Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

New oneworld separate tickets policy on LATAM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2016, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know if LATAM has implemented/will be implementing the new oneworld policy limiting through-checking of bags on separate tickets?

I'm flying EZE-LIM-LAX on two tickets (one award, one revenue) next week, and it would be good to know in advance if I can count on being through checked...

EDIT: Relatedly, I've just realized that my separate tickets are for the same flight! LA2604 from EZE-LIM (in J), and AA7736 (i.e., LA2604) from LIM-LAX (in Y). Is there a plane change in Lima?

Last edited by jamespvg; Jun 17, 2016 at 1:14 am
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamespvg
I've just realized that my separate tickets are for the same flight! LA2604 from EZE-LIM (in J), and AA7736 (i.e., LA2604) from LIM-LAX (in Y). Is there a plane change in Lima?
The physical plane may or may not change, but you generally have to deplane for a couple hours in Lima and re-clear security. I'm not sure whether you have to collect checked bags, because I always fly carryon-only (including when I took this flight in both directions).
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
2604/5 almost always seem to have a plane change, and in any event, there's a crew change and required disembarkation / transit security for everyone.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks both for the plane-change advice!

I've found the partial answer to my other question also. In theory, LATAM is following the no-through-check rule as of June 1st: http://www.ausbt.com.au/oneworld-airlines-revise-baggage-policy-for-connecting-flights. (I suppose it's unclear whether they will apply the rule to LA-LA connections, though.)
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: LANPASS
LA-LA connections do get checked through to final destination if they are regarded as connection instead of stopovers (both segments on the same reservation, second departure less than 24 hours away from first departure, etc)

LA-oneworld (actually LA-"any airline which LAN has an edifact and interline thru-checkin agreement with") have always been constrained by the "both segments on the same reservation". Not sure if other airlines did check you through if both segments were on different reservations until now. But LAN was always very reluctant to do it and avoided it at all costs.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
LA-LA connections do get checked through to final destination if they are regarded as connection instead of stopovers (both segments on the same reservation, second departure less than 24 hours away from first departure, etc)

LA-oneworld (actually LA-"any airline which LAN has an edifact and interline thru-checkin agreement with") have always been constrained by the "both segments on the same reservation". Not sure if other airlines did check you through if both segments were on different reservations until now. But LAN was always very reluctant to do it and avoided it at all costs.
Thanks jlarroulet! Just to clarify: I understand from your post that LA-OW connections have (in practice) always had to be on the same PNR, but what about LA-LA connections? In this case, I am connecting from one LA flight to another on separate tickets (and separate PNRs).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: LANPASS
YMMV. At least mine has

It seems to depend on the counter agent's workload. It helps if you are ready to provide (at your point of first boarding) your other PNR and/or ticket number, so they can link both reservations as you will not be displayed in the outbound connections list.

they will be very reluctant to start looking on the GDS for your reservation if you don't provide such data (needle in a haystack... some people expect agents to find them even if they are not sure what their flight number is). It goes a long way to help the agent make this a quickly as possible since they are expected to process you in less than a minute
Old Jul 4, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA
If its any consolation LATAM agents have been unable to do separate PNR through check in to start with.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

To close the loop: the EZE check-in agent was a bit confused by the AA codeshare and said "not possible" to through checking. After I pointed out that it was actually LA-LA connection, she called a supervisor (with furrowed brow) and was told it was allowed. Phew!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Any further updates on this topic?

I wish to book two tickets. Cusco-Lima. Then Lima-Quito.
2 hour transit in Lima.
Different tickets. One issued by LATAM. The other with either AA or BA points.
i most definitely need my bags checked all the way through. (Traveling with kids)

Advice...?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
Any further updates on this topic?

I wish to book two tickets. Cusco-Lima. Then Lima-Quito.
2 hour transit in Lima.
Different tickets. One issued by LATAM. The other with either AA or BA points.
i most definitely need my bags checked all the way through. (Traveling with kids)

Advice...?
just bring carry ons, or buy a single ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:22 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
i most definitely need my bags checked all the way through
Then you 'most definitely' need to buy a single ticket
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
I had a single ticket booked through American AQP-LIM-DFW and I was required to pick up my baggage in Lima last night, exit the sterile zone and recheck my bags with American to go the rest of the way.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by stewlevine
I had a single ticket booked through American AQP-LIM-DFW and I was required to pick up my baggage in Lima last night, exit the sterile zone and recheck my bags with American to go the rest of the way.
Even had your bag been checked through, you'd have still needed to go through Peru exit formalities and then through international departure security.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Even had your bag been checked through, you'd have still needed to go through Peru exit formalities and then through international departure security.
Yes - but I would have avoided the 30 minute wait to recheck bags in the priority line (which would have been a lot worse in the regular line)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.