Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

does TAM usually pay compensation when checked bag is delayed by a couple of days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

does TAM usually pay compensation when checked bag is delayed by a couple of days?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

does TAM usually pay compensation when
checked back is delayed by a couple of days?
(for things like having to buy shirts/
underwear/tooshbrushes/shavers/etc)

I'm currently 11th person in line at the lost
baggage office, waiting to find out about my
bag that never showed up.

thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: LANPASS
They should provide a small amount of spending money to pay for primary necessities (higiene stuff, etc).
Compensation per se is delayed until they know if they'll be able to actually find and deliver your checked baggage to you. That won't happen until the 15th day or so
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
They should provide a small amount of spending money to pay for primary necessities (higiene stuff, etc).
Compensation per se is delayed until they know if they'll be able to actually find and deliver your checked baggage to you. That won't happen until the 15th day or so
got no money and was told that I have to return to the airport to pick up the bag myself.
(sometime late tonight or tomorrow morning) the lady did say that if I can produce a
taxi or bus receipt to/from the airport, it will be reimbursed. the other 10 people in
front of me also got nothing. the hotel concierge got the bellhop to go to the local
store and picked up several things that I needed. Gave both them a total of about
US$30 in tips for their troubles. They brought the stuff to my room before I even
finished room service breakfast this morning.

guess TAM is no BA? BA gave me 200 euros on the spot when my bag didn't show up
and even delivered it 5 days later, two countries away to a city that BA didn't even
fly to.(actually, the city had no commercial airport and the nearest one was 5 hours
away) when I flew back to IAD, I sent them all receipts and got reimbursed for
another US$183 for the clothes and suitcase that I had to buy.

Last edited by Siberian_Viktorya; Jun 14, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:55 pm

Wow... I never experienced anything like that on TAM (my only lost luggage was on LAN and they did provide some 50 bucks for immediate needs and delivered the bags to my hotel the next day)

I guess that would be another thing that hasn't yet been standardised
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I guess that would be another thing that hasn't yet been standardised
what do yo mean by standardised? It was my very first time flying TAM, so did something happen to the airline recently?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
what do yo mean by standardised? It was my very first time flying TAM, so did something happen to the airline recently?

Thanks!
A lot has happened
TAM merged with LAN, giving birth to LATAM. The merger process has been slow, painful and full of quirks. Both companies have very different policies and standards and some time in the future they should be undistinguishable, but nowadays more often than not they are not: different service recovery policies, different service, etc.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:13 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
You can track delayed luggage here: Trace Your Baggage

Additional delayed baggage information: Problems with my Luggage

LATAM accidentally sent my luggage to PPT, which is slightly funny
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JAGMAP

LATAM accidentally sent my luggage to PPT, which is slightly funny
LATAM(or any other airline) can "accidentally" send me to PPT an day of the week and I'll be very happy!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:03 am

LATAM(or any other airline) can "accidentally" send me to PPT an day of the week and I'll be very happy!
The only issue there is that you'll be stuck at PPT for a week and hotels are quite expensive

But coming to think about it, it they send you there by mistake paying for the hotel is the least they should do in compensation
Old Jun 20, 2016, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

The only issue there is that you'll be stuck at PPT for a week and hotels are quite expensive

But coming to think about it, it they send you there by mistake paying for the hotel is the least they should do in compensation
worst case scenario: I'll spend a week on the beach and make an interesting trip report.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:16 pm

worst case scenario: I'll spend a week on the beach and make an interesting trip report.
I wouldn't even complain if they made such a snafu with my travel plans
Old Jun 29, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Great news! Bag made its way home to SoCal. LATAM Twitter and agents responding to the online baggage messaging "tool" were warm, but not always knowledgeable.

Received a call from LATAM Cargo Miami last week saying it had just come in from Chile and would arrive SNA "sometime later in the week." Well, it was delivered about 30 minutes later so ^

Always, always, always obtain the name of any baggage personnel who may assist you during the search/claims process. SCL was the first place the bag went missing. Followed up again in IPC and agents were busy but as soon as I used the SCL lady's name, they stopped everything to help me. Same scenario played out on IPC return and again in SCL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.