Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Newb - Questions!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Silver, BW Diamond
LAN Newb - Questions!!

So, we're getting ready to take 8 legs on LAN in coach and have some questions (never flown them before). Here are our flights:
LAX>LIM>CUZ
CUZ>LIM>GYE
GYE>GPS
GPS>GYE
GYE>LIM
LIM>LAX

Here are our questions:

1) Are they serious about the 8kg/17lb carry-on weight limit? That pretty much kills our plan of not checking bags
2) Our itinerary was changed (by LAN) after booking and we now only have 1hr 50 mins to connect from LIM to CUZ after arriving from LAX. Is that enough? Originally thought that not checking bags would help but see #1.
3) Do they ever ask for a Yellow Fever certificate when flying into Ecuador from Peru? I've read that they technically require it but haven't heard of anyone being asked for it.
4) What type of food is offered on their flights? I don't eat beef or pork, will I be okay or should I let them know? (or will it matter if I do)
5) Is it true they don't sell alcohol on flights originating before 10 AM?

Thanks for your help!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:35 am

1) Yup, they're serious about ut. Most times they won't measure or weigh it, but when they do they don't allow anything extra
2) That's enough time, checked bags or not..
4) On the long hauls you'll have the typical pasta/beef option, you can still ask for a vegetarian option before your flight
5) LAN doesn't sell any alcohol, it's free onboard. About the before 10 am rule, i'm not sure about long hauls being like that as well.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 8:28 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
1) If my carry on is overweight I tell them to shut up and go away. Normally works
2) I think it is potentially a bit tight at LIM but you are presumably the whole itinerary on the same ticket so not to worry
3) Ecuador no yellow fever required, are you specifically referring to GPS? If you have heard that yellow fever cert is required then why not just get the yellow fever jab rather than risk a) getting yellow fever and b) passing it on to someone else? It's the sensible and responsible thing to do.
4) a. LAX LIM - LP long haul food, will be beef or pasta or beef or chicken with beer or wine
b. LIM CUZ LIM LP domestic packet of snacks with beer after 10am
c. LIM GYE LP regional international snack service which will be a horrible small ham and cheese croissant plus a chocotejo and beverage service.
d. GYE GPS. Don't know
e. GPS GYE See d
f. GYE LIM see c
g. LIM LAX see a
5. Yes LAN Peru will not give you alcohol for breakfast

Edit: LAX LIM LAX might be operated by LA not LP, same but nicer food in my opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the detailed replies!!

#2 - Yes, we're on one ticket from LAX through to CUZ.

#3 - Johnny, regarding the YF jab, the regions we are visiting (Cuzco, Machu Picchu, Lima, Guayaquil, and the Galapgos) do not have YF and the CDC and WHO do not recommend getting the jab for those regions. My concern is that when flying from LIM to GYE, I've heard that Ecuador could require it since we're coming from Peru (a country that has it in some regions). So, it's not about me protecting myself and others since there is no risk of getting the disease where we are going, it's about potentially getting asked for the certificate when we get to Ecuador.

Just curious whether anyone has been asked for it when entering Ecuador from Peru or by LAN when boarding the flight to GYE? We really don't want to spend $260 plus get a vaccination we don't need if we don't have to.

No alcohol for breakfast on our CUZ > LIM flight
What about the GYE > LIM leg that leaves in the morning?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:06 pm

Well there was an outbreak of Dengue in the Galapagos in 2002 which means they DO have Aedes aegypti which is the same bítch mosquito that spreads Yellow Fever.

On that basis I would understand them wanting to protect themselves from Yellow Fever. I think yellow fever certs are usually required to protect the destination as much as the visitor, i.e. destinations where the conditions exist for an epidemic (Aedes aegypti)

As such having the jab is the responsible thing to do. Both to prevent you bringing it from Peru (which you won't) and from getting it in Ecuador and then giving it to someone else.

Why does it cost $260 though? mine cost $30 with certs at the Red Cross here in Bogotá. If I'd had to pay $260 I would also be asking whether it was absolutely necessary, notwithstanding, charging over the top for a vaccine which could eliminate a crappy disease isn't playing ball very nicely.

I have flown from LIM to UIO three times and never been asked for a cert.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 3:08 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hi. Specific to your question, never been asked for proof of vaccination, but I have it so maybe one of those, if you have it, they don't ask coincidences. If it is about the money you can get jabbed at LIM over by domestic arrivals for $30. If about unnecessary vaccination , I understand, but it is good for many years, and if you plan to travel more...

On LAN domestics I have asked about a mid-morning beer, she hesitated then went to fetch one. I find the LP FAs try to please rather than say no.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I've flown LIM-GYE many times and never asked for Yellow Fever certificate. As was mentioned earlier if you have concerns about a restricted diet, request a special meal in advance by contacting LAN.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the help! Johnny, it's $130 or more per person for the jab here in L.A. I'm guessing they keep it cheaper in S.A. so that people will actually get it and not spread the disease. We are considering getting it in Lima so that we'll have it for future travels, but it won't do us any good if asked for a certificate on this trip since they aren't valid until 10 days after getting the jab.

Everything I've found online says there is no risk of YF in the Galapagos.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
Thanks again for the help! Johnny, it's $130 or more per person for the jab here in L.A. I'm guessing they keep it cheaper in S.A. so that people will actually get it and not spread the disease. We are considering getting it in Lima so that we'll have it for future travels, but it won't do us any good if asked for a certificate on this trip since they aren't valid until 10 days after getting the jab.

Everything I've found online says there is no risk of YF in the Galapagos.
Vaccination costs in the US are much higher because the cost of medical care is much higher and travel vaccinations are usually not covered by insurance. There is no risk of YF in Lima or Cuzco, either, but as others have stated it may be a good thing to have for future travels (Brazil used to require proof of vaccination for anyone who had travelled to Peru in the previous 6 months.) If you are concerned about having an appropriately dated certificate, clinics in Lima have been known to "adjust" the date of vaccination according to the traveller's needs. Also keep in mind that some people have a reaction to the vaccine that they consider worse than getting yellow fever itself, so think about whether you want to take the risk of potentially being laid up in bed for a couple days during your S American trip.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlc201
Also keep in mind that some people have a reaction to the vaccine that they consider worse than getting yellow fever itself, so think about whether you want to take the risk of potentially being laid up in bed for a couple days during your S American trip.
Yea, this is one of the reasons we don't want to get the shot unless we have to; however, given our travels we're likely to need it at some point anyway. We have a one night layover in Lima on our way home and are thinking about getting it then. At least a bad reaction wouldn't kill our vacation, just our layover and flight home. This is assuming we really don't need it for getting into Ecuador, which it seems nobody is ever asked for it.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:48 pm

For what its worth, when I got mine I was told that I would only get a bad reaction if I am allergic to chicken, eggs or pasta.

I was told I might get some mild flu symptoms, which I indeed did but nothing major
Old Apr 9, 2012, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I was told I might get some mild flu symptoms, which I indeed did but nothing major
That's good to know! I'd hate to have some horrible reaction.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 4:29 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
regarding the carry-on-bag - be at the gate not before the boarding process has started. in south america the gate agents walk around the waiting area on the quest to spot oversize, overweight and too many bags which they will check in for you - no discussion.
as soon as boarding has started they are occupied with checking boarding passes.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
regarding the carry-on-bag - be at the gate not before the boarding process has started. in south america the gate agents walk around the waiting area on the quest to spot oversize, overweight and too many bags which they will check in for you - no discussion.
as soon as boarding has started they are occupied with checking boarding passes.
That's great to know! What about here at LAX, do they stop you at the gate? American did that to my twice on my last trip and my bag wasn't even oversize
Old Apr 9, 2012, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
That's great to know! What about here at LAX, do they stop you at the gate? American did that to my twice on my last trip and my bag wasn't even oversize
The risks at LAX are twofold: 1) When you check in (if you are in Clase Turista), they may ask to weigh your carry on. I always check in with the Clase Ejecutiva line (due to OW status, not actually travelling in Ejecutiva) and have never been asked to weigh my carry on. 2) At the gate, the above advice holds true. If you are sitting in the gate area with a carry on that fails the eyeball test, you are asking for trouble. Anyone sitting across the aisle next to the See's Candy counter, or arriving once boarding has started, is in the safe zone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.