Opcion Upgrade

Old Aug 22, 2017, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold
Opcion Upgrade

Not sure how long this has been going on but it came as a surprise to me:

I just got an email offer to upgrade to biz on an upcoming LAX-LIM flight

The offer is auction style and the minimum I can offer is $350.
Will definitely make an offer as it is a rather long flight and it is on a 787.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:26 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
It's been going on since last year. I also received an offer to participate for LIM-LAX but didn't bid... A friend also just got a message for LIM-BCN (minimum was $369 + taxes).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam...t-upgrade.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam...e-bidding.html
Old Aug 26, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Recently I was quite surprised to see the order of priorities in upgrade list for "Opcion Upgrade" bidders .. Can anyone make sense of that ? Does this mean bidders have even lower priorities than GOLDs
Attached Images  
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:43 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by Carolinas
Recently I was quite surprised to see the order of priorities in upgrade list for "Opcion Upgrade" bidders .. Can anyone make sense of that ? Does this mean bidders have even lower priorities than GOLDs
Yes "Opcion Upgrade" is under all Latam FF with coupons.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: LANPASS
Opcion Upgrade has lower priority than every courtesy (coupon-based) upgrade, as doing it otherwise would devalue the frequent flyer program benefits. There's many reasons for that, one of the most important ones being that "opcion upgrade" is available to almost anyone -regardless of not being a latampass member or holding no elite status-
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:11 pm
HAF

What do you think are the chances for an upgrade on the LAX-LIM-LAX route? Anyone had success? And what is recommended for a bid?

Many thanks

--HAF
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
Opcion Upgrade has lower priority than every courtesy (coupon-based) upgrade, as doing it otherwise would devalue the frequent flyer program benefits. There's many reasons for that, one of the most important ones being that "opcion upgrade" is available to almost anyone -regardless of not being a latampass member or holding no elite status-
Another huge deal about opcion Upgrade is that is not a fare based system. So you can use it even if you are only flying with base fare.

Also with the new rules for Latam FF i think that a lot of elite status will be lossed after 2019
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by HAF
What do you think are the chances for an upgrade on the LAX-LIM-LAX route? Anyone had success? And what is recommended for a bid?

Many thanks

--HAF
Hard one.... i recomend to check your fly and date into Latam site about 1 week before. Check it this way, look for 7 tickets on business on the same date as you fly. See if your fly number has those 7 seats.... then compare to expertflyer. Do not only use EF since some seats are not confirmed until the end (ex. Award tickets from another airlines).

About the bid is all up to you. How much you are welling to pay for a business ticket. You can go for the min but someone can go for the max. If you ask me, i will go about %12 over the min (based on some bidding experience that i have in business in Chile). But again someone can just go for the max. RENEMBER THAT YOUR ARE BIDDING EACH WAY!!! dont go crazy an put 1200 usd, since with 2400 usd you can buy Business.

On you route i have flow about 16 times (or 8RT) before Opcion Upgrade. Of those flys i could say that only about 4 i have seen working seats that are empty (This is experience since 2013 to mid 2016) so if it were any way to bid for that upgrade, i think you will be flying Biz at that time. After mid 2016 when Opcion Upgrade was introduced, but also 12 hours upgrade confimation, so i dont look at the upgrade list at the end.. so i dont know who was upgraded besides me heheehhee. But i can tell you this, i have only fly 2RT on this route (since i am based on SCL now i can fly non stop to LAX). On those flys, 2 segments where only about 7 or 8 seats for upgrade, and a lot of Black FF, so i dont think the upgrade list when lower that the.first couple of Platinum. On other segmemt there was about 15 seats and the upgrade list about 14 hours before the fly show about 12 ff and the other all opcion upgrade. The last segment also about 15 seat free and the list was about 10 in total...i that fly i saw about 3 free seats onboard. So i just luck.... on some MAD SCL not even black signature are upgrade and in some i have seem over 12 seats empty on the fly
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by HAF
--HAF
This is the waiting list for upgrade from my recent flight to LAX. I would say it's quite typical (based on my experience) on that route. Weight your chances.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:50 pm

Programs: LATAM Black / IHG Platinum / Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Carolinas
This is the waiting list for upgrade from my recent flight to LAX. I would say it's quite typical (based on my experience) on that route. Weight your chances.
Very much so also in the JFK-GRU, and also within Black you get a priority... flying solo you are for sure #1 and if it is your commuter flight even better
Old Sep 12, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Gold
OP Here. Update.

I offered $385 pp for the redeye LAX-LIM (787) on a Friday night and got the upgrade for me and husband.

Offered $360 + taxes for LIM-LAX and we didn't get it. Not too disappointed as it was a day flight.
First time in economy on LATAM's 787. Not bad (I am 6 ft tall) but the seats are indeed very narrow. I would fly it again with no hesitation despite being bumped by FAs or pax walking by once in a while (aisle seat).

P.S. I have no status with LATAM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.