The Standard LA

Old Jan 12, 2006, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

The Standard LA

I'll be traveling to LA in a couple weeks and currently have a reservation for a "Wow!" from at The Standard downtown. I am in my 20s and a friend told me this is a fun place to be. Any comments?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by thelark
I'll be traveling to LA in a couple weeks and currently have a reservation for a "Wow!" from at The Standard downtown. I am in my 20s and a friend told me this is a fun place to be. Any comments?
I have a son only slightly older than you and he recently stayed at The Standard Downtown (he attended a wedding nearby and didn't want to drive). He thought the hotel was kind of cheezy, rooms were small, place was very noisy, but it is definitely a "scene." There is another Standard on the Sunset Strip, which IMHO is more convenient to trendy nightspots, dining and people watching. It is also a bit of a scene. Both are geared to the young, hip crowd.
Have fun
Old Jan 12, 2006, 8:47 pm

If it's more convenient for you to be near downtown, the Downtown Standard will be best. Otherwise, I'd try a hotel on the Sunset Strip: the Mondrian, the Standard, or the Sunset Marquis, e.g.
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
It will be fun enough on a weekend night. The rooftop pool party (Sunday-daytime) is only in summer. Close enough to Silverlake and Hollywood via the freeway. Go clubbing Friday and invite a group to party at Standard Saturday and you'll have a great time.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been to many wild nights on the rooftop of the downtown Standard during the winter. As long as the weather is nice, people will be up there. Some winters we have good weather, some we don't.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:52 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
If you don't have to, avoid downtown. The sunset standard is great--trendy lobby, built-in club (which your key will give you access to), a great 24-hour diner, and about a block away from the SkyBar
Old Jul 5, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
can anybody give any good recommendations on deals for the Downtown standard. have a family member that will be staying there this weekend.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
There is a deal here http://www.downtownla.com/summer-nig...ummer%2BNights [scroll down] but I will check else where too. I live in in Downtown LA so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Downtown has changed drastically since the above posts in 2006.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 6:21 am

Similar question...

Next month we are staying at the Andaz on Sunset on a Saturday evening and the W Hollywood on a Thurs & possibly also Friday evening.

On vacation, and also hoping these places are 'fun'. Any comments?
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Similar question...

Next month we are staying at the Andaz on Sunset on a Saturday evening and the W Hollywood on a Thurs & possibly also Friday evening.

On vacation, and also hoping these places are 'fun'. Any comments?
If you go to the Hyatt forum you will see a lot of FTers stay at the Andaz and most of them have stayed there many times. I have been there several times. Love it! It is in West Hollywood so there are a lot of places nearby to check out within walking distance. They have a great pool with cabanas with wonderful views. I haven't heard anything negative.

The W Hollywood is also frequented by FTers. I have visited many FTers there and stayed there once recently. It also has a fun clubby type pool and Drais, a nightclub, near the pool area. It is located across from the Pantages Theatre and just a short walk to Hollywood and Highland, Grauman's Chinese Theatre and many icons of Hollywood. It is also located above the Hollywood and Vine Red Line (subway) which can take you to Universal Studios or to Downtown Los Angeles.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 6:18 pm

I'm thinking about going when I'm in town. Anyone been to the rooftop bar recently? From everything I'm reading people are saying that it's a chill, laidback spot.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by Playboy
I'm thinking about going when I'm in town. Anyone been to the rooftop bar recently? From everything I'm reading people are saying that it's a chill, laidback spot.
I think it depends on the day of the week and time of year. It might be chill early in the week, but not by Thurs & Fri.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
I think it depends on the day of the week and time of year. It might be chill early in the week, but not by Thurs & Fri.
I was thinking of a Thursday night as I've read that Fridays and Sats are not so chill.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by Playboy
I was thinking of a Thursday night as I've read that Fridays and Sats are not so chill.
Thursday is busy with people who can go out on a Thursday and not worry about work on Friday. Thursday is when I have seen Hollywood types there, but that was mostly when the hotel first opened. Friday and Saturday are the people who would have liked to have been there on Thursday. That is my experience at least.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Was having drinks around the corner at library bar (great place btw - worth checking out if you're loking for a chill place) a couple Wednesdays ago, and by the time i was headed out at ~10pm, the standard was already seriously busy...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.