Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West > Las Vegas
Sign in using an external account

Old Nov 17, 04, 11:28 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Need Help finding a hotel for MLK weekend

I'll be in Vegas from 1/14-16 & I'm looking for a room - I don't want to pay more than about 150 per night (need 2 beds in the room) & if I'm paying that much, then I'd like to stay on the strip. I realize that 150 isn't much, but to me, that's expensive. I've got reservations at the La Quinta Tropicana for 39.50/night, using the SWA50 rate code - but when I made the reservation, it said that all I needed to do was ask for the rate & now, when I tried repricing, just to see if it was available, it says that the SWA50 promotional mailer is required at check-in (and I don't have the mailer).

I've got about 55K HH points & 2 x Category 4 Marriott awards that my parents got with their MR Visa cards that I can use if there was availability (which I haven't checked yet, but I know that the new Renaissance & the Marriott Suites are Category 5 properties) - I would like to stay ideally on the strip, but not on the Circus Circus side, but on the Luxor/Excalibur or central side.

Does anyone have any recommendations of reasonably priced hotels within walking distance (in January) of the strip? We have a rental car reserved, but we don't want to count on having to use it as I may cancel it. I tried Priceline for 4 & 5 star hotels upto 110/night, but am having problems since it's a holiday weekend. 3-stars brings undesirable locations into the mix.
Old Nov 17, 04, 7:43 pm   #2

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
When I first got the Bellagio Promo I think rooms were available for $159 for that weekend! They will go quickly if they are still available you may want to call soon.

I will check on some other options for you.
mapsgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 04, 8:31 pm   #3

Programs: DL Platinum
The Bellagio promo (D139DM) is only for Sun-Thurs nights.

BUT, once when I called to make a reservation, it turned out the particular Saturday night I wanted was part of the promo; it just wasn't published. It's unlikely that will be the case over MLK weekend, but it can't hurt to check.

You can also call the Venetian and offer to pre-pay the entire stay, no cancellations. That will drop the rate, but probably not to below $150.

Otherwise I don't think you'll find a better price than what you have now. Luxor may be close to $150 and is nice; I've never stayed at Treasure Island but their price may be lower as well.
Loran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 04, 9:12 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tips - I'll call the Venetian & Luxor tomorrow morning.