Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Duty Free Question from New Zealand

Old Dec 14, 2011, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

I'm travelling from NZ to LAX, which is not my final US destination. I've read on government websites that you can have a personal allowance of 1 litre of alcohol & 200 cigarettes (or a carton).

Can the alcohol be purchased at the duty free as I depart NZ or would I not be able to get the duty free alcohol onto the domestic flight since it would be over the 100ml liquid carryon luggage requirement? If not, is there a duty-free on arrival shop where you could buy it, or would you have the same problem with another connecting domestic flight?

I've just heard a couple of horror stories from people travelling with nice NZ wine & having to ditch it all in LAX; I wanted to make sure before dropping any cash on the way out.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You will not be allowed to take any liquid thru security in LAX. Unfortunately on international arrivals into LAX everyone is dumped out of the secure area and has to go back thru to get on their next flight, be it international or domestic. One option is to place any liquid duty free in checked luggage, which you reclaim in LAX and drop back off for your ongoing flight. Just be sure to leave room in it for what you plan to purchase.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Just put the wine in your checked luggage before your next flight and you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.