Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Interlining luggage on non-partner carriers?

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion

Baggage question: Does LATAM interline with Aeromexico for checked baggage?

I have an itinerary where the return leg is LBP-LIM-MEX-YUL. The first leg (LBP-LIM) is with LATAM, connecting to Aeromexico for the LIM-MEX-YUL legs. All on a single ticket.

I know I will need to claim and re-check my bag in Mexico City. But what about Lima? Would LATAM be able to check it through for me, even though they're not technically partners? Does transiting in Lima require claiming and re-checking luggage anyway?

Asking because my connection time in Lima is quite short (75 minutes). It's booked on a single ticket and the connection time is technically legal, but I'm concerned about it being quite short.

(Travelling economy, no status, for whatever that matters.)
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Partnerships have nothing to do with interline agreements. Most airlines have interline agreements with each other. Whether or not they choose to check your bag through is another story. LATAM should interline your bags if the are on the same PNR. They will no longer do so even within the alliance if they are not on the same PNR.

Transiting LIM w/o luggage just requires transit security, nothing more.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: LANPASS
Eastbay1K nailed it right in the head.

Just to add a small sidenote. Int-Int connections in LIM are very efficient a quick... if you have everything in the same ticket and your bags go through, you'll be back airside in less than 10 minutes
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
Eastbay1K nailed it right in the head.

Just to add a small sidenote. Int-Int connections in LIM are very efficient a quick... if you have everything in the same ticket and your bags go through, you'll be back airside in less than 10 minutes
Excuse me ... well, maybe so but no nails in my head thank you.

Re: LIM transit security, sometimes it is 5 to 10 minutes, but on occasion, I've had it go all the way to the very entrance to the hall, so it has taken me a lot longer.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Great, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Thanks all.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
On the separate ticket side, LATAM won't usually even check LATAM to LATAM connections! Had to get a supervisor to override the system heading to EZE through SCL when I had to wait to find out exactly when I could pop over the Andes (EZE on the outbound or the return leg). Only took the MIA gang about 45 minutes to figure things out. Bags ended up on the flight to EZE right before my booked one.

Of course with LAN YMMV
Old Feb 2, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

This is a single ticket all the way through, so I think it should be fine. But good to know!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.