Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Missing first flight in multi-destination itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I are slated to fly into SCL from ORD next Thursday via American Airlines.

American Airlines changed our schedule and now with the foretasted snow I'm worried that I might not make it to SCL before my LATAM multi-destination itinerary.

This itinerary looked like:
SCL->PUQ - Dec 31st 9AM (no changes permitted)
PUQ -> PMC - Jan 7th (changes permitted with fee)
PMC -> SCL - Jan 10th (changes permitted)

Now if I miss my connecting flight into SCL, I will not be able to arrive on Dec 30th as I have planned but will have to take the flight the next day which will take me in at Dec 31st 8AM. Leaving 1 hour to make it through customs, claim our luggage, recheck it, and get back through security and to our gate. I don't think this would be possible in an hour.

My question is: If I can't make my 9AM LATAM flight to PUQ will they let me get on the 10AM flight or will I be out of luck? What would happen to the rest of our planned flights?

Any suggestions on how to best handle this would be appreciated. I know some airlines in the US have an unofficial "flat tire" policy that will allow you to take the next flight at no cost if you just barely miss you outgoing flight. Does LATAM have anything like this?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Snigle
American Airlines changed our schedule
In the interest of redundancy, let's start by commencing at the beginning, as LAN may ultimately have nothing to do with this situation. Exactly what did AA change? You do realize that because of the sked change it will be quite facile to get into SCL a day earlier, especially if there is a weather situation in the forecast. In this instance, you many not even need to wait for a system-wide weather waiver, and you can call them now to get in earlier so that you ensure you make your PUQ flight.

BTW, I'm not sure if AA'll put you on LAN (LATAM) overwater, but LAN does have frequencies from MIA if that is something they are willing to offer (and obviously you would want to avoid JFK where LA also flies from).

I'm also not sure if you're embarking on an Australis cruise or something like that (PUQ's not somewhere one would randomly venture south to without good reason), but if you are, that's all the more reason to be proactive and call AA to get moved to an earlier schedule.

Frankly, I think you need to be asking a different question than the LATAM one.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 9:04 am
Original Poster

I called AA, and my ticket was booked using AA reward miles and my wife's using our credit card reward points.

They said there is nothing they can do unless there is a weather waiver since I have a valid connection in DFW. This is because when they changed the schedule on us our credit card rewards provider automatically accepted the re-accommodation on my wife's behalf.. When I had originally booked my flight I gave us a 12 hour layover in DFW so that we would have plenty of time to get re-routed if needed. Now with the change we have a 2 hour layover in DFW.

If all goes well we will have 25 hours in Santiago. If we miss our flight from DFW to SCL we will just barely miss our LATAM flight.

So back to my question I posted here-- what options will we have if we miss the first leg of our multi-leg itinerary? This is a separate itinerary than our AA flight.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
As you say so, they are separated booking so Latam will treat you as any person that get to the airport late on a no change booking.... so as far as they care you are missing your fly.

Now, if you have a excuse or you talk on the desk, explain the situation, show your AA tickets and you act nice a cool about it, they may put you into another fly.... dont get angry with the desk agent if they cant, as i toll, as far as they care you are just getting there late.

Some tips, DFW to SCL gets to the airport about 7.30 and you can be out of the plane by 7.45. If you are flying with some one, make it take care of all the bags customs. If you are not taking any bags with you (not even carry on) you can fly tru customs. Entering Chile must be done by each member (over 18) of your family, so you can pass by your self and then your companion do the same with your bags.......If you do that, i am sure that you will be able to get to the domestic terminal and explain the situation to the Latam agent before you fly is closed, they are not going to delay the fly for you, but they may look twice to your request of putting you into another fly
Old Dec 26, 2016, 5:36 pm

OK let me understand this again. You have a 25-hour connection in SCL and you are concerned that it will be reduced to 1 hour because you will lose 24 hours stuck in DFW because AA only has the one flight a day from DFW if your ORD-DFW gets in too late?

Why exactly would you be sitting in DFW for 24 hours even if ORD-DFW is late?

You do realize that if you miss DFW-SCL on the 29th, then you should be able to do DFW-MIA-SCL the next morning on the 30th if you request re-protection from AA once you get to DFW. There are at least 2 departures from MIA on the 30th which are AA metal or AA codeshare on LAN, and one from LAX which get you in on the 31st in time to make your SCL-PUQ flight.

Did you research these nonstops?

They are:
1) AA 7729 (LA operated) dep MIA 7:50 PM arr SLC 6:05 AM
2) AA 225 dep MIA 8:04 PM arr SCL 6:33 AM
Both the above give you more than 2 hours in SCL... and the last one LAX-SCL gives you 2 hours:
3) AA 7730 (LA operated) dep LAX 8:22 PM arr SCL 7:00 AM

There is also a UA connection through IAH and DL through ATL but last I checked AA did not re-route on at least one of those carriers.

So I would say once you get to DFW if you do miss your SCL connection on the 29th, just go to MIA on the 30th and pick up the nonstop from there. That should give you enough time.

I think your bigger issue would be getting out of ORD. If they shut down all departures on the 29th, I would drive to IND or some such apt south and get rerouted out of there. AA should be able to accommodate you on the day of.

Last edited by gq_dq; Dec 26, 2016 at 9:15 pm
Old Dec 26, 2016, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I are slated to fly into SCL from ORD next Thursday via American Airlines.
<snip>
This itinerary looked like:
SCL->PUQ - Dec 31st 9AM (no changes permitted)
PUQ -> PMC - Jan 7th (changes permitted with fee)
PMC -> SCL - Jan 10th (changes permitted)
.So back to my question I posted here-- what options will we have if we miss the first leg of our multi-leg itinerary? This is a separate itinerary than our AA flight.
Lets go back to the start
You have booked a flight from ORD to ??? via SCL on AA using a credit card reward? (Next Thursday is Jan 29). [This is like a cash booking to airline]
You also state "This is a separate itinerary than our AA flight"
Just what have you booked and how? (all flights numbers & times)
How many separate itineraries (PNR's) do you have?

If they are separate there is no protection. That is no obligation from the airline of the 2nd itinerary/PNR to accommodate you if you are late arriving on the first itinerary/PNR.
However AA has a policy to help if AA are involved.

On what logical basis are you assuming/determining your flight will be late?
Does your travel insurance cover missed flights, if you are not at fault.

If you no show for any flight all other flights on that itinerary will be auto cancelled. You are then at the whim & generosity of the airline

Also if they are separate itineraries baggage will not be checked through. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...d-threads.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 27, 2016 at 12:36 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:22 am

Also I just checked the forecast. ORD does not show any snow through the next week, so Thu 29-Dec-2016 should not see major delays due to weather.

On Thursday, if you start seeing flights get delayed then just try to get on an earlier ORD-DFW service. As you haven't specified which AA flights you're on, I assume you're currently confirmed on AA 2346 dep ORD 3 PM on Thu the 29th? That's the only one which gives you 2 hours to connect to AA 945 to SCL. Since it appears you've had a major (~10 hour) schedule change, AA should easily be able to accommodate you on an earlier schedule, especially if you call them on the day of.

There are around 7-8 departures ORD-DFW earlier than yours that day. I would try to get confirmed on either the 11:45 AM or 1:20 PM ones if possible, otherwise there's a 10:25 AM, 9:30 AM and so on. At this time it appears there are still seats available on them.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

@gq_dq: Thank you for listing out all of the USA -> SCL flights for this Friday. This is really helpful in the event I need to take a flight the next day and it puts me at some ease.

Originally Posted by gq_dq
Thu 29-Dec-2016 should not see major delays due to weather. Since it appears you've had a major (~10 hour) schedule change, AA should easily be able to accommodate you on an earlier schedule, especially if you call them on the day of.
I already tried calling AA twice and spoke to a supervisor. I explained my situation and was told the first time I called that they could not change my rescheduled flight to an earlier one since my ticket was purchased via AA miles and there were no other award flights I could be moved to. I posted on the AA forum and it was suggested I call again since AA should be able to open up an award seat for me on another flight. I called a second time and this time they gave me the same line about there not being any award seats. I asked for a supervisor who agreed to change my flight but said she could not change my wife's flight. I was told now her ticket was the problem since we booked her ticket with our credit card award points AA could not change it and that the credit card company would have to do it as they controlled her itinerary.

I can try to call them again Thursday morning to hopefully get out earlier.

29-Dec-2016 should not see major delays due to weather
There are supposed to be 20-30mph with guests possible over 40mph. This has some cause for concern, although I am grateful that it should be dry!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
First, please stop using terms such as "PNR" and "itinerary". They are irrelevant. All that matters is "ticket" A PNR or an itinerary may contain multiple tickets and by using those terms you confuse the situation here and in discussions with an air carrier. You have multiple tickets. Period.

Second, AA's policy is to protect you in the case of what it calls "disruption" across multiple tickets. This is not done in advance because a problem might possibly occur, although nothing prevents AA from doing so for you and your wife's travel agent (which is what her credit card issuer is) from doing so as well. At the moment nothing has happened and anything that might happen on your scheduled flights might happen on the rerouted flights you are contemplating.

Third, more for others who face these situations. Look at all of the alternatives before you start making calls. You will find much better results when you have done the research and can provide the agent with specific flight numbers. The easier you make it for the agent, the more likely it is that the agent simply does what you want.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:03 am

American Airlines changed our schedule and now with the foretasted snow I'm worried that I might not make it to SCL before my LATAM multi-destination itinerary.
Ok I thought you were worried about snow. Just checked and there is a weather alert for a NE winter storm but is no waiver for ORD, so schedules should be on time.

Yes, I am not surprised that the AA award booking would be changeable without too much trouble. The agents are pretty good about stuff like this especially when it's a major schedule change.

I generally avoid 3rd party bookings like credit card points for exactly this reason, because the operating carrier doesn't control the ticket and travel agencies can be very inflexible/ provide far less desirable customer service than the airline itself. It might be a tad late now but if you wake up early, you might want to call the credit card company and see if they can get your wife on an earlier ORD-DFW schedule, and then call AA to change your award ticket. Frankly, I would FIRST call AA and explain the situation and then see if they can do anything due to the 10+ hour schedule change on both tickets, and now it is the day of. If nothing else, I would get a waiver documented in YOUR rez so that if the Credit Card is able to change your wife's flight, you can call AA back and get the same flight on yours without having to go through the whole explanation again.

But remember, as another poster said, there is no guarantee that any other flight you choose won't get cancelled! But at least you will have more time. Ideally I would try for the 11:45 AM like I said before.

Let us know what ended up happening.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I called AA, and my ticket was booked using AA reward miles and my wife's using our credit card reward points.

They said there is nothing they can do unless there is a weather waiver since I have a valid connection in DFW.
What flight number they were on ORD-DFW is unknown.
For AA2346 (as in post above) https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL2346
The incoming aircraft for AA2346 looks to be 27 minutes late https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...640Z/KSLC/KORD
Edit 1 AA2346 landed 33 minutes late. If Mr & Mrs Snigle were on this they should make AA945

Looks like AA945 DFW-SCL departing 29 Dec 2016 is scheduled to be on time
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL945
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=945
edit 2 AA945 29 Dec 2016 left 7 minutes early

Would be good if Snigle posts about the trip

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 29, 2016 at 9:44 pm Reason: flight time
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
If Mr & Mrs Snigle were on this they should make AA945
Yes, I can't imagine a misconnect since MCT in DFW is about an hour or thereabouts I believe.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

We just got back and had an awesome trip!

We went to the airport early as suggested and asked AA to let us fly on an earlier flight. They said they would but all they had was standby seats.. so we were on the standby list for 3 previous flights with no luck as the standby list was massive. Then our actual flight time came and went. Our aircraft departed about an hour late and it made me really nervous. We made it to DFW and was able to connect to SCL!! We arrived at our gate with about a half hour before the DFW to SCL boarding began.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. I'm not a frequent flyer by any means and really appreciate the support and knowledge this community has.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:32 pm

Great. I'm actually in Chile now and the volcanoes are radiant under blue skies. I was interested in seeing what happened with you as I was doing almost exactly the same thing you were last week except I was not arriving into SCL on AA. But I was connecting to a LAN flight on separate tix so was slightly apprehensive myself. The only thing which was a bit pesky was that Immigration took Soooo long as a bunch of flights landed at around the same 9-11 AM timeframe. I guess that pretty much happens everyday. I had 3+ hours between my flights but got to the lounge only about 90 min before departure so I spent almost 2 hours in Immigration, using the ATM and then getting back upstairs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.