Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West > Las Vegas
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 12, 06, 11:38 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OOL Australia
Programs: QFF (Silver), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Posts: 2,432
What now stands on the site of the Riverboat/Showboat Casino in Vegas

I was in Vegas in 1974 and stayed at a Casino that was either Riverboat or Showboat. There was a Mobil gas station either next door or a few doors away.

For the oldies to remember no doubt
Lonely Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 5:24 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny Place
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 1,654
The Showboat on Boulder Highway. It was known as the Castaways, for a time, had financial troubles, was forclosed upon, closed, and sadly, was torn down, a few months back. All that's left is the base of the sign. If my memory doesn't fail me, I believe Station Casinos owns the property and has plans for the site. The local TV stations took a number of trips down memory lane, with the Showboat, this past year.
Sunnyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 1:52 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OOL Australia
Programs: QFF (Silver), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere View Post
The Showboat on Boulder Highway. It was known as the Castaways, for a time, had financial troubles, was forclosed upon, closed, and sadly, was torn down, a few months back. All that's left is the base of the sign. If my memory doesn't fail me, I believe Station Casinos owns the property and has plans for the site. The local TV stations took a number of trips down memory lane, with the Showboat, this past year.
No this place was on the Strip. My feeling it was about halfway.
Lonely Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 2:16 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Orange, CA.
Programs: America Worst
Posts: 198
Showboat Casino

Memory Lane

I think this is the first Casino I went to
when I was 21. Boulder and Freemont.
They still had real silver dollars in the machines.
Loved the sound they made in the tray dropping.
That sound is so cool. Real Silver.
I remember hitting my first $ 100.00 jackpot on a dollar machine.
Seems like 2 lifetimes ago. Early 70`s sometime.

Last edited by bltserv; Dec 13, 06 at 2:30 pm..
bltserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 2:30 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,351
Are you thinking of the Paddlewheel? (I think that's what it was called) It is about a half block off the strip and looked like a bid paddlewheel steam boat. Debbie Reynolds had a show there for a while a few years ago.

Edit: On second thought, there was no gas station nearby. The one I'm thinking of was near Silver City which has been boarded up (Torn down now, maybe) I was in Vegas last weekend and will be there for the next two. I usually stay out of the tourist areas but will be on the strip this time so I'll take a look.
rc408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 2:34 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 224
In the mid 1970's there was the Riverboat (Riverboat Queen?) that looked like a big showboat...it was on The Strip and had a Mark Twain motif with a big paddlewheel facade out front.

Lots of changes/sales/rebuilding over the years and - ta da - welcome to the site currently known as Harrahs (across the street from Mirage).
__________________
My tacky, tasteless and highly-opinionated Las Vegas website:
www.dmarkslasvegas.com
DMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 6:09 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OOL Australia
Programs: QFF (Silver), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
In the mid 1970's there was the Riverboat (Riverboat Queen?) that looked like a big showboat...it was on The Strip and had a Mark Twain motif with a big paddlewheel facade out front.

Lots of changes/sales/rebuilding over the years and - ta da - welcome to the site currently known as Harrahs (across the street from Mirage).
Yes I think you got the spot It was very near Caesars Palace

Remember going to a show at the old MGM (where was this exactly not on cuurent site I believe) and saw a magic show not sure now if it was Sigfried and Roy back then

Also went and saw Robert Goulet and Foster Brooks but not sure where. This was 1976 and a bit hazy.

Funny visted Las Vegas in 74 and 76

and again in 04 and 06

Will I be back in 2034 & 2036
Lonely Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 6:26 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sunny Place
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc408 View Post
Are you thinking of the Paddlewheel? (I think that's what it was called) It is about a half block off the strip and looked like a bid paddlewheel steam boat. Debbie Reynolds had a show there for a while a few years ago....
Here's a website for the PaddleWheel...that rendition being way before my time. I'm in the Debbie Reynolds-World Wrestling Foundation-And Now Something else generation. This is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Strip.
Sunnyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 6:41 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Siver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG PLT,Marriott Silver,EP Subscriber
Posts: 6,303
I believe it was The Holiday Casino owned and operated by Holiday Inns, later enlarged and became Harrahs.

http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/...harrahs28T.jpg
__________________
R.I.P. AAdvantage OneWorld Explorer First Class AAwards the Best Deal in Frequent Flyer Redemption's. - Parker Must Go
UncleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 9:45 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: OOL Australia
Programs: QFF (Silver), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Posts: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
I believe it was The Holiday Casino owned and operated by Holiday Inns, later enlarged and became Harrahs.

http://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/...harrahs28T.jpg
Yes that is the place. When did the boat disappear
Lonely Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 06, 9:53 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyhere View Post
Here's a website for the PaddleWheel...that rendition being way before my time. I'm in the Debbie Reynolds-World Wrestling Foundation-And Now Something else generation. This is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Strip.
That brought back some memories. Thanks for the link!
rc408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 06, 12:20 am   #12
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Siver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG PLT,Marriott Silver,EP Subscriber
Posts: 6,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer View Post
Yes that is the place. When did the boat disappear
Probably the 1987-89 Renovation and Major Extension.

All you need to know about Vegas Casino Hotels is here.

http://www.library.unlv.edu/arch/casinosbyname.html
__________________
R.I.P. AAdvantage OneWorld Explorer First Class AAwards the Best Deal in Frequent Flyer Redemption's. - Parker Must Go
UncleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:42 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.