Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Westwood to LAX on a Saturday morning

Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Usually we drive and park at Parking Spot - now that we live in LA instead of Camarillo, we are considering taking a taxi to LAX (shared ride shuttle has worked for us before but this time it's less attractive - we're not checking bags, yet the pickup time for two different companies was four hours before the flight - so we're thinking we can do better since it's just from Westwood).

Rates look consistent between taxi companies but which one is reliable? Can you schedule a time with them in advance and if so, how close to that time do they actually arrive - how much pad would you / do you add to allow for a driver running behind or whatever? It sounds nice to get dropped at the terminal and not have to park at the Spot and take a shuttle (and it costs less) - the tradeoff is having no control over what happens and when we'd make it to LAX. So, we're trying to sort out if a taxi is a decent option or if it's better to just drive and park ourselves and not have to depend on anyone else, if that makes sense.

We don't care about a driver's personality or being catered to, we just want to be on time (not waiting and wondering if they are coming or if we should just jump in the car and drive anyway). It would be really nice to just be able to get picked up at the same time we'd leave if we were driving ourselves. It's obviously / definitely better to hang at the airport if we're early instead of fearing being late, too.

I'm sure I'm overthinking it but we've not been in a position to do this before - and I've already read quite a few Yelp reviews of no-shows by different companies. It would be great to know of your experiences and recommendations - thanks.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Um, have you tried calling any taxi companies directly and asking them what their pick up/drop off procedure is for trips to LAX? My guess would be that they work like the shuttle companies. You tell them what time your flight is or what time you want to be at the airport and they schedule a time to pick you up. Beverly Hills Cab comes to mind immediately. I'm sure that the cab companies have a system worked out as it won't be the first time that they've taken reservations for passengers needing to be at the airport at a certain time. I just wouldn't book or make a reservation too far in advance.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 7:29 am
Original Poster

It's weird - but from the reviews of taxi companies, it looks like many people request a certain pickup time in advance for flights but the taxis still don't show or are late.

I've not called around yet because there were so many negative reviews of so many companies - was hoping for some positive experiences from Flyertalkers instead of taking a shot in the dark.

Edited to add -

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Beverly Hills Cab comes to mind immediately.
Originally Posted by flightfulbird
we just want to be on time (not waiting and wondering if they are coming or if we should just jump in the car and drive anyway).

I googled "Beverly Hills Cab Yelp" - errr, they are an example . . .

Last edited by flightfulbird; Aug 19, 2011 at 8:01 am Reason: clarity
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:58 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You are probably better off using an airport town car or limousine service. According to friends, they are very reliable and reasonable priced. I am not sure which ones they used.

Google search results
Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:10 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by flightfulbird
It's weird - but from the reviews of taxi companies, it looks like many people request a certain pickup time in advance for flights but the taxis still don't show or are late.

I've not called around yet because there were so many negative reviews of so many companies - was hoping for some positive experiences from Flyertalkers instead of taking a shot in the dark.

Edited to add -

I googled "Beverly Hills Cab Yelp" - errr, they are an example . . .
I never thought to check out cab companies on Yelp...

I've used Beverly Hills Cab for about 10 early morning pickups (picked up 4:30am to make 7am flight). I come from West Hollywood. I don't remember why I initially picked BH Cab, but I have their number in my phone and it's the one I always use.

I call the night before (well more like 5 hours before when I'm scrambling around with last minute preparations).

Never had an issue, they were always on time. I'd receive a computerized message call when they were downstairs. And I'm always running late, so I'd always have to call back and say "tell the driver I'll be down in 5". And the driver was always there.

But I've been looking for a car service instead for an upcoming trip - I'd just prefer the guarantee I'd get a clean car (cabs are usually, well, cab-like in their upkeep).

See this thread if interested:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...-question.html
Old Aug 19, 2011, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your advice - I think a car service would be really nice - it's the time factor more than anything else and it sounds like they would be more consistent or predictable than either taxi or shared shuttle. We have more time to sort it out before we fly so I will watch for more replies for sure.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have been pleased with Beverly Hills Taxi. Very reliable.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Beverly Hills Taxi is fine...but, you said you are in Westwood. Why not take the FlyAway Bus? Free WiFi, scheduled service, no stops (other than the terminals), cheap. It leaves from UCLA Lot 32 in Westwood Village on Kinross and is only $10.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Beverly Hills Taxi is fine...but, you said you are in Westwood. Why not take the FlyAway Bus? Free WiFi, scheduled service, no stops (other than the terminals), cheap. It leaves from UCLA Lot 32 in Westwood Village on Kinross and is only $10.
$10? Wow. It used to be only $4 5 years ago.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by N1120A
From Westwood, there is no better choice than FlyAway. Taking a taxi or shuttle from Westwood is kind of crazy, especially on Saturday morning (light traffic). The FlyAway bus will get there just as fast as taxi and much faster than any shuttle.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by bzcat
From Westwood, there is no better choice than FlyAway. Taking a taxi or shuttle from Westwood is kind of crazy, especially on Saturday morning (light traffic). The FlyAway bus will get there just as fast as taxi and much faster than any shuttle.
I second that. Flyaway will be the most convenient since you aren't checking bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.