Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on routes to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Originally Posted by Gio Salinas
sorry, wrong thread :P... BUT, didn't know that EF won't show seats bought with awards from other airlines, it is the same for awards from latam?? any other seats that will not show up?

According to the upg list, there was just 3 people, me and my girlfriend and another person (all Latam Gold)
Awards with Latam will show up, since the latam site of awards works just like if you have pay for the tickets... you can select seats at any minute.

If you are Gold, check always on EF the emergecy exits and first row. If you are flying a 787-9 also check rows 13, 14, 15 and 16.... Those seats are only open to Black and Black Signature for free on international fly, they will also be open to a Platinum on domestic (Easten). So if you see those seats taken, you can have an a idea of who is fly (is not a perfect system, also regular people may pay for the seats, but it does also helps)

If you have Gold status and want to really use the upgrades for sure, use a short international route on a large plane. Like a SCL - GRU or SCL - RIO on the 777 or 787. I always find empty seats on those Routes
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:15 am

When I was Gold I had a good success with SCL-MEX.

Last night on MEX-SCL I saw 10 people upgraded, many of them Golds.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by dbasulto
When I was Gold I had a good success with SCL-MEX.

Last night on MEX-SCL I saw 10 people upgraded, many of them Golds.
When i was Gold i also got a MIA - SCL, but is not a sure think, better to play safe.

There is also flys like the MCO - GRU, it has so many open seats that you wont belive. On my last fly they where just 3 people seating on the back side of the Business (3 seats taken of 28)
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: LATAM
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
NOOOOO!!!!!!!!

This info is so wrong that i dont know where to start.

Black and Black Signature passengers may apply for upgrades on Latam Brasil in any fare class. But it does not matter if you buy on the Latam Brasil website, what you need is that the fly is operated by Latam Brasil or Tam or JJ

-If you buy on Latam Brasil a LA fly on Base and you are Black Status....no upgrade

-Platinum on base fare on a JJ fly.... no upgrade
Sorry Pabloco, not my experience. I've just taken 4 flights belonging to one ticket. I'm a black tier ff. 2 flights on JJ and 2 flights on LA. Bought the cheapest fare on the Brazilian website. Got upgraded on all flights (From and to Europe).
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by jafetzjaim
Sorry Pabloco, not my experience. I've just taken 4 flights belonging to one ticket. I'm a black tier ff. 2 flights on JJ and 2 flights on LA. Bought the cheapest fare on the Brazilian website. Got upgraded on all flights (From and to Europe).
https://www.latam.com/en_ue/latam-pass/cabin-upgrade/courtesy-cabin-upgrade/
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:48 am

https://www.latam.com/en_ue/latam-pass/cabin-upgrade/courtesy-cabin-upgrade/
tks. looks like I stand corrected... but my experience was different...
rgds.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 7:22 am

Question on the certificates: I have 6 ready to use on my upcoming flight AEP-SCL-LAX. It says that you need 3 coupons for "EACH LEG" of your international trip from Southern South America to USA to get upgraded. Do I have to be worried that they will take my coupons and upgrade my short leg AEP-SCL and then not upgrade me on the SCL-LAX leg?

Also, I bought the better class, flex or control or something like that...so I should be fine on the coupon eligibility. Is there ever a chance of getting upgraded as a Latam elite without the coupons? I have platinum with Latam and I am wondering if I should switch to flying Latam flights from EZE to MIA more than AA where I have platinum (which gets you nothing in terms of upgrades on international flights).

THanks!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by domthegreat
Question on the certificates: I have 6 ready to use on my upcoming flight AEP-SCL-LAX. It says that you need 3 coupons for "EACH LEG" of your international trip from Southern South America to USA to get upgraded. Do I have to be worried that they will take my coupons and upgrade my short leg AEP-SCL and then not upgrade me on the SCL-LAX leg?

Also, I bought the better class, flex or control or something like that...so I should be fine on the coupon eligibility. Is there ever a chance of getting upgraded as a Latam elite without the coupons? I have platinum with Latam and I am wondering if I should switch to flying Latam flights from EZE to MIA more than AA where I have platinum (which gets you nothing in terms of upgrades on international flights).

THanks!
AEP - SCL is only 1 leg but there's normally no Business Class. They do have Premium ECONOMY though but I'd not waste a coupon on Premium Economy, besides, they flight is under 2 hours.
If you are a LATAM BLACK or BLACK SIGNATURE ff then you'll get UNLIMITED upgrades for the duration of your ff status PLUS 6 coupons for your travel companions.
I'd definitely opt for LATAMPASS instead of AAdvantage any day of the week, even though LATAM is also toughening up its criteria.
Try to see if you can request you upgrade online so that you can try and tick the SCL-LAX "leg" without wasting a coupon on the AEP-SCL "leg".
Also, pay attention to the fact that your place on the upgrade list is defined by the time you check in on line (and not when you actually request your UPG) PLUS your status. Platinum will be bumped over by Black and Black Signature.
Hope this helps.
Safe Travels.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by jafetzjaim
AEP - SCL is only 1 leg but there's normally no Business Class. They do have Premium ECONOMY though but I'd not waste a coupon on Premium Economy, besides, they flight is under 2 hours.
If you are a LATAM BLACK or BLACK SIGNATURE ff then you'll get UNLIMITED upgrades for the duration of your ff status PLUS 6 coupons for your travel companions.
I'd definitely opt for LATAMPASS instead of AAdvantage any day of the week, even though LATAM is also toughening up its criteria.
Try to see if you can request you upgrade online so that you can try and tick the SCL-LAX "leg" without wasting a coupon on the AEP-SCL "leg".
Also, pay attention to the fact that your place on the upgrade list is defined by the time you check in on line (and not when you actually request your UPG) PLUS your status. Platinum will be bumped over by Black and Black Signature.
Hope this helps.
Safe Travels.
Thanks for the advice. I definitely do not plan on wasting the coupon on the AEP-SCL leg. So you are saying I can just tick the SCL-LAW leg then when I request it online? I for sure will check in as early as possible to get in line.

Going forward I think I will start pushing my flying to Latam if possible.

Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by domthegreat
Thanks for the advice. I definitely do not plan on wasting the coupon on the AEP-SCL leg. So you are saying I can just tick the SCL-LAW leg then when I request it online? I for sure will check in as early as possible to get in line.

Going forward I think I will start pushing my flying to Latam if possible.

Thanks!
Indeed, if they considered it as 2 separate flights, DO NOT request an UPG on the AEP-SCL flight.
Safe Travels!
Old Feb 10, 2017, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Another question regarding upgrades: when I fly SCL - GRU - FRA (on the same PNR) and I do online check-in in Santiago - how check-in time is calculated for the second leg (GRU-FRA) ?

I'd like to ask for upgrade on both legs (SCL-GRU, and GRU-FRA). This first leg is obvious in term of check-in time, but the second .. ? Does anyone have similar experience ?

Many thanks !
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Carolinas
Another question regarding upgrades: when I fly SCL - GRU - FRA (on the same PNR) and I do online check-in in Santiago - how check-in time is calculated for the second leg (GRU-FRA) ?

I'd like to ask for upgrade on both legs (SCL-GRU, and GRU-FRA). This first leg is obvious in term of check-in time, but the second .. ? Does anyone have similar experience ?

Many thanks !
I cant really renember if you will have to check in twice or just once....i just put the data as fast as i can so i can do the upgrade part fats.

But what i do renember is that you will need to ask for the upgrades 72 hours befero each fly. So if the first departs from SCL on monday 16.00 you can ask for that upgrade on friday 16.00. Then the GRU FRA depart about 23.00 (Scl time), so you will have to ask for that upgrade 23.00 of Friday

i am flying in about 10 more days (20/2) the same route i can take the note for you about the booking.... but for the upgrade you have all ready the info
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Carolinas

Many thanks !

Carolina after i have done a new check in i will upgrade the info on.... how it SHOULD work and how it DOES work (for me at least)

Should

As i told you if your fly from SCL departs at 16.45 monday you can do the check in for that leg at 16.45. And if your fly from GRU departs at monday 21.45 (SCL TIME) on monday. You will need to confirm my data (SCL GRU) at 21.45 friday.

The info that they will ask for the check you will only need to enter at the first leg start the check in, for you second leg they will just ask you confirm that data.

After the check in of each fly you can go to then to the upgrade site.

DID WORK

So today at 16.45 did my first check in without any problem. And the at 21.45 the next check in wassent open.... so i waited for a few minutes and at 22.00 i call the CS, and they didnt had any idea on what was going on. That i may be only able to check in 48 hours before the fly and toll me that i wassent able to ask for upgrade since i was flying BASE .... i explain that comodoro can ask for upgrades on TAM with base fare and after a minute the responde you are right....... so i guessed that she disnt had any idea.

Ok ..... so i waited a little more an about 23.00 i was able to got to the check in site for the next leg. But when i went to site they inform that for GRU to LHR i was only able to check in at the airport....... 2.45 hours before the fly and with the 12 hours confirmation rule, i will have slim to no chance to get upgraded.

So i call CS and again after 20 minutes talking to the agent, nothing. They didnt know what was going on, so i was only able to check in at the airport..... ok so i decided i have nothing to loose (they SCL GRU fly had no other flyer asking for upgrades) and when to cancel they first part of the check in. After i cancel that part, when again to the check in and was able to check both legs (SCL-GRU and GRU-LHR).

Story does not end there, since today the upgrade site on Lan wassent working (tried with my usser and my uncles user, on CL CO and USA site an nothing). So i had to got to the upgrade site on TAM (Latam Brasil) and no problem

The good part, is since the website and flys had so many problems, after 5 hours, we are the only ones on the upgrade list.

TIP..... some useless Agent on the CS let me know that if you have a JJ fly and then a LA fly, on the check in you must NOT decline to put a emergecy contact. Since on Lan you will need to have it..... so if is not entered for the first fly, you will have to added in the phone to check the next fly on LA
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: LATAM Black
Hola Carolinas etal,

I have some extra new info which I doubt will make you feel better.

As per my other thread I had some problems with on-line checkin on my LA flight SCL -MAD with return JJ GDG-GRU-SCL.

After online check-in via PC, I used my tablet and LATAM app. Now for my return JJ flights, on the app, I have a new reservation/ flight code for my second return leg, GRU -SCL, to be clear I now have the original code for CDG-GRU and a new one GRU-SCL. AND, get this, it includes an SCL-GIG flight which I never booked nor want. Whatever those LATAM website engineers are smoking, it aint healthy.

Safe travels.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 10:26 am

DID WORK

So i call CS and again after 20 minutes talking to the agent, nothing. They didnt know what was going on, so i was only able to check in at the airport..... ok so i decided i have nothing to loose (they SCL GRU fly had no other flyer asking for upgrades) and when to cancel they first part of the check in. After i cancel that part, when again to the check in and was able to check both legs (SCL-GRU and GRU-LHR).
so, just to confirm, if the last segment is TAM and the first is LAN, it is better to check in the whole itinerary once that flight is elegible for check-in? your timestamp was for the 2nd check in, not the one for the first cancelled check in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.