Wiki Posts
Search

Using Latam Travel Voucher

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Using Latam Travel Voucher

Hi-
Because of change in travel plans last summer, I have a Latam travel voucher worth about 800 bucks which I would hate to have it go to waste. However, because of Zika concerns and wanting to travel with my husband and toddler, much of South America is out. Has anyone had any luck booking a travel voucher with Latam? I would be flying out of JFK. The customer service is really confusing (always claiming they will call back). I would really like to just have cash back or go to another destination using a partner carrier or just have a reasonable direct flight internally in the United States.
Has anyone had any luck navigating Latam with a travel voucher? Would love to hear advice or experiences!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: LANPASS
I know this is not the answer you are after, but there a big chunk of south america where Zika is not an issue.
Within south america, the biggest concern of Zika is Brazil.

Anyway, you can redeem your Travel Voucher online. IIRC, on step 4 of the purchase process there will be an option that says "I have a travel voucher" or something like that. Travel vouchers are usually linked to the ID number of your travel document at the time of compensation.
If you can't get it to work online, you can use the Travel Voucher and make the purchase over the phone.

I don't remember if you could exchange your Travel Voucher for cash so many months after the fact (I think you can, although it depends on where you were awarded the voucher IIRC). Do keep in mind that travel vouchers are not exchanged for cash at face value. Tipically, if a travel voucher is worth USD 800, you'll only get half that amount if you opt for a cash compensation
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Zika is not a concern in Chile, and should not be of concern in most of Argentina, including Buenos Aires and points south, nor in Uruguay.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: LH FTL, LATAM Platinum, KL Silver, UA Premier Silver
I have recently used two Latam travel vouchers that I had received for different inconveniences experienced during the past year.

While I was technically unable to employ them online during the booking process (as described in one of the previous posts) - I had even tried different itineraries and fare classes - there was no problem in using them via phone with their Customer Service.
They had actually encouraged me to do so and call once I had my trip set up and flights selected, as the non-functionality on the website seems to be a known issue. Important to mention that because of that inconvenience, Latam honoured the same price as if I had reserved online and I was able to burn both vouchers (together worth around USD 420 or so) in one go, just indicating their respective numbers (which always start with LA's 045 code, at least if ex LAN stock).

So, basically your cheap trip to one of the many Zika-free places in the LATAM territory is just one phone call away. I would definitely recommend not to let this opportunity go, nor to cash in the voucher, as this would most probably not imply the same value as offered for a flight purchase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.