Canceling & Combining Flights

Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Canceling & Combining Flights

I'm looking specifically at LA 531 and XL 539

On many dates the flight time of XL 539 (JFK-GYE) has been moved up to the same time as LA 531 (JFK-LIM).

First of all, is it even possible that LAN would be granted two takeoff slots from JFK at exactly the same time?

I am wondering if they are simply managing loads by canceling and combining the flights. So that begs the next question what happens if they combine: does the flight go to LIM or GYE?

I'm afraid I am not a very good detective so I have not been able to find any data from recent flights which supports this idea.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Methinks you've seen one too many black helicopters flying overhead.

In the even that you weren't imagining them, 531 is the critical flight. Lots of O/D in LIM, as well as returning empty cargo containers to ship the next few tons of asparagus to NYC.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

"Methinks you've seen one too many black helicopters flying overhead."

HAHA-- MAYBE!
OTOH I have experienced way too many light load flights which developed sudden "mechanical" issues and were canceled.
Of course just after I posted I realized that 531 continues to SCL so naturally that would be the priority.

But I have often wondered if GYE-JFK really has enough traffic to fill six non-stop flights a week.

Last edited by phlashba; Mar 20, 2012 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by phlashba
OTOH I have experienced way too many light load flights which developed sudden "mechanical" issues and were canceled.
Of course just after I posted I realized that 531 continues to SCL so naturally that would be the priority.

But I have often wondered if GYE-JFK really has enough traffic to fill six non-stop flights a week.
It sure has loads of pax, and better yet more profitable tons of excess baggage to GYE, whenever I've seen it. And the GOL flight is packed leaving about the same time.

Remember, one is a LAN the other LAN Ecuador... two different...
And they have had two slots about the same time for some time now... and managed to get some new daytime slots for the new flights in Spetember to LIM...

Do you think the new daytime flights will initially "split" the traffic or generate more?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

It will be interesting to see what impact the daytime flights from LIM have on LAN traffic. I was talking to an agent who said a lot of people prefer the daytime flights (that would not be me!)
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by phlashba
It will be interesting to see what impact the daytime flights from LIM have on LAN traffic. I was talking to an agent who said a lot of people prefer the daytime flights (that would not be me!)
Me too, very interested...

for sure, the night flight in J... but given so many coupons and unlimited upgrades contemplating trying them for a day flight (never a night flight - too risky, but failure to upgrade a day flight might not be too bad?)... would you risk Y for daytime flight Plash?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Me too, very interested...

for sure, the night flight in J... but given so many coupons and unlimited upgrades contemplating trying them for a day flight (never a night flight - too risky, but failure to upgrade a day flight might not be too bad?)... would you risk Y for daytime flight Plash?
Not over four hours! That's about double my two hour tolerance for Y. So in reality I would only risk it from say EZE to LIM. But hopefully my days of risk are all behind me --- Now I stick to confirmed J or bust!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.