and the Getty Villa in Malibu) have outdoor areas, and eateries where you can talk all you want. I think the Malibu facility is a bit more intimate and romantic. The gardens are quite nice (and you can talk). There are even free guided tours both inside the museum and in the gardens. And if you don't eat at the museum there are places along the beach to eat. Free entrance, but $15 parking (and for the Villa you are asked to get a free date-stamped entrance ticket online). Otherwise, how about the Santa Monica Pier? Or the Petersen car museum? Or, if you're both movie buffs, a tour through Sony Studios (formerly MGM) in Culver City.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 12:10 am

the only downside to the getty museum is that it's such an isolated place that it doesn't link well with other things you might want to do (like eating) since it's a decent drive to get there and back to anywhere with things to do.

manhattan beach is a good suggestion. if you have more time, rancho palos verdes or newport beach are nice places to visit if you like more scenic areas. or how about something within LA proper like bev hills or the hollywood area?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by japaik
the only downside to the getty museum is that it's such an isolated place that it doesn't link well with other things you might want to do (like eating) since it's a decent drive to get there and back to anywhere with things to do.

manhattan beach is a good suggestion. if you have more time, rancho palos verdes or newport beach are nice places to visit if you like more scenic areas. or how about something within LA proper like bev hills or the hollywood area?
The main Getty Center is near restaurants in Westwood and Brentwood, and the Getty Villa is close to a number of restaurants on the beach, but I agree both are a longer drive from LAX than are Manhattan Beach, etc. We don't know the exact hours involved (and if rush hour traffic is a factor, they may want to stay nearer to the airport area). And they do say "near LAX" (at first I thought it involved them flying in and then riding with the date or renting a car, but now I'm not so sure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.