Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > California > Los Angeles
Sign in using an external account

Old May 18, 11, 7:37 am   #46

Programs: AA ExPlat
More on the new LAX food offerings from the Los Angeles Times:

...Eateries poised to land at LAX
The idea behind the new offerings is to reflect more California cuisine and give the food outlets a "sense of place, officials said.

"We have a cast of new, talented and proven restaurants that will put 'L.A.' back into LAX," Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, said in a statement.
I believe that the roll of the dice of trying something new is worthwhile when visiting a new city, even if for a brief hour or two. Travel is life -- seize that moment!
JohnDHackensacker3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 12:16 am   #47

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Here's some concept art:

The food truck will be permanently located there, but what it sells won't be. A pre-selected roster of local LA food trucks will share the space and rotate their menus using the truck.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:42 am   #48

Programs: AA EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Here's some concept art:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...f520441970b-pi

The food truck will be permanently located there, but what it sells won't be. A pre-selected roster of local LA food trucks will share the space and rotate their menus using the truck.
Hahaha... good one. That's so typical LA at the moment.

Food trucks are all over Santa Monica on Tuesdays.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 16, 11 at 6:55 pm. Reason: removed [img] tags from quote post
FlyMeToTheLooneyBin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 2:18 am   #49

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Am I the only that's going to miss the brioche doree? I'll admit, I haven't tried homegirl cafe...
mga911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 2:34 am   #50

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
Thumbs down

Quote:
Here's some concept art:

That's god aweful!! I hate sitting out in the open with people walking by my food, and having to hear the conversations of the tables next to you. That truck is tacky. Is this what they're going to replace Chilis Too with?
Old Jul 16, 11, 2:43 am   #51

Programs: AA-EXP (1.6MM), HP-Gold, UA-2P, AS-MVP, BA-Slvr, VS-Slvr, HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold, IC-Plat, BW-Platinum
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Chicane View Post
I don't like what we currently have, but I don't like what is planned either.

After the mayhem that will ensue during the construction and swap-over's, we'll be without any place to really sit down for an extended period of time (i.e., no more Chili's) outside the AC and FL.
I agree completely. At Chilis you could at least sit down and eat in a civilised manner while being isolated from the rest of the terminal mayhem. I hate "feeding at the trough" type restaurants. Why don't airports realize that not everyone is looking for a low class burger and fries experience.
Old Jul 16, 11, 10:51 am   #52
IJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO View Post
At Chilis you could at least sit down and eat in a civilised manner while being isolated from the rest of the terminal mayhem. I hate "feeding at the trough" type restaurants.
Yes, if you were lucky enough to be given a seat in the dining area. Seems to be full to capacity most of the time.

So given the limited space at T4, the only options are the 'trough' places. But these can be better than the sit-down chains. Notice I said "can" be. It would take a good local outfit to rise above the usual level of mediocrity.

Quote:
Why don't airports realize that not everyone is looking for a low class burger and fries experience.
BK will be gone, correct? No more "low class burger and fries".

Seems like the alternatives will include deli sandwiches and high-class burgers.

LAX has its hands tied at T4. Not very much space for nice sit-down places. The barely-serviceable Chili's is usually full.

Not all airports have the space problem, or think 'burgers and fries'. SEATAC hit a home run with 'Anthony's'.
IJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 10:59 am   #53

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Quote:
That's god aweful!! I hate sitting out in the open with people walking by my food, and having to hear the conversations of the tables next to you. That truck is tacky. Is this what they're going to replace Chilis Too with?
It's replacing Burger King.
MAH4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 11:01 am   #54

Quote:
Here's some concept art:
According to the accompanying article, Host International remains the food service provider in T4.
L. A. Times -City Council approves restaurants for LAX (Cole's in Terminal 4, ˇLoteria! Grill in Terminal 5, and more...)
Quote:
Meanwhile, in Terminal 4, Host International will operate Cole's French Dip, Campanile, 8 Oz. Burger Bar, La Provence Patisserie & Café and L.A. Gourmet Street Truck -- a venue for a rotating roster of food trucks such as Buttermilk, Ahn Joo and Nom Nom. There will be Starbucks locations too.
And from L. A. Weekly:
Quote:
Yes, the same HMS Host that has been serving crappy food at the airport for 40 years. The same HMS Host that finished last in the contract bidding last year, but managed to restart the process through a Herculean lobbying effort. The HMS Host that should have been booted out of LAX entirely a year ago but has managed to cling to a decent chunk of the business through the sheer power of incumbency.

<snip>

This is the same company, by the way, that loudly proclaimed last year that its that its rival's plans were too fancy and expensive for working-class travelers, and printed up a bunch of T-shirts with the slogan "Real L.A. Food for Real L.A. People."
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 11:36 am   #55

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA Silver, Marriott PLT LT, SPG, HH Silver, Harrahs PLT, Starbucks Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga911 View Post
Am I the only that's going to miss the brioche doree?
Yes. Everything I've had from there has been disgusting.
aamilesslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 11:43 am   #56

Cool Food trucks for OW pax?

Does AA have any say in what type of restaurants go into T4? I can't imagine that a large food truck reflects the type of image the AA wants to portray. If AA is going to make LAX their asian gateway and connecting point for OW partners, better food options should probably be placed in T4.

In regards to the space issue in T4, can anything be added as a second story, or would it interfere with the AC?

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Jul 16, 11 at 11:52 am.
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 12:51 pm   #57

Quote:
I can't imagine that a large food truck reflects the type of image the AA wants to portray.
Why?

Gourmet food trucks are the hottest trend on the Los Angeles dining scene. They serve everything from ice cream to sushi.
Los Angeles Times

GAYOT's Blog

Top 10 Food Trucks in Los Angeles

Gourmet Magazine
TWA884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 12:58 pm   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Why?

Gourmet food trucks are the hottest trend on the Los Angeles dining scene. They serve everything from ice cream to sushi.
Los Angeles Times

GAYOT's Blog

Top 10 Food Trucks in Los Angeles

Gourmet Magazine
So so true- NYC too. maybe some people dont get out much. I think it looks like a very nice change
EaglesOhThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:09 pm   #59

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Why?

Trends come and go. What may be "trendy" today will be passé tomorrow, especially in superficial L.A. Will that truck be "trendy" five years from now? AA should focus on bringing quality dining that will appeal to a more international mix of pax.

Obvisously, if the space issue can be resolved, there would be more room for junk food establishments.
Old Jul 16, 11, 1:21 pm   #60
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Quote:
Trends come and go. What may be "trendy" today will be passé tomorrow, especially in superficial L.A. Will that truck be "trendy" five years from now?

Then again, with the current crud that's there, it can hardly be worse. If the truck starts to feel dated, it can't be that hard to replace it with a fast-food counter.