Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

A few LAN questions: seating/lounges/meals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

Hi!

I'm off on my first trip to Chile in Jan (can't wait). I've been busy shopping, and now have a raft of LA flights booked:

GRU-SCL Y
SCL-IPC J
IPC-SCL J
SCL-PUQ Y
PUQ-SCL Y
SCL-CJC Y

So, a few questions:

1) The first flight from GRU was booked with a few other international flights via Expedia. It's an LA flight code booked in Q Class. When I go onto "My Trips" (which is tragically under equipped to modify bookings), when I try to select a seat (I'm Emerald with BA), it says "Cabin or flight does not allow seat reservation". Is Q class a "base" fare without seat selection possible? The flight is operated by the 789, so is it that the seat map isn't finished yet? Is it worth trying to call to assign a seat? I'd love a window seat for views of the Andes. I presume if nothing else, I can select a preferential seat at online check in.

2) The SCL-PUQ flights both block at 3h25mins (and both leave around 6am ). What catering is there on this flight? From what I can see, for international flights the cut off between a muffin and "breakfast" is a 3h30min duration, so it's just under. However, under domestic is just says "a complimentary snack". Are there places to buy snacks in SCL and PUQ airports? Does LA have a BOB service?

3) From what i've read, there are no lounges on domestic flights (or for my J flight to IPC)....is that right? Is the pay lounge worth paying for? I hear they have showers in SCL

Finally, i've got 2 self-made connections, one overnight IPC-SCL-PUQ with 7 hours to wait, and one of 3 hours PUQ-SCL-CJC. Will my bag be checked through to the final airport, and is there a domestic transit procedure or will I have to exit, and re-enter? Can I go airside in SCL at 11pm for a 5.40am flight? I don't want to spend the night in the airport particularly, but don't see the value in going to a hotel at midnight only to check out at 4am...Can you sleep in SCL domestic terminal?

Thanks for any helpful info!

Last edited by shefgab; Oct 17, 2015 at 5:04 pm
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Lets go one by one

1.- Q class is BASE, so you wont be able to choose a seat up to 48 hours before your fly, if you call the CS will be loosing your time. Since you have Emerald you will be able to choose Premium seats 48 hours before the fly so there you can grab a window easy. You may also get to the airport 4 hours before your fly and ask the person on the counter to give you one, the have some blocked to the last minute. DONT GET A EMERGENCY EXIT WINDOW, the window is to small and also is quite far from the seat.

2.- You are going to get 2 snacks, and you can choose from 4 in total. You can Choose a SWEET PASTRY (Cake "queque" or a cookie) SWEET SNACK (Cereal bar) SALTY PASTRY (I never ask for it so i dont have any idea on what you can get) and a SALTY SNACK (Peanuts and Almonds). You can also ask for Sodas, Juices and Coffe/Tea

3.- The Domestic Lounge is call "pacific club", dont pay for it is not worthit, the have realy few snacks and drinks,..... I have never try the showers but i think the will have 1 or 2 at most because is really small. If you choose to go in, you can use Priority Pass or pay 35usd.

4.- I think can ask for your bags to get checked all the way, the arrival and departure are linked so you dont have to exit and go past by security again. Stay in that area and you will see that after 11:30 you will find lots of empy seats when you can sleep easy.

I will post you some pictures tomorrow so you can check for all this points
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PABLOCO
I will post you some pictures tomorrow so you can check for all this points
Excellent! thank you so much! Looking forward to the photos.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
4.- I think can ask for your bags to get checked all the way, the arrival and departure are linked so you dont have to exit and go past by security again. Stay in that area and you will see that after 11:30 you will find lots of empy seats when you can sleep easy.
I do believe you have to reenter the domestic airside part of the terminal. Domestic security is fast and non-invasive. Also, when we came back from IPC, we were offloaded in international arrivals but just walked through passport control stating we came in on the IPC flight.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
I do believe you have to reenter the domestic airside part of the terminal. Domestic security is fast and non-invasive. Also, when we came back from IPC, we were offloaded in international arrivals but just walked through passport control stating we came in on the IPC flight.
I am adding the pictures for you, on sunday i was to late for the fly so i wasent able to get them. This where toke at 11pm so will be the time you arribe.

Also to let you know, this is the first time that happend to me, today the toke me to the arrival by bus, so i got into the airport at 1st floor (Main gate area is 2nd). I was going to the 2nd to get some snack for my wife, and a security lady toll me that i wasnt able, and if i had a conection fly i had to reenter.... Since i know my way around SCL i got the the 2nd anyway but is hard to explain, hope this dont happen to you.

THIS IS A HOW A FLY LOOK 50 HOURS BEFORE MY FLY (PMC - SCL, i was on Base)

SEAT I GOT (1C) + MY SNACK FOR TODAY

LOUNGE + FOOD YOU GET

SCL AT 11PM + SOME NICE SEAT TO GET A NAP

Hope this is helpfull
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:10 am
Original Poster

Hope this is helpfull
Very helpful! Thanks! Good to see the airside of SCL domestic - sofas look ok for a few hours sleep.

Is there good legroom in row 1 on the A321? I normally avoid row 1 as you can't stretch out your legs, so go for row 2 or 3.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
Very helpful! Thanks! Good to see the airside of SCL domestic - sofas look ok for a few hours sleep.

Is there good legroom in row 1 on the A321? I normally avoid row 1 as you can't stretch out your legs, so go for row 2 or 3.
Hehehehe they changed my plane (actualy i changed the fly....long story) so i was fling on a A320. They where just a few seats left on that fly, so i toke 1C because you can stretch on the aile.

On A320 i normaly take the 13A, on the 321 go for the 12A, all of this are easy to book 48 hours before the fly with some status.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
So they're still serving peanuts? Darn...I'm giving up over 8,000 miles a year on LA domestic flights because of it.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Op here! I'm back from my trip now - had a great time. A few oberservations of LAN as a regular BA flier:

- The lack of lounge access for Sapphire/Emerald/IPC J on domestics was pretty poor. I can't see any reason why LA can't issue vouchers for these pax to use the 3rd party lounge, especially as....

- Of my 9 flights, other than on the IPC flights, I was normally the only person in the "Preferente" boarding line. Does LA really have so few Sapphire/Emerald pax? In LHR it's not unusual on some flights to have more than half the passengers eligble for fast track boarding. There was no recognition of status onboard on any flight (so similar to BA, although they have a lot more status passengers).

- The onboard catering was ok. Given the fares I saw, I'm sure the 3 hour PUQ flight could have got something a bit more substantial than the cereal bar. Longhual (LIM-MAD) was better than expected.

- The IPC J catering was also ok. Breakfast was very dull, especially the plain omlette (no cheese!). On the afternoon return flight they had run out of pisco sour by the time the last passenger had boarded. I asked for a few drinks on the menu (like gin) to be told that "that's only for international flights"...so why was it on the menu!?

- Cabins were generally in very good nick compared to BA. The new 787-9 cabins are very pleasant, and the IFE is great. The extra legroom at the front of Y is nice, especially in the A320. Avoid row 2 though due to the extra IFE boxes taking up your legroom.

- On one flight I was sat in row two. In 1B was a young child, and in 2B was an infant. I was really shocked that for landing neither was strapped in. 1B was standing facing backwards on his mothers lap, whilst 2B was being cradled and passed between parents. The crew in the galley was fussing until right before landing, and completely ignored the children, although during the flight had chatted to the parents, so knew the children were there. Had there been any sort of bump or hard braking upon landing, 1B would certainly have flown head-first into the cockpit door or galley cupboards. Does LA not require children to be strapped in?

- Sapphire/Emerald doesn't include priority baggage on domestics....sods law, my bgas were nearly always the last to appear on the belt!

-Sleeping overnight in the domestic terminal is possible. There are some benches where you can lie flat. Not the best sleep ever, but far from the worst either.

-The SCL domestic J 3rd party lounge is no good for sleeping! I had a shower in there, but the water was cold. Food choices poor, but drinks were fairly decent. Way too many energetic children in there for my liking!
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Thanks for the updates. I'm thinking about South America later on on the year so this is very useful ^^
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Likewise, thanks very much for this - planning a S America trip next year across Brazil, Argentina and Chile, so this info is very useful (plan is to get from Europe to S America on BA).

For anyone considering the same, individual segments between these countries on LATAM are quite expensive (unsurprising as they are one-way international) but if you search for a multi-city taking in all the destinations on one ticket it seems to come in much cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.