Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on routes to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by Semphyra
You can upgrade with Access, Control and Flex fares. It doesn't necessarily depends on the class, but in most cases as long as you don't buy in S, N, Q, O, G, A buckets you should be fine
I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a published table which relates LATAM tariff category (Base, Access, Control, etc..) to booking classes (S, N, Q, O ..) ?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by Carolinas
I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a published table which relates LATAM tariff category (Base, Access, Control, etc..) to booking classes (S, N, Q, O ..) ?
Their booking classes do not translate into tariff categories easily. For instance, if you book an international flight on LAN that includes a domestic connection (for example, a flight from an airport in Peru to Lima), the domestic connection will normally book into Y or B, but if the international flight is booked in the Base category, you will only get 25% kms for the domestic flight even if it is booked in B (normally a high economy booking class). To make it more confusing, domestic connecting flights withing Brazil on TAM book(ed) into Y and you could get 100% LANPass kms for them (at least this is the way it worked last year).

I am not sure why LAN has adopted this confusing practice. It makes it difficult to determine the number of kms you earn if you book a flight anywhere else than on their own website and have no way to find correspondence between a tariff category and a booking class.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
I have fly in those 2 ways and always get upgraded. Now i am flying GRU LHR and also always upgraded.
*always*? Really? If it's that easy I'm going to start doing BOG-LON via GRU more regularly.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
*always*? Really? If it's that easy I'm going to start doing BOG-LON via GRU more regularly.
You might hold on for a bit.. I was so excited about this possibility that I booked my next trip from SCL to Europe via GRU. Big mistake .. Here is what I've got so far:

1. After I purchased the tickets directly from Chilean LATAM web-site, I was given usual Chilean booking number (it's Sabre). Physically all flights will be performed by LATAM Brazil.

2. However, then things escalated quickly. I immediately realized that I cannot even do a seat selection ! Unbelievable ! LATAM Chile website says since the flight is operated by the Brazilians, I cannot do seat selection on Chilean site. Well, I went to the Brazilian one to do the same. Nope. Nada. Doesn't work either. And it doesn't work because LATAM Brazil use totally different booking system (Amadeus). My booking wasn't recognized and I was asked to call the Support center.

3. Calling Support center. They are very sympathetic and saying - "No problem, we will give you now Brazilian booking number of your reservation". Guess what happened ? After 15 min on the phone they finally said - "We are sorry, we cannot give you the number because we have no access to it. You have to use your Chilean booking". Right, but apart from the fact that IT DOES NOT WORK on either of the sites !! Instead, they suggested to do seat selection on the phone.

4. Online check-in. I specifically asked them - how can I do online check-in given that my reservation is not recognized by none of their websites ?! They replied - it's gonna be fine, don't worry. But I DO worry !! The whole reason of booking via Brazil was to get a better chance to be upgraded. Now I am not even sure I could do online check-in and I'll have to call the Support again. Which will be working against me, because as far as I understood check-in time plays critical role in the position in the upgrade list (provided elite statuses are equal).

Does anyone has similar experience ? Any tips ?

I am sorry, I am so depressed now ... This LATAM "integration" is such crazy mess, it's just unbelievable.

Last edited by Carolinas; Dec 7, 2016 at 6:46 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: BA
This is the same as pre-integration. Support /can/ give you the correct PNR. Standard LAN rule applies: Hang up, call again.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IanWorthington
This is the same as pre-integration. Support /can/ give you the correct PNR. Standard LAN rule applies: Hang up, call again.
Many thanks for the tip ^ After three attempts I managed to get my Brazilian booking code, BUT ... it still doesn't work After I successfully login to Brazilian LATAM website using my new reservation code, I got the following error message:

"Este código de reserva năo está disponível para compra de serviços, remarcaçőes e marcaçăo de assentos online. Para contratar este tipo de serviço procure sua agęncia de viagem.

Caso seu bilhete tenha sido emitido com a LATAM Airlines Brasil, entre em contato com nossa Central de Atendimento ou Suporte Comercial LATAM Airlines Brasil. (DDS:1034)"

This is totally bizarre ! I purchased the tickets directly on LATAM website, it's full economy tariff and I am LATAM Pass Black now. Another call to the Support couldn't do anything. The only thing they told me was the following - they apologize for the problems, they can only help me to select the seats on the phone, and they assured me that online check-in should work (regardless whether I'll do it on Chilean or Brazilian website).

I really don't know what to think. It doesn't make me more confident.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Many thanks for the tip ^ After three attempts I managed to get my Brazilian booking code, BUT ... it still doesn't work After I successfully login to Brazilian LATAM website using my new reservation code, I got the following error message:

"Este código de reserva năo está disponível para compra de serviços, remarcaçőes e marcaçăo de assentos online. Para contratar este tipo de serviço procure sua agęncia de viagem.

Caso seu bilhete tenha sido emitido com a LATAM Airlines Brasil, entre em contato com nossa Central de Atendimento ou Suporte Comercial LATAM Airlines Brasil. (DDS:1034)"

This is totally bizarre ! I purchased the tickets directly on LATAM website, it's full economy tariff and I am LATAM Pass Black now. Another call to the Support couldn't do anything. The only thing they told me was the following - they apologize for the problems, they can only help me to select the seats on the phone, and they assured me that online check-in should work (regardless whether I'll do it on Chilean or Brazilian website).

I really don't know what to think. It doesn't make me more confident.
I always do it as you say. Buy the tickets on the Chilean website for flys on LATAM BRASIL (or TAM - JJ). Since i have been doing this from a long time i dont even ask for the JJ code, just call the contact center and ask them to book my seats.

You can check in 72 hours before with you Booking number (Latam Chile) and them ask for your upgrade.

It is Easy now, last year you have to call LAN contact center, them they will put you to a TAM contact center. The problem is that TAM does not have a preferent contact center so sometimes your check in or upgrade postulation was 6 or 7 hours before some others.

The only problem that i have seem so far, is that when i ask for an upgrade for my wife (Black since June) they take out some of my conpanion certificates...That never happend to me on LAN. But just call them after your fly and you get them back...... I could just do mine and then log out, then go into the acount of my wife and ask for her upgrade..... but i am lazy hehehehe
Old Dec 9, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

I always do it as you say. Buy the tickets on the Chilean website for flys on LATAM BRASIL (or TAM - JJ). Since i have been doing this from a long time i dont even ask for the JJ code, just call the contact center and ask them to book my seats.
Just did it, many thanks ^ Hopefully, online check-in will work out too.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:32 am

Just did it, many thanks ^ Hopefully, online check-in will work out too.
I forgot to post the other thing that may go wrong with your upgrade. If you get it, and the cabin is 80% full or more.... Well you are not going to get what you want as dinner . Unless you are on rows 1,2 or 5,6 (777).

I dont know why, but always happen to me on TAM and never on LAN...Last fly was the same dish, on the GRU - LHR the 777 had 4 empty seats and when they got to me ROW 7 non "carne" (meat). Then on the MAD - SCL 787 just one empty seat, and i was on row 5, ask for the dish and no problem..... That is one story but it always happen to me on TAM, last GRU - MCO (24 nov) ask for a Sandwich and they only had Quiche (I dont eat eggs)
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:30 am

I have a question, my company bought me CNF-GRU-LHR-BUD, GRU-LHR via JJ, then LHR-BUD with BA, so I called Latam and I can upgrade to J using Multiplus points, does this give me access to any lounges on my layover at LHR or GRU?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
If your upgrade is cleared 24 hours before departure, you would be able to use the lounge in GRU. I'm not sure if you can use the lounge at LHR, though
Old Dec 13, 2016, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Semphyra
If your upgrade is cleared 24 hours before departure, you would be able to use the lounge in GRU. I'm not sure if you can use the lounge at LHR, though
Thanks for the response. Too bad since LHR will be my longest layover
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrisoli
I have a question, my company bought me CNF-GRU-LHR-BUD, GRU-LHR via JJ, then LHR-BUD with BA, so I called Latam and I can upgrade to J using Multiplus points, does this give me access to any lounges on my layover at LHR or GRU?

If you use your points to get upgraded your tickets will say Business all the time, is diferent if you use coupons on LATAM...You can get your business tickets on some routes 12 hours before (so you can access the lounge and fast lines) and in others you get it in the gate, so no any special service.

Now since your LHR-BUD is in BA, dont know if you will also ask for an upgrade on that route, if you do, yes you should have access to the lounges.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 2:09 pm

If you use your points to get upgraded your tickets will say Business all the time, is diferent if you use coupons on LATAM...You can get your business tickets on some routes 12 hours before (so you can access the lounge and fast lines) and in others you get it in the gate, so no any special service.

Now since your LHR-BUD is in BA, dont know if you will also ask for an upgrade on that route, if you do, yes you should have access to the lounges.
Just called Latam Brasil and they said there is no availability for upgrades with points on GRU-LHR on jan 5th , I assumed since its quite easy to get 20k on multiplus a lot of people have them, however the person on the phone told me it could either be all seats are taken or they might be only available in the near future, is this usual or should I not have my hopes up?

I checked on Expert Flyer and it shows around 12 seats available for the flights, I assume since most are unavailable thats why upgrades with points are unavailable
Old Dec 26, 2016, 6:56 am

does EF show J0? remember that un assigned seats do not relate to inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.