Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst time to fly out of LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Worst time to fly out of LAX?

I usually fly out of burbank but lately my company has planned a few flights out of lax for me. These are domestic flights with delta, aa, ua etc. Since they gave me the option of choosing flight times, I was wondering what day & times of the week is the busiest time to fly out of lax?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Early morning and late evenings are generally bad because AA/DL/UA all have multiple transcons. AA terminal is kind of a zoo all day until about 1AM after the last Qantas departure.

The absolute worst day/time for departures for south side (AA/DL/UA)? Sunday 8-11PM and Monday 6-10AM.

The absolute worst day/time for departures for north side (Southwest, US Air, Virgin)? Friday 3pm to midnight Vegas/Phoenix/Bay Area shuttle runs/stripper express, and Monday 6-10AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
Early morning and late evenings are generally bad because AA/DL/UA all have multiple transcons. AA terminal is kind of a zoo all day until about 1AM after the last Qantas departure.

The absolute worst day/time for departures for south side (AA/DL/UA)? Sunday 8-11PM and Monday 6-10AM.

The absolute worst day/time for departures for north side (Southwest, US Air, Virgin)? Friday 3pm to midnight Vegas/Phoenix/Bay Area shuttle runs/stripper express, and Monday 6-10AM.
Where are you leaving from and how do you get to the airport? For me, the worst times are those that require driving in rush hour traffic. Maybe early afternoon, though early morning (assuming I could get my wife up that early) or very late evening (assuming you're close enough to leave for the airport after rush hour) would work. For me, the traffic getting to the airport would be the biggest factor, with traffic in the airport second, and crowds in the terminals third. But each has their own priorities, and info above is useful.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SoCal
Where are you leaving from and how do you get to the airport? For me, the worst times are those that require driving in rush hour traffic. Maybe early afternoon, though early morning (assuming I could get my wife up that early) or very late evening (assuming you're close enough to leave for the airport after rush hour) would work. For me, the traffic getting to the airport would be the biggest factor, with traffic in the airport second, and crowds in the terminals third. But each has their own priorities, and info above is useful.
Agree with SoCal. Airport staffing seems to scale up appropriately based on typically busy times each week. Its the traffic that can mess you up. Early morning is always best in my experience. Other than that, avoid being on the freeway 7-10 am and 3-8pm weekdays if at all possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.