Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mgm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Mgm

i am staying in the west wing room in the mgm vegas for five nights does anyone know the best way to get upgraded to a celebrity spa or terrace suite.
we are a honeymoon couple maybe if i mentioned this it would help.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by ymoran
i am staying in the west wing room in the mgm vegas for five nights does anyone know the best way to get upgraded to a celebrity spa or terrace suite.
I'm sure that mentioning you're on your Honeymoon would do no harm at all - and I do indeed hope you have a wonderful trip. Many congratulations.

I suspect that the Las Vegas forum might be a better place to ask this question - there's some awfully canny upgrade-hunters there. The MGM (apart from the Skylofts - which I most thoroughly reccommend, if you can afford 'em) wouldn't really be classed as a luxury property by most.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, ymoran. I believe you will be better served if I move this thread over to the Las Vegas Forum (United States)
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:50 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
most recent post about MGM in the upgrade thread in the Vegas forum.

Biggest issue, what days of the week. Midweek is always a better chance for an upgrade. But, if you are staying mid-week; and this is your honeymoon --- I really question why you just don't drop the coin on the upgrade, and then NOT have to worry (or potentially) get an even better upgrade.

IMHO, these suites are really not that expensive to buy into.

I also agree, MGM is not considered a luxury property; though their suites are a very good value. (and MGM has a lot of awesome dining options, including one of my favorites Shibuya Japanese Restaurant)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

welcome to FT

skylofts are as low as $430 some weeknights the next few months (through american express FHR for platinum cardholders - dont remember if virtuoso has same discount) FHR also includes breakfast, $75 spa credit, and maybach airport transfers. might be worth considering the splurge for 1 night if youre traveling soon and the rate is avail.
Old Sep 16, 2007, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ymoran
follow this link http://www.fatwallet.com/t/63/704925/ @ fatwallet. signature or suites can be had for cheap $129+.

i'm going back on nov. 21 & 22 (b4 thanksgiving & thanksgiving day) for $129 on celeb. spa suite.

you can also stay at the mgm signature for $159 midweek 2.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:45 pm

Somebody on FT (can't remember who or in which thread, but their advice has been truly appreciated) recommened this website www.vrbo.com I checked it out and since learning of it, I use it all the time now and stay in lavish condos or even houses for about the same price as a nice hotel room. I'm staying in a 1 bedroom suite at the MGM Signature in Vegas for $170 a night. By using vrbo, I was able to save 30% off the MGM signature website. If you're thinking of staying at this property, you should give that site a look-see. I haven't been to the Signature yet, but judging solely from the photos I've seen, it looks much nicer than the Venetian, where I usually stay. Try finding a 950 sq. ft. one bedroom suite (with a balcony - how cool is that in Vegas) with a fully equipped kitchen, at a hotel for that price. I'm not saying that renting a condo is a good choice for everyone, but it doesn't hurt adding it to the list of potential places to consider.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by hhonorman
Somebody on FT (can't remember who or in which thread, but their advice has been truly appreciated) recommened this website www.vrbo.com I checked it out and since learning of it, I use it all the time now and stay in lavish condos or even houses for about the same price as a nice hotel room.
jtkauai was a big booster of www.vrbo.com It was possibly him. And there's lot's more great deals he turned us all onto. He has chosen not to participate on FlyerTalk anymore, for several reasons. But many of us remember him and his input, and miss both very much. ^ ^
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Originally Posted by kaukau
jtkauai was a big booster of www.vrbo.com It was possibly him. And there's lot's more great deals he turned us all onto. He has chosen not to participate on FlyerTalk anymore, for several reasons. But many of us remember him and his input, and miss both very much. ^ ^
I agree totally with kaukau.

lmoran, get yourself out of the West Wing! I've not read a good thing about it and thanks to warnings here, booked a regular room at the Playrs club rate.

Get up to speed on the '$20 trick' and if you can be as charming and clever as kaukau, you too will have a great (upgrade) story to share.

I think I stayed for five nights at MGM but didn't get an upgrade (9PM, Wednesday at the airport, IIRC) so find out from that thread and the LV topics, if the day and timing of your arrival helps.

Maybe the airport is the best place for an upgrade - it likely depends on the impression you make and the 'service-orientedness' of your agent.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 12:09 am

What are you paying for the Westwing room? I like the Westwing, small but modern rooms. Under http://www.vegas-hotels-online.com/2...inner-vegas-2/ you find a new MGM promo, Bungalow suites starts from $119, Celebrity Spa and Hollywood Suites from $129.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:04 am

Just to plug VRBO some more... we haven't used it for Vegas yet but we've used it to find accommodations for our other trips (like Oahu & Maui) and have been very successful.
To be honest, I hadn't heard of the Signature before this thread but I looked it up and it looks very nice. Also highly rated on Tripadvisor. Just doing a little more digging around... suites for the Signature can also be found on other "vacation rentals by owner" websites such as Craigslist and Homeaway (which we have also successfully used). Pretty similar prices compared to ones posted on VRBO.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Jay71
To be honest, I hadn't heard of the Signature before this thread but I looked it up and it looks very nice.
I've also heard good things about MGM Signature. Alex (aceman) recently stayed there a few nights, IIRC --- and really liked it. I "think" it is also a 100% non-smoking property.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I've also heard good things about MGM Signature. Alex (aceman) recently stayed there a few nights, IIRC --- and really liked it. I "think" it is also a 100% non-smoking property.
How fun is Alex/Aceman to party with! OMG we had fun at TI last year at the craps and pai-gow tables.

Geez, I'm envious of your recent trip, baccarat_king! Sure wish we could have been there!

Oh, well, next time. We'll be there in 10 days. Gonna hook up with Martinis at 8 for cocktails at the Nugget!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by kaukau
How fun is Alex/Aceman to party with! OMG we had fun at TI last year at the craps and pai-gow tables.

Geez, I'm envious of your recent trip, baccarat_king! Sure wish we could have been there!

Oh, well, next time. We'll be there in 10 days. Gonna hook up with Martinis at 8 for cocktails at the Nugget!
thanks, kaukau -- my trip report is "almost complete" and will be on the blog by the weekend (parts are already up on the LVA trip reports board).

It was all great --- EXCEEPT for that nasty, snarky $100 double decker at Luxor --- but, that was ALL Alex's fault --- and I stand by that.

BTW, I will (most probably) be in Vegas in December around the 7th/8th --- so, maybe we'll finally get a chance to roll those bones. Alex and I had a very enjoyable, but basically even session playing dice @ Red Rock before a relaxing lunch @ Salt Lick.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 4:37 pm

Ok guys and gals, I am in limbo as to what to do here. My brother and sister-in-law called and said they wanted to use up their vacation time before the year was out, and asked if we'd like to get out of town, and if so, where to? I of course knew where to go We've decided to head back out to Vegas December 10-14 since Love is our last "permanant" show we really want to see and it's not dark then, plus there were some really low prices on hotels that week.

So, I got a promo code for MGM which could have us in a standard king room for $69 per night. However, Signature Junior Suites are on sale that week for only $159 per night. I've heard really good things about the Signature, but i've heard that the MGM isn't going to be all that bad either. What I really want to do though is book the cheaper room and then get there and try to grease someone's palm and to try and upgrade to the Signature since I know it's going to be slow that week. So, if it was your money, or in your experience, would you go ahead and get the Signature room? Or would you book the lower rate and try to work your way into a better room once you got out there?

Thanks in advance for helping me make my decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.