Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on routes to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Upgrades on routes to Europe

I am wondering on which route there would be higher probability of getting cabin upgrade to business (for Latampass Black members): SCL - FRA (with a stopover in MAD) or SCL-GRU-FRA ? What's your experience ?

Also, your any other suggestions are highly appreciated !

Thanks a lot in advance ^
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
I have fly in those 2 ways and always get upgraded. Now i am flying GRU LHR and also always upgraded. I will recomend GRU FRA since i have seem more open seats in a 787 you will get 2 or 3 free seats on the fly (i mean on the real fly, there is always like 5 to 7 seats open for upgrade) on the 777 you will get about 7 or 8 free seats....yes i know that the 777 has more seats so is about the same % but more free seats more chances for the upgrade

I have now on Feb a MAD to GRU on the A350, i hope to find some seat there
Old Nov 20, 2016, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PABLOCO
I have fly in those 2 ways and always get upgraded. Now i am flying GRU LHR and also always upgraded. I will recomend GRU FRA since i have seem more open seats in a 787 you will get 2 or 3 free seats on the fly (i mean on the real fly, there is always like 5 to 7 seats open for upgrade) on the 777 you will get about 7 or 8 free seats....yes i know that the 777 has more seats so is about the same % but more free seats more chances for the upgrade

I have now on Feb a MAD to GRU on the A350, i hope to find some seat there
Thank you so much, Pabloco This is very helpful !
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
As a longtime AA EXP (Oneworld Emerald), and semi-frequent pax on LATAM (mostly JJ domestic Brazil), I'm curious to know how these upgrades work on intercontinental flights, and in practice, if/how I might avail of one on my upcoming JNB-GRU sector early next month.

On AA, for each year we qualify for this status, we earn certificates for a single-class upgrade that can be applied to travel of any duration - up to 3 segments. Sometimes space is available at the time of request, other times, we must waitlist until day of travel. (Recently, upgrades have been clearing at the the gate rather than in advance).

On LATAM/JJ - for LanPass Black members (old Comordoro, right?), I can't figure out if certificates are needed, or if upgrades are offered on an unlimited, space-available basis.

Anyway for my particular case: if there's additional space available in the Business cabin after all the LanPass Black members have been accommodated - is there a mechanism for a for OneWorld Emerald member like myself to request/obtain an upgrade as well?

I know BA has an Airport Upgrade program, where sometimes, seats can be upgraded at check-in for Cash. Does JJ have such a thing?

Thanks in advance for any tips....
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by checkerboard
As a longtime AA EXP (Oneworld Emerald), and semi-frequent pax on LATAM (mostly JJ domestic Brazil), I'm curious to know how these upgrades work on intercontinental flights, and in practice, if/how I might avail of one on my upcoming JNB-GRU sector early next month.

On AA, for each year we qualify for this status, we earn certificates for a single-class upgrade that can be applied to travel of any duration - up to 3 segments. Sometimes space is available at the time of request, other times, we must waitlist until day of travel. (Recently, upgrades have been clearing at the the gate rather than in advance).

On LATAM/JJ - for LanPass Black members (old Comordoro, right?), I can't figure out if certificates are needed, or if upgrades are offered on an unlimited, space-available basis.

Anyway for my particular case: if there's additional space available in the Business cabin after all the LanPass Black members have been accommodated - is there a mechanism for a for OneWorld Emerald member like myself to request/obtain an upgrade as well?

I know BA has an Airport Upgrade program, where sometimes, seats can be upgraded at check-in for Cash. Does JJ have such a thing?

Thanks in advance for any tips....

Latam system is simple. You will need some coupons to get upgraded in a fly. From SCL to Europe (example) you will need 4 each way..... a gold member will get 2 each year so no way to get upgraded in that route, a Platinum will get 6 so can ask for an upgrade one way..... If you are black or black signature you get unlimited coupons so unlimited upgrades.

If you are not a Latam FF you wont get upgraded unless the fly is full.... and still i think if you are a AA EXP you will be behind a Lan Gold that has 2 coupons (and need 4 to upgrade).

So if you are not a Latam elite.... sorry to say but.... enjoy economy
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
side question, I was premium but lost it after I changed ff programme (gold with AA now). however i do get some upgrade coupons each year with my US bank lan credit card, any knowledge on how to apply them and if they are usefull at all?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by checkerboard
I have been offered an upgrade at check-in for cash at GRU once. At GIG I was told it can't be offered at that airport. So I don't know if at JNB check-in agents can offer cash upgrades.

For LA flights there is 'Plusgrade'. However, I don't know if it works for JJ flights.
https://www.latam.com/en_us/plan-boo...et-an-upgrade/
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL
side question, I was premium but lost it after I changed ff programme (gold with AA now). however i do get some upgrade coupons each year with my US bank lan credit card, any knowledge on how to apply them and if they are usefull at all?
They work like any coupons. The should be able for you in your acount.

When you have a fly go and make you check in. Then click on the top right at latam sites (where is you KM balance) hit it and will say MY UPGRADES. Click there and you will be able to request them. You will need to check in first and you wont be able to upgrade on BASE Fare
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by embit
I have been offered an upgrade at check-in for cash at GRU once. At GIG I was told it can't be offered at that airport. So I don't know if at JNB check-in agents can offer cash upgrades.

For LA flights there is 'Plusgrade'. However, I don't know if it works for JJ flights.
https://www.latam.com/en_us/plan-boo...et-an-upgrade/
I dont know about the check in upgrades for money. I have just check the cash upgrade that you can get online.

Downside is that for what i have been reading (never used since i have Black status) is that they ask for something like 1300 Usd as a base for any fly, no diference on short or long ones.... You can get a business ticket from SCL to BOG for about 1000usd so paying you economy ticket (say 400) plus 1300 will be almost twice.... and you only get KMs as your economy ticket

A USA fly is around 800 Usd plus the 1300 you are at 2100 with low chances pf getting upgraded (you are behind all elite pasagers) or for 2500 you can buy business.... just crazy.

Now i dont know if the 1300 is roundtrip... if is one way.... you will neeed to be insane to ask for it
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: Latam Black Signature
When flying SCL-LON, I have always been upgraded thru GRU, not that much thru MAD.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
I was lucky then... A few months ago i needed to make SCL-FRA, but checked first the availability, LA704 (ending in FRA) had only 10 J seats available, meanwhile LA708 (ending in MAD) had 15 J seats, so i booked LA708 and then continue in LA704 to FRA. Got upgrade on both being just a LATAM Gold. Not so lucky on the return leg, both flights were almost full! a lot of people rebooked from missing flights/connection.

Best way definitely is having an upgrade on GRU, a lot of empty J seats when i've flown that route.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gio Salinas
Got upgrade on both being just a LATAM Gold.
I am wondering how you got upgraded being Gold Especially on both legs. Gold doesn't get upgrades even on a single leg to Europe (it requires 4 coupons per leg, which Gold never gets).
Old Nov 24, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: LATAM Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador
Originally Posted by Carolinas
I am wondering how you got upgraded being Gold Especially on both legs. Gold doesn't get upgrades even on a single leg to Europe (it requires 4 coupons per leg, which Gold never gets).
I got my LATAM Gold status through the Worldmember credit card from Banco Santander, which grand me 6 upgrade coupons per year, plus access to LATAM Lounge in SCL and more kg per baggage, also got a few extra coupons as a compensation for some issues on a LATAM flight.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:17 am

Using Upgrade Certs on Paid Ticket from Amex

I am looking for some help from you experienced LATAM people...

I got a status match last year to Platinum with LATAM but I have hardly used it. I have these 6 coupons sitting in my account. I had thought I would use them going back and forth to the US but the fair class you need to buy is always so much more than the cheap tickets on AA that I have never bought and credited to LATAM over AA.

Anyways...I am looking to use these certs before they expire. I was looking to buy a LAN flight on my Amex and pay for it using Amex points...my question is what fare class do I need to buy in order to use these certs? It says on their site that it needs to be the flex fare, etc. but it doesnt clarify what class that is...

Is this even possible or do I have to buy direct from LATAM to use the certs?

Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
As long as you buy flights marketed and operated by LATAM, you can buy it anywhere.

You can upgrade with Access, Control and Flex fares. It doesn't necessarily depends on the class, but in most cases as long as you don't buy in S, N, Q, O, G, A buckets you should be fine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.