Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

Effective 6/30/2005 - NO MORE GlobalPass Awards [miles for money]

Effective 6/30/2005 - NO MORE GlobalPass Awards [miles for money]

Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Effective 6/30/2005 - NO MORE GlobalPass Awards [miles for money]

Interesting posting on the GlobalPass site. Note the last paragraph in particular. Any idea if the "million mile" bonus miles are available in the MFM scheme?

"A New Era Begins at GlobalPass

Effective July 1st, 2005, GlobalPass will launch a new Web Airlines booking engine making GlobalPass truly global.

Most travel websites offer the ability to purchase airline tickets by credit card and then allow customers to earn flown miles with the corresponding airline program when they are the flying passenger.

GlobalPass allows customers to purchase airline tickets for passengers on over 500 airlines worldwide with the distinct advantage of being able to pay using Miles as Money; or, earn 4 GlobalMiles per dollar when payment is made by credit card; or, pay with a combination of miles and money. Customers can continue to earn flown miles in the airline program when they are the flying passenger.

If customers dont have enough miles accumulated in GlobalPass, they can transfer miles or points from participating Transfer Programs. Please review www.globalpass.com for additional information on Transfer Programs.

No other mileage program or travel website offers more ways to earn miles and the flexibility in forms of payment as GlobalPass!!

Effective June 30th, 2005, GlobalPass will no longer offer award seats in the traditional airline manner. GlobalPass Affiliate Airlines (Aeropostal, KLM, Southern Winds and TACA Airlines) will no longer participate in GlobalPass and customers will no longer be able to earn flown miles as of June 30th, 2005. GlobalPass customers must have confirmed award reservations by June 30th, 2005 and award travel must be completed by June 29th, 2006."
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:42 pm

A New Era Begins for GlobalPass, Million Milers Shut down?

If we can't get traditional awards, and can't use "Bonus" miles as "Miles as Money" due to the 50% limit, it seems like any remaining balances from the LatinPass Run would be of limited value. Or am I missing something?

Though it probably won't matter, does anyone know how the "Miles as Money" deal works anyway? I couldn't find any conversion charts. An old press release says it's 40,000 miles for a ticket up to $299, but that's the only data point I've seen.
Old Jun 8, 2005, 11:09 pm

Ah, the effective end of the frequent flyer program at Latinpass. Cannot even get Taca/Lacsa awards anymore. At least they gave us a little advance notice this time. I imagine the ladies will be very busy the next couple of weeks making reservations.

I beleive we've talked about this before, but as the website says; on ly 50% of "bonus" miles can be used as 'miles for money'. My big question is what exactly is the miles to money conversion rate?

I mean, what are they valuing any miles at? 1 cent per mile. 2 cents per mile? 5 cents per mile? 10 cents per mile? Can anyone decipher that yet?
Old Jun 9, 2005, 11:05 am

I just edited the title of this thread to reflect the major change in terms.

IMHO, a bare minimum of six months notice should have been given for such a drastic change.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:48 pm
Original Member

Can you say Class Action? Let's remember that the LatinPass Million Mile bonus miles were earned under a system where LatinPass was the agent of the airlines. Here from the terms and conditions of the program at the time:

"LatinPass acts as an agent of the frequent traveler programs of the Latin American airlines stated in this document. LatinPass is not responsible for the failure of LatinPass airlines or partners to provide travel or services as indicated, or deficiencies in travel and services provided. Travel on any LatinPass airline will be subject to the appropriate airline's filed tariffs and standard contract of carriage. LatinPass airlines reserve the right to change award level mileage and conditions required without previous notice, and may cancel the program with six months notice. Participating airlines within the LatinPass frequent traveler program are subject to change at any time without notice. All travel award conditions may be subject to government regulations. "

So, if LatinPass (now GlobalPass) is not responsible for their failure to provide services, the airlines must be. They reserved the right to cancel (and this amounts to a de facto cancellation) with six month's notice, but have given three weeks notice.

Since participating airlines were subject to change, I doubt any action could be commenced against those which have departed, such as COPA, US Airways (bankruptcy wipes it out anyway), or various others.

But I think there is probably a good argument that TACA and KLM are responsible for recognizing the miles, at least until they give six months notice. Given LP/GP's history, I would be surprised if all those who want to ticket within next three weeks are able to.

This is major news. Make sure everyone is aware of it.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: United 1K
What would I do without FlyerTalk.

Thanks for posting this info, I would have missed it for sure.

I still have 65K left and my friend has 270K which we will have to burn.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 8:58 am

I just called Global Pass and was told the following:

KLM no longer available

TACA available until 6/30/2005, call Taca for reservations, GP to ticket

Miles for Money- you can use BONUS miles to pay fo 50% of a ticket on any airline booked thru Glabal Pass. You can use flight earned miles for 100%. Click on Miles as Money on the tree on the left of the GP screen to claculate value of miles. For example, $1,000 equals 153,000 miles

I'm not happy, but is seems the bonus miles from my million mile run still have some value.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:08 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I just called Global Pass and was told the following:

KLM no longer available

TACA available until 6/30/2005, call Taca for reservations, GP to ticket

Miles for Money- you can use BONUS miles to pay fo 50% of a ticket on any airline booked thru Glabal Pass. You can use flight earned miles for 100%. Click on Miles as Money on the tree on the left of the GP screen to claculate value of miles. For example, $1,000 equals 153,000 miles

I'm not happy, but is seems the bonus miles from my million mile run still have some value.

Only if you earn enough non-bonus GlobalPass miles to equal the other 50% you need for a Miles for Money award. I am assuming that the new miles you earn from GlobalPass Mall and purchasing any airline tickets through the Globalpass site will qualify as your matching miles to go with the bonus miles, but it is not clear from the web site at the moment.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 9:35 am

No, I was told I can use 50% miles and 50% cash.

In any case, based on GPs record of trying to screw us, I have decided to donate tickets to Students for 60,000, a local youth organization, for trips to Managua. see http://educationworld.com/a_issues/chat/chat145.shtml
Old Jun 10, 2005, 11:06 am

So if planning on using TACA do I have till June 30 to book and June 30th of next year to use?

I just talked to Daniellia and she said tickets can be changed etc the dates. You must book by June 30 as all accounts will be closed on that date. So book tickets and you have one year to change dates for a fee or destination. If need be burn them going first.

Last edited by milesrus; Jun 10, 2005 at 11:57 am
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:35 pm

I knew this day was going to come, and am not surprised by the short notice given to us by Globalpass, either. I have 270k of 500k left, and after calling Taca yesterday and today was able to book for my family 4 business class tickets to Costa Rica and 2 economy to Panama. Date changes are a reasonable $35 per ticket. I hope to finalize plans and ticket these reservations with Globalpass next week. After my second call to Taca today, it seems that available dates and reward seats are going fast. Oh well, it was still a good ride while it lasted.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler
Still great customer service

I sent an email message to GP early this morning regarding viable routings to Managua. Amelia, from GP, gave me a call this afternoon to answer my question. She also asked me if I was ready to book any tickets as she was ready to help me. They continue to amaze me with their great customer service!

I know that there are some "million milers" who disparage GP constantly. However, I really feel like many of us, myself included, took advantage of a promotion that was not intended for us, and may have caused some hardship for GP. I feel fortunate to have been able to use most of my miles and see a great deal of Central and South America. Currently, I have tickets to BA reserved, and tickets to Manuagua and Lima on hold. I hope I can use most of my miles, but I agree with the previous poster that it's been fun while it lasted.

p.s. If you don't know how to burn the last of your miles, consider starying at Morgan's Rock in Nicaragua. It's a new eco-lodge (resort) that's getting great reviews.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:18 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
GP has pulled the "Miles Needed" link ffrom their website. Can someone remind me how many miles are needed for the following?

North America to Central America C/Y
Central America to Central America C/Y
Central America to South America C/Y
South America to South America C/Y

I have 400,000 miles to burn and am planning another LatinPass run revisited (This time on miles) for next May and June.

Plus, can some one tell me how many days out one can book Taca? Is it 330 or 365 days?

Finally - can one book open Jaws within the same region?
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:43 am

davistev
I can help with a few of your questions as I received answers yesterday to similar inquires. Miles needed for Central America from the US: 35,000 in coach and 50,000 in business. Miles needed US to South America, 50,000 in coach and 65,000 in business. You are allowed open jaws in a region, I booked a ticket to Bolivia, and am returning from Santiago Chile and LP/GP has said this is acceptable. I do not know the other mileage requirements.

I tried booking next March and April and was told of no availability for the four different ittineraries I inquired about. I was told that allocation of seats for the time period beyond February 2006 may not be made until later in the year, so the 330 day or 365 day booking period is not a reality. I booked seats in Febuary knowing I would have to change them to later dates as I also want to travel in May or June of 2006. LP says the change fee is 35 dollars as long as tickets are issued before end of month.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 7:20 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by cygone

I tried booking next March and April and was told of no availability for the four different ittineraries I inquired about. I was told that allocation of seats for the time period beyond February 2006 may not be made until later in the year, so the 330 day or 365 day booking period is not a reality. I booked seats in Febuary knowing I would have to change them to later dates as I also want to travel in May or June of 2006. LP says the change fee is 35 dollars as long as tickets are issued before end of month.
I take it that we need to call LatinPass to make the date changes and not Taca. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help. I am in Miami for the next 10 days and I hope to complete all the bookings before I go back to Africa. The only time I have to do some leisure travel is next May so I will be very happy if it all falls in place.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.