Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California > Los Angeles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 12, 11, 11:21 am   #1
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 33,760
Best Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings) in LA

So... resident experts of all LA things Chinese... where do I go to get the best Xiao Long Bao's in Los Angeles....?????

Please tell me where I have to go... dont mind a hole in the wall place, dont need a fancy setting, I just want the best XBL's in town.

Thanks,
Alex / Gaucho100K
__________________
Come to ARGENTINA & try the Wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!
www.argenology.com
Gaucho100K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 11, 2:27 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ORD LAX/PSP HKG
Programs: SPG Plat; MR LT Plat; IHG Plat Amb; UA 1KMM; National EE; Avis PC; Hertz 5*
Posts: 535
Just sent you a PM.

Last edited by ktjan; Jun 12, 11 at 2:28 pm. Reason: Please delete
ktjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 11, 3:42 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, DL, UA
Posts: 1,178
http://www.yelp.com/biz/din-tai-fung...g%20tAi%20feng

Din Tai Fung is located in Arcadia about 30 miles east of Downtown and should be about 1 hour drive from your hotel near LAX
bzcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 11, 3:45 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjan View Post
Just sent you a PM.
Is this a secret?
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 11, 8:07 pm   #5
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 33,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktjan View Post
Just sent you a PM.
Didnt get a message.....
__________________
Come to ARGENTINA & try the Wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!
www.argenology.com
Gaucho100K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 11, 1:05 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 6,946
Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).

While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home) but the other two are just as good.

1. J & J / Jin Jian Restaurant

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776

2. Mei Long Village

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-4769

3. Happy Kitchen

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-2619
azepine00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 11, 6:58 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: lax
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).
do you know there's a back dining room w/ a wait that's usually a lot shorter?
edscholl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 11, 7:02 pm   #8
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ka ʻĀpala Nui
Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Posts: 13,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home)
Emphatic +1
__________________
Remembering 61 Years of Service - Mahalo Nui Loa, Aloha Airlines
FlyinHawaiian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 12:27 pm   #9
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 33,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Tastes differ - I personally felt Din Tai Fung here in LA was just OK and not worth the wait (but i never tried other locations).

While i can't say about "the best" in LA a great bet is a trio of places side by side in a plaza in San Gabriel next to Hilton. We usually go to MeiLong Village (as they pack some frozen stuff on ice for us to take home) but the other two are just as good.

1. J & J / Jin Jian Restaurant

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776

2. Mei Long Village

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-4769

3. Happy Kitchen

301 W Valley Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
(626) 284-2619
Thank you kindly, these are a little closer from where Im staying (Century City). Mapquest puts the drive to the places in San Gabriel at 23 miles from my hotel on West Olympic Blvd.... and the Din Tai Fung is 29 miles. Both destinations are on the same route, seems like the best way is to get on I10, and head East, or...?

So traffic is an issue in LAX, so Im guessing I may go direct to one of these places after I land in LAX as I guess its out of my way to go to the hotel in Century City and I cant be sure they will allow me to have an early check in.
__________________
Come to ARGENTINA & try the Wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!
www.argenology.com

Last edited by Gaucho100K; Jun 14, 11 at 12:43 pm.
Gaucho100K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 2:21 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
Thank you kindly, these are a little closer from where Im staying (Century City). Mapquest puts the drive to the places in San Gabriel at 23 miles from my hotel on West Olympic Blvd.... and the Din Tai Fung is 29 miles. Both destinations are on the same route, seems like the best way is to get on I10, and head East, or...?

So traffic is an issue in LAX, so Im guessing I may go direct to one of these places after I land in LAX as I guess its out of my way to go to the hotel in Century City and I cant be sure they will allow me to have an early check in.
These places are at least 50 minutes from LAX.
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 3:26 pm   #11
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 33,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin View Post
These places are at least 50 minutes from LAX.
OK... so if I budget 1 hour from LAX on a Thursday morning... I will be good, or...? Also, the San Gabriel locations are 7 or so miles closer... unless Im not reading mapquest properly.
__________________
Come to ARGENTINA & try the Wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!
www.argenology.com
Gaucho100K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 4:01 pm   #12
Moderator: Hawaii-Based Airlines & United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ka ʻĀpala Nui
Programs: Global Entry, United, Delta, Hyatt, Kimpton, Marriott, mLife, Best Western, and Hertz
Posts: 13,517
San Gabriel locations would be I-10 West, exit Del Mar Avenue and then head north about .5 miles to Valley and make a left (the large Hawaii Supermarket will be on your right). Head west on Valley, past the Hilton (which you cannot miss) and then look for the strip mall on your right.

If you look at a freeway map of Downtown LA, you'll note that the 10 goes through the East LA interchange which can get a little tricky; pay attention to the highway signs carefully.
__________________
Remembering 61 Years of Service - Mahalo Nui Loa, Aloha Airlines
FlyinHawaiian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 4:03 pm   #13
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 6,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
OK... so if I budget 1 hour from LAX on a Thursday morning... I will be good, or...? Also, the San Gabriel locations are 7 or so miles closer... unless Im not reading mapquest properly.
Yeah. That could work, but just be flexible with your schedule. As long as there's no rush to be anywhere, I say go with the flow (pun intended).
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 8:47 pm   #14
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 33,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
San Gabriel locations would be I-10 West, exit Del Mar Avenue and then head north about .5 miles to Valley and make a left (the large Hawaii Supermarket will be on your right). Head west on Valley, past the Hilton (which you cannot miss) and then look for the strip mall on your right.

If you look at a freeway map of Downtown LA, you'll note that the 10 goes through the East LA interchange which can get a little tricky; pay attention to the highway signs carefully.
Thanks... I will have Never Lost in my rental car so I hope Im not dumb enough to get lost...
__________________
Come to ARGENTINA & try the Wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!
www.argenology.com
Gaucho100K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 11, 10:34 pm   #15
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 441
We were turned on to Din Tai Fung by an expat friend who was living in Shanghai. Since then, we have been to other DTF's : consistent quality product! Last place we visited was in Sydney, Australia, ... correction, it was Beijing, October 2010. --I look forward to visiting Arcadia.
8dimsum is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:41 pm.