Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Prepare for a short (near-MCT) connection [with JJ in GRU]?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist

Hey all, I've searched but could not find a comprehensive thread on this topic, so I'd like to ask for some advice here.

I've booked a long itinerary (one PNR, one ticket) a few months out and one of the domestic-int'l transfers are pretty short, around 120 minutes in GRU (Sao Paulo, Brazil). MCT is 95 minutes for my scenario.

I'm not exactly familiar with what will usually happen when I miss a connection, so could anyone enlighten me on what usually happens in these scenarios?
(e.g. Will I get free rebooking / rerouting on the same carrier? Would I have to pay the no-show penalty? Will I be accommodated if overnight is required?)

1) First leg is not delayed but I miss the connection due to queues. (D-I requires passing through immigration)

2) First leg delayed, making transfer time still above MCT. I miss the connection due to queues.

3) First leg delayed, putting transfer time below MCT. I miss the connection.

If I think I am at risk of missing the connection, who would be able to help me the most? (do I talk to the first leg's cabin crew? or after landing go to the check-in agent, try to go airside and get help from GA, etc...)

Do I always make an effort, if my first leg lands before the second's departure time, to pass through security & immigration and arrive at the gate? Or if I land after a certain time (e.g. MCT, or boarding time, doors closing, etc.) I should just go to the check-in desk or ticketing desk for assistance and remain landside, where there are more resources to help me?

Specific routing is BSB-GRU-FRA-PEK on JJ-JJ-LH (JJ3991, JJ8070, LH720), with GRU-FRA being daily and at late night so if I miss it I probably have to stay overnight (unless they reroute me via MAD, which would involve IB, or just rebook me on QR via DOH -- but routing via other oneworld carriers is not what carriers really want to do, right?)

Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:49 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As you are flying LH, I am moving your thread to the Lufthansa Forum
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by obscure2k
As you are flying LH, I am moving your thread to the Lufthansa Forum
Please follow there.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
actually his questions are about JJ
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Indeed it's about JJ but I tried to make the questions generic for any other short connecting situation, so I posted it in TravelBuzz.

Nevertheless, any opinions and suggestions are welcome Thanks!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by jimmielin
Indeed it's about JJ but I tried to make the questions generic for any other short connecting situation, so I posted it in TravelBuzz.

Nevertheless, any opinions and suggestions are welcome Thanks!
since it's all on one ticket, you should be good. I always get airside unless it is guranteed that I don't catch a flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.