Wiki Posts
Search

Airport hotel in San Jose, CR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Airport hotel in San Jose, CR?

I am taking a GP flight to Argentina in late Jan. Have a 6+ hr layover in San Jose. Is there a nearby hotel good for a few hrs. sleep. I have been to airport before and, last I was there, no clubs and poor waiting areas / restaurants.

The flight arrives at 8:30 and leaves at 3:10pm.

With a red eye from LAX and then another from Lima after the San Jose stop - thought 4 hr. of sleep would be worthwhile while in San Jose.
Old Jan 13, 2005, 11:19 am
Suspended

From what I remember NOT in the airport itself, but The Hampton Inn & The Hampton Inn & Suites (thats correct there are 2 Hotels next to each other same owner, guess its like having 2 wings) is very close, its next to Alamo and a couple of other car rentals. They have a shuttle to boot. There may be others but thats the Only name brand if Im correct. Its maybe a 5 min or so shuttle ride.
then theres stay credit and points if you're a HH member to boot.

Last edited by craz; Jan 13, 2005 at 11:21 am
Old Jan 14, 2005, 7:09 am

Programs: United 1K
Thanks for the info. I've had long layovers at the airport in San Jose and there is nothing to do.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. My brother mentioned that and was just curious if that was the only hotel. If we arrive on time, I will likely grab a room for a few hours of sleep before flying on to B.A. With only carry-on and a boarding pass, I hope security is not too long when I need to get back to gates. (I went out last time and it was not too bad - but I know it varies depending on flights.) Also I think I had to pay a small transit exit fee -- but maybe that was free also if under 6 hours or so?

Anyways, thanks for info -- as always.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Hotel close to SJO AIrport

I have stayed at the Marriott close to the Airport. It has a nice lounge and you would enojy yourself.

You can always take a taxi and go into town and visit Hotel Del Ray... for gambling and other stuff.
Old Jan 29, 2005, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Be wary of the departure tax...I cant remember what it is, but i think you may have to pay it if you leave the transit area. I know we ran into this issue about 3 years ago, but things may have changed.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
We had a 6 hour layover in San Jose a little over a year ago on our way to Santiago, and we left the airport for a few hours. We had a reservation at the Hampton, but decided that we didn't need it so chose to get some fresh air and walked over to the hotel to cancel the room. We got some sort of paper, I think we went to the lower level of the airport to get it, and gave it back when we returned. No cost and no hassle. It was a bit of an adventure making the treck to the Hampton (traversing the multi-lane highway) but we did enjoy walking through a pretty neglected city park and watching some young children having a great time. Memories.....
Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:23 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Be wary of the departure tax...I cant remember what it is, but i think you may have to pay it if you leave the transit area. I know we ran into this issue about 3 years ago, but things may have changed.
I just had a 12 hr transit stay at the Hampton Inn+Suites, and I got a room that Mel Gibson supposedly stayed in . Walk up rates were pretty high ($130), but I didn't have to pay the departure tax when going back to the airport, otherwise it would have been $26.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Transit in San Jose

I had 7 hour layover in San Jose 3 weeks ago. Left airport and was told no tax for transit (not sure how long transit is, maybe 8 hours?). Got a B&B about 5 miles away that picked me up. Cant remember rate for sure, but about $40. Had decent room and shower. Not too noisy, but not super quiet. Slept and had b&B take me back to airport.

On return, had to go to Immigation office at far left of ticketing area. Filled out a transit form and have it stamped. Then to TACA ticket counter where they apparently put I had Transit and paid no tax in their computer. Then thru security and to gate. Total of about 15 minutes. NO TAX.

The VIP lounge was to open in JAN, but we were there Jan 27th, and still not open. Believe it when it happens!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.