Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Lima Airport: Domestic arrival from Cusco to International Terminal?

Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

Arriving Lima from Cusco on LAN Airlines, departing on an international flight on United Airlines from Lima to Houston. Is it easy to get from domestic arrivals to International check-in?

Becaase LAN and United are not partners, we'll have to retrieve our luggage at LIM from our LAN, Cusco flight, then go to the United check-in counter to check in for our United flight to Houston.

Is getting from the LAN domestic baggage carrousel over to International check-in with United easy to get too?

How much time should this take?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by swdke
Arriving Lima from Cusco on LAN Airlines, departing on an international flight on United Airlines from Lima to Houston. Is it easy to get from domestic arrivals to International check-in?

Becaase LAN and United are not partners, we'll have to retrieve our luggage at LIM from our LAN, Cusco flight, then go to the United check-in counter to check in for our United flight to Houston.

Is getting from the LAN domestic baggage carrousel over to International check-in with United easy to get too?

How much time should this take?

Thanks!
Yup, easy. Grab a (free) cart at domestics luggage carousel, exit, go to International check in counters, what, 20 meters to the right. Probably 10 minute wait for your luggage, 4 minute walk if you doddle.

Last edited by bingocallerb22; Apr 30, 2012 at 1:55 pm
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:28 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Anecdotal evidence suggests that LAN and United will interline bags between each other

Worth asking in CUZ, probably will depend on hormone equilibrium of your particular check in agent
Old Apr 30, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Also just so you are aware the counters for United don't open until about 7 or 7:30 pm at LIM.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:00 pm

Slightly different question:
I'm arriving at LIM on LAN at 4:35am and departing to CUZ on LAN at 5:50am. Is that enough time?
Old May 22, 2012, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by BigRedBears
I'm arriving at LIM on LAN at 4:35am and departing to CUZ on LAN at 5:50am. Is that enough time?
Should be, at that time. If there are problems, LAN has lots of flights to take.
What flight arrives at LIM at 4:35?
Old May 22, 2012, 7:42 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
The only 2 risks I see is flight delay, and the immgration lines. Fortunately the peak hours for i.l. are between 10pm and midnight. It shouldn't be crowded at 5am; though I have not checked lately, I suggest you should check this webpage tonight, it should show the arrivals for next morning

http://www.lap.com.pe/lap_portal/vue...elo=I&accion=L

so you can get an idea of how crowded the international terminal will be.

Both terminals are on the same building and it's not too far, compared with large US airports. It won't take a lot to walk from one to another.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Villavic
The only 2 risks I see is flight delay, and the immgration lines. Fortunately the peak hours for i.l. are between 10pm and midnight. It shouldn't be crowded at 5am; though I have not checked lately, I suggest you should check this webpage tonight, it should show the arrivals for next morning

http://www.lap.com.pe/lap_portal/vue...elo=I&accion=L

so you can get an idea of how crowded the international terminal will be.

Both terminals are on the same building and it's not too far, compared with large US airports. It won't take a lot to walk from one to another.
^
Old May 22, 2012, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
What flight arrives at LIM at 4:35?
That's the Miami flight. Arriving at 4-6 am is always exponentially better than arriving at midnight (immigration-wise).
Old May 22, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
That's the Miami flight. Arriving at 4-6 am is always exponentially better than arriving at midnight (immigration-wise).
Absolutely true.
Something I forgot is about the security check line to enter the domestic terminal. It shouldn't be that long, but there are several flights early in the morning (6-8am), so maybe it could be a bit crowded. Anyway I wouldn't worry, unless you arrive on a peruvian long weekend (easter, july 28-29, june 29, october 8), those are peak days for traveling within Peru.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Gracias. Fyi just arrived a 6 am flight and breezed thru, and they had just cleared a Madrid flight, so 4:30 must be a super fast.

Indeed, there were more spandex gals than immigration agents
Old May 28, 2012, 8:56 pm

I forget to mention, or is it I now remember to remind you to make sure you have the boarding pass for the domestic flight ahead of time.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I forget to mention, or is it I now remember to remind you to make sure you have the boarding pass for the domestic flight ahead of time.
Yes, if you already have your boarding passes and your baggage checked to Cusco it should be enogh time.

However since I'm peruvian and live in Lima I'm not sure about one detail, maybe the foreign flyertalkers fellows may help. When you arrive to Lima, even if your final destiny is another peruvian city, do you have to claim your baggage to cross customs checks? like when you arrive to MIA though your destiny is DFW for example?

In that case it could take a while to wait for the baggage, but the actual check shouldn't take too long. If you are lucky yo get a green light and then you are out of customs ready to go to domestic gate. If you are not lucky and get the red light, the X-Rays line is not that long. I got twice red light and it wasnt' a long wait, even during peak hours. I guess the Lan counter could inform about this.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
Originally Posted by Villavic
If you are lucky yo get a green light and then you are out of customs ready to go to domestic gate.
It would be nice if this was still true. I got a green light but because I had three bags plus my carry on the girl at the light sent me to the x-ray machine. When I complained she said "too many bags". There I was subjected to mistreatment by some idiot who works for customs. Things keep going downhill, they even had sniffer dogs at the baggage carousels. When I asked why, I was told they are checking for drugs ?????? I hope that this isnt true and they were instead sniffing for cash. If true it will be just another example of govt. corruption.
Old May 29, 2012, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by david_33
It would be nice if this was still true. I got a green light but because I had three bags plus my carry on the girl at the light sent me to the x-ray machine. When I complained she said "too many bags". There I was subjected to mistreatment by some idiot who works for customs. Things keep going downhill, they even had sniffer dogs at the baggage carousels. When I asked why, I was told they are checking for drugs ?????? I hope that this isnt true and they were instead sniffing for cash. If true it will be just another example of govt. corruption.
So they forced you to go to X-ray just because you had 3 baggages? I have never read about that rule, though I guess she is authorized to bypass the light and indicate a passanger to go to X-ray for some reason, though 3 bags are not a reason IMHO. After reading your post I was looking at the Customs government website (http://www.sunat.gob.pe/orientaciona...ros/index.html is only in spanish, sorry), and didn't find about bags limit. It indicates the type of objects that are tax free. I agree with you it was unfair and an awkward moment, but it's not the usual I guess. Though i've not brought 2 or 3 bags in the last years, I've seen people with lot of baggage and they usually press the button.

About the dog, I don't see your point, or maybe I'm missing something. Yes, dogs usually are there for detecting drugs, as in Miami i've seen Beagle dogs at the carrousel sniffing for fruits (or drugs, too?) and I always thought it's business as usual, cause I've seen that US airport lot of times. Actually it doesn't bother me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.