Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The stuck-in-the-80s feel is mainly because the airport hasn't been updated since the early 80s when it was renovated for the 1984 Olympics. Since that time, NIMBYs in the Westchester area and lack of leadership from the City and LAWA itself have stalled all development plans. Aside from a limited redo of T4 and minor refurbishment of T5 and T6, LAX terminals has not changed since 1983.

It took the current Mayor, who cleaned house and appointed a new LAWA management to actually get going on TBIT expansion and renovation. And we are finally getting some traction on automated people mover and light rail extension that will bring the trains to the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
The stuck-in-the-80s feel is mainly because the airport hasn't been updated since the early 80s when it was renovated for the 1984 Olympics. Since that time, NIMBYs in the Westchester area and lack of leadership from the City and LAWA itself have stalled all development plans. Aside from a limited redo of T4 and minor refurbishment of T5 and T6, LAX terminals has not changed since 1983.

It took the current Mayor, who cleaned house and appointed a new LAWA management to actually get going on TBIT expansion and renovation. And we are finally getting some traction on automated people mover and light rail extension that will bring the trains to the airport.

Get your facts straight.
The "nimby's" in Westchester have had NOTHING to do with the lack of renovations to ANY terminal or light rail/people mover at LAX.

That is a FACT.

HP
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by HighPotter
Get your facts straight.
The "nimby's" in Westchester have had NOTHING to do with the lack of renovations to ANY terminal or light rail/people mover at LAX.

That is a FACT.

HP
LAWA's plan to replace T1/T2/T3 is tied up with moving the north runway, which is blocked by NIMBYs of various degree of crazy. The TBIT expansion had few NIMBY opposition this time but early attempts were rebuffed by NIMBYs who successfully argued for the silly multi-airport regional strategy. Again, as I also pointed out, the slow progress is also due to indifference of LAWA and City leadership (in the face of NIMBYs and otherwise).

The current leadership has moved the ball forward and appeased some of the NIMBY factions with restoration of Westchester golf course and other goodwill gestures. But the north runway and T1/T2/T3 modernization is still not happening.

Last edited by bzcat; Sep 23, 2011 at 12:27 pm
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:01 pm

LAWA's plan to replace T1/T2/T3 is tied up with moving the north runway, which is blocked by NIMBYs of various degree of crazy. The TBIT expansion had few NIMBY opposition this time but early attempts were rebuffed by NIMBYs who successfully argued for the silly multi-airport regional strategy. Again, as I also pointed out, the slow progress is also due to indifference of LAWA and City leadership (in the face of NIMBYs and otherwise).

The current leadership has moved the ball forward and appeased some of the NIMBY factions with restoration of Westchester golf course and other goodwill gestures. But the north runway and T1/T2/T3 modernization is still not happening.
COMPLETELY inaccurate. The movement of the North runway, and a remodel of T-1 thru 3 are totally different issues.

LAWA moved the south 25's, but didn't "expand" T-4 through 8, did they?

Terminals 1,2 and 3 can be remodeled and revamped without moving EITHER of the 24's runways further north.

And since the moving of 24R has always been the ONLY REAL plan presented by LAWA ( not 24L), your NIMBY argument in regards to remodeling the north terminals, holds no merit.

HP
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:30 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
COMPLETELY inaccurate. The movement of the North runway, and a remodel of T-1 thru 3 are totally different issues.

<snip>

And since the moving of 24R has always been the ONLY REAL plan presented by LAWA ( not 24L), your NIMBY argument in regards to remodeling the north terminals, holds no merit.
Mayor Hahn's LAX modernization plan involved moving the inner runway on LAX's north side in order to to accommodate a center taxiway and increase the separation between the runways. That plan required the demolition of Terminals 1, 2 and 3 (LAX Master Plan).

That plan was opposed by Westchester residents. The city dropped that proposal in exchange for a promise by airport-area communities to drop federal and state lawsuits that challenged it (Los Angeles Times).

Eventually, a panel of academics determined that the current runway configuration is safe and that while increasing the separation between the two runways may improve safety, the current risk is so low that reducing it further would not result in any practical benefits (ARSAC). That news was welcomed in Westchester (Los Angeles Times).
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
But they are renovating TBIT right now. And they have temporarily shut down some gates in T4 to accommodate or something.
American claims to be renovating. That means they are using some remote gates. When my flight from BOS to LAX arrived at a remote gate a couple of weeks ago, it was a surprisingly long bus ride to the terminal. I think we may have been out where the old Imperial terminal was for those who remember that.

I lived in LA for 17 years and it is my most frequent business travel destination, so I'm used to LAX. It's not wonderful, but it isn't nearly as bad as MIA.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel
American claims to be renovating. That means they are using some remote gates. When my flight from BOS to LAX arrived at a remote gate a couple of weeks ago, it was a surprisingly long bus ride to the terminal. I think we may have been out where the old Imperial terminal was for those who remember that.

I lived in LA for 17 years and it is my most frequent business travel destination, so I'm used to LAX. It's not wonderful, but it isn't nearly as bad as MIA.

The remote stands are in the north/west portions of the airport.

The old Imperial Terminal is/was on the south side of the airport, about midway down 25L.

HP
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:59 am

LAWA moved the south 25's, but didn't "expand" T-4 through 8, did they?

Terminals 1,2 and 3 can be remodeled and revamped without moving EITHER of the 24's runways further north.

HP
I guess you are one of those NIMBYs in Westchester

TWA884 has already owned you so I will just leave it at that. The current state of terminals has everything to do with 25 years of NIMBY interference. Just as much as indifferent city and LAWA leadership.

Last edited by bzcat; Sep 26, 2011 at 12:04 pm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:11 pm

I guess you are one of those NIMBYs in Westchester

TWA884 has already owned you so I will just leave it at that. The current state of terminals has everything to do with 25 years of NIMBY interference. Just as much as indifferent city and LAWA leadership.

TWA884 has hardly "owned" me, child.

If you actually READ the proposal in TWA's link, it states the plan is to move 24L south, and would mean demolition and reconstruction of Terminals 1,2 and 4.

No Westchester resident would be against this proposal, since it would have NO impact on the airport boundaries.

If your issue is with moving 24R to the NORTH, rerouting all 6 lanes of Lincoln Blvd, and wiping out more business and increasing even more noise in the area....then that is different.

But that plan has been found by NASA to have no merit.

HP
Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

A renovation..

This is the first I've heard in a long time that anyone is renovating at LAX..^
Old Sep 27, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
American claims to be renovating.
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A renovation..

This is the first I've heard in a long time that anyone is renovating at LAX..^
AA isn't renovating in the sense of improving aesthetics. AA's terminal refurb was done back in 2001. Currently, they are closing two gates at a time to install new fuel lines.

The only thing that can be considered a renovation would be the new concessions scheduled to be setup this year.

LAX T4 getting better food options
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
AA isn't renovating in the sense of improving aesthetics. AA's terminal refurb was done back in 2001. Currently, they are closing two gates at a time to install new fuel lines.

The only thing that can be considered a renovation would be the new concessions scheduled to be setup this year.

LAX T4 getting better food options
The renos I guess is bringing it from the 60's back up to the 80's..

drab looking, tired.. but I guess LAX airport gets the job done
Old Sep 28, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
The renos I guess is bringing it from the 60's back up to the 80's..

drab looking, tired.. but I guess LAX airport gets the job done
I would say that applies to many of the other terminals. But AA spent a considerable amount of money on T4 and the Admirals Club to give the facility a modern feel.

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Sep 28, 2011 at 7:29 am
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:58 am

I would say that applies to many of the other terminals. But AA spent a considerable amount of money on T4 and the Admirals Club to give the facility a modern feel.
Maybe they should use more glass to bring in more sunlight.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Looks pretty nice actually..

I didn't know that AA modernized their terminal.. the terminals I've been is an eyesore, and seems cavernous old..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.