Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Economy only flights - International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy only flights - International

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Black
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Again, you're not being specific enough. I bet the economy only flights were on LATAM Argentina (the airline at the EZE end), while the flights premium bizz or premium eocnomy were on LATAM Chile (the airline at the SCL end). You just keep saying "LAN flights", but there are multiple airlines within LAN, and ignoring them just leads to more confusion.

I don't see why you make such big distinction between domestic flights and such short international flights. This is common all over the world. USA airlines run economy-only regional jet flights across the board into Canada just as they do within the USA, for example. In fact, that's been the topic of another thread here in the LATAM forum, about LAN discontinuing its JFK-YYZ (New York-Toronto) flight, and its partner AA only running an economy-only flight on that route, which is clearly international.

Meanwhile, as someone who has flown intra-Argentina a few times and expects to again, I'm more concerned about why LATAM Argentina can't put premium economy on its intra-Argentina flights either, when its main competitor Aerolineas Argentinas has them on its intra-Argentina flights. (But I can't can't earn LAN kms and reset my LAN km expiration by flying Aerolineas Argentinas.)
You would lose that bet. It was LA 442 - operated by LATAM Chile. I don't understand why you think it matters whether it is LAN AR or CL? I don't think that makes any difference at all.
And yes, I know that some domestic flights (be that in Argentina, Chile or Brazil) are longer than some international flights, however, it worries me when I see more and more flights between two capitals being served with economy only flights. The upgrade benefit loses a lot of value.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
You would lose that bet. It was LA 442 - operated by LATAM Chile. I don't understand why you think it matters whether it is LAN AR or CL? I don't think that makes any difference at all.
And yes, I know that some domestic flights (be that in Argentina, Chile or Brazil) are longer than some international flights, however, it worries me when I see more and more flights between two capitals being served with economy only flights. The upgrade benefit loses a lot of value.
The capital is not always the biggest city. Yes, in the cases of these two countries it is, but head over to Brazil, and it's more like the US and Canada (where the capital is far from the biggest city).

And if AA can run economy only between New York City (the biggest city in the US) and Toronto (the biggest city in Canada), how is that so different than economy only between Buenos Aires and Santiago?

Similarly, SAS put me (with business class tickets) on economy-only planes between Copenhagen and Oslo. Again, two capital cities, but short flights. (I did get one of the first three rows, but it didn't seem all that different than the other rows.)

In other words, this is a worldwide trend, not necessarily specific to LATAM.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAM Black
Sdsearch, my point and question was whether this is a trend we can expect to see more of on LATAM flights. Whether or not it is normal in US or Europe is not really much of my interest.
Do you have any insight to the LATAM strategy in this aspect?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cphflyer_EB
Do you have any insight to the LATAM strategy in this aspect?
There are two competing trends at work, and it's hard to say which will win in the long run on whatever routes you care about:

1. To add more premium economy to shorter-haul planes.

2. To use whatever shorter-haul planes they have available, even if economy-only, for shorter international routes.

Neither of these seems a plan to specifically make capital-to-capital economy only. It's just that I bet the planners of what plane flies where don't put into the equation whether they're flying capital-to-capital or not, just the distance and the planes that are available.

Now, what the plan is for adding more premium economy, that I'm not clear on, especially as it applies to the zillions of LATAM subsidiaries, each of which have their own fleets. LATAM never seems to explain that clearly, they hype "premium economy' on their webiste, with no mention of how that may or may not apply to each of the LATAM subsidiaries having different fleets.

LATAM promotional hype pretends its one airline, but LATAM in-air reality is that it's a bunch of loosely-connected airlines.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
LA is showing (out in the distance) only A321s on the SCL/EZE route (save the daily widebody), so these are new(ish) and apparently delivered with Y only. Even a SCL/LIM on a 321 is Y only.

I am disappointed in this development, as EZE is generally as least as convenient as AEP is for me, and even if I don't care about less than 2 hours of opulent splendor in the air, as a non-status flyer on Oneworld (my mileage bank is with partner AS), I can't even buy my way into premium airport ground support (check in, excellent lounge) with a Y only aircraft.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website currently shows this:
Esta clase se encuentra disponible en nuestros aviones Airbus 318, Airbus 319 y Airbus 320 que operan las rutas entre:

Santiago - Buenos Aires
Santiago - Montevideo
Santiago - Sao Paulo
Santiago - Lima
Lima - Bogotá
Lima - Sao Paulo
Quito - Lima
Quito - Miami
Guayaquil - Lima
Guayaquil - Santiago

Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
The website currently shows this:
Esta clase se encuentra disponible en nuestros aviones Airbus 318, Airbus 319 y Airbus 320 que operan las rutas entre:

Santiago - Buenos Aires
Santiago - Montevideo
Santiago - Sao Paulo
Santiago - Lima
Lima - Bogotá
Lima - Sao Paulo
Quito - Lima
Quito - Miami
Guayaquil - Lima
Guayaquil - Santiago

Which class is that? (I presume it was obvious in the context you quoted from, but without that context it's not so obvious.)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

> Esta clase

Which class is that? (I presume it was obvious in the context you quoted from, but without that context it's not so obvious.)
Premium economy, as evident from the "W" cabin referenced in the LIM/EZE line.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Premium economy, as evident from the "W" cabin referenced in the LIM/EZE line.
Thanks.

It would have been more evident has you said "W" is also present on the EZE/LIM line, and if everyone visiting this forum knew that "W" means Premium Economy. (Airline cabin codes vary from airline to airline, and W means different things at different airlines, and I can't keep them all their straight. I was just looking up Air Tahiti Nui award inventory up for someone in another forum, and W is a coach award over there.)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

It would have been more evident has you said "W" is also present on the EZE/LIM line, and if everyone visiting this forum knew that "W" means Premium Economy. (Airline cabin codes vary from airline to airline, and W means different things at different airlines, and I can't keep them all their straight. I was just looking up Air Tahiti Nui award inventory up for someone in another forum, and W is a coach award over there.)
As post 2, post 9 and post 15 already refer to the "W" cabin, it would have appeared evident, especially because one of my prior posts (in a thread you have been following closely) says "The beef here is that there isn't even a W (Premium Economy) cabin on Intra-South-America flights," one would have thought repeating same would have been redundant.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As post 2, post 9 and post 15 already refer to the "W" cabin, it would have appeared evident, especially because one of my prior posts (in a thread you have been following closely) says "The beef here is that there isn't even a W (Premium Economy) cabin on Intra-South-America flights," one would have thought repeating same would have been redundant.
I'm using the default of 15 posts per page in FT. Sorry, I only looked at posts on the current page, which start at 16.

Perhaps I've been following it closely, but I see so many zillions of fare codes in a day of reading many forums on FT that they go in one eye and out the other, sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
For me premium economy on Lan is just stupid. Is the same seat, the will only move the armrest and use a little table beteween the 2 seats. The space is the same that you can get on the first rows on any fly. Sure the service will be better, but the should copy the old "first class domestic" from Tam that is also sell as Premium Eco.

I have not find lot of problems on my international flys to find some fly with a J class, but i can say that i have seen less flys (ex. To Lim use to be about 5. Now you can find about 3 with J)
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by PABLOCO
For me premium economy on Lan is just stupid. Is the same seat, the will only move the armrest and use a little table beteween the 2 seats. The space is the same that you can get on the first rows on any fly. Sure the service will be better, but the should copy the old "first class domestic" from Tam that is also sell as Premium Eco.

I have not find lot of problems on my international flys to find some fly with a J class, but i can say that i have seen less flys (ex. To Lim use to be about 5. Now you can find about 3 with J)
+1. I'd take the TAM "F" seat without service any day over the LAN Y seat with service.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PABLOCO

For someone with no LATAM nor Oneworld status, I value the W availability over the one cabin service.

For SCL origin, one gets the premium check-in room along with the "private" security and passport check, and the lovely lounge.

For all origin, one gets (and if I'm going to BUE, I need) a larger baggage allowance.

Carry-on police aren't going to be hunting me down.

For EZE origin, the Y counters can be a joke, and I usually have luggage. I also get a decent lounge.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
For someone with no LATAM nor Oneworld status, I value the W availability over the one cabin service.

For SCL origin, one gets the premium check-in room along with the "private" security and passport check, and the lovely lounge.

For all origin, one gets (and if I'm going to BUE, I need) a larger baggage allowance.

Carry-on police aren't going to be hunting me down.

For EZE origin, the Y counters can be a joke, and I usually have luggage. I also get a decent lounge.
Dont get me wrong i am not saying that Premium Eco should be out of Lan. I am saying that the should go to the TAM standar for premium eco.

Also will be nice if the start putting some premium eco on domestic, going to PUQ or ARI (that dont even haves a lounge) with just some snacks is killing me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.