Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Steak Houses in Las Vegas" thread

Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Now that I have got a room sorted out... starting to think about food.

Would like to go to one "good" steak house during the trip: am thinking around the budget of Morton's or Ruth's Chris - to me that is expensive, but not completely insanely so... I prefer the atmosphere not to be too "stiff" either (smart/casual dress and relaxed atmosphere to go with it preferably...)

Have been to Morton's in LV before - steak was over done (should have sent it back...) and wasn't impressed by the service and atmosphere was a bit stiff (so not racing back there). Have really enjoyed Shula's in Florida (both Orlando and Naples) - although they don't have one in LV. Have never tried Ruth's Chris.

Any suggestions or comments?

Boo
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Oh and any other recommendations for relaxed (and not too expensive) restaurants with great food in LV would be really appreciated...

Thanks,
Boo
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:51 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I really like the old school steakhouse at Caesers Palace, "Nero's". Prices are probably slightly under Morton's, and they have a wine list that is one of the best values in Vegas, if you are willing to hunt through its massive size.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Prime in the Bellagio is tough to top.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 12:25 pm

Mon Ami Gabi at the base of the Paris is good. They have outdoor seating where you can view the Bellagio fountains.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 1:57 pm

I loved my meal and view at Mon Ami Gabi but the service was atrocious, and the wait for an outdoor table can be very long. You may make reservations for indoors (if they decide to honor it).
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:32 pm

Dalmonico's @ the Venetian
Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:03 am

I've been to Morton's in Vegas a few times. Each time, my steak had to go back one or more times. This particular Morton's seems to be inconsistent with the rest of the chain.

Been to the Vegas location of Ruth's Chris several times, too. Have yet to be disappointed there. Everything was prepared as ordered each time.

I have to second the Prime recommendation. ^ I have eaten at many of the premier steakhouses in Vegas, yet this one stands out as my most perfect dining experience. In fact, I have a booking there next week.

If you choose Prime, it's never too early to make a reservation. Sometimes, without advance notice, it's difficult to get a table even if you're a Bellagio guest.

At totally the other end of the spectrum, for the best pizza in Vegas visit the Metro Pizza on Tropicana. (Other locations may have been sold and still use the name, but this one is the one you want!)

Last edited by Stagedoor Suzie; Jun 24, 2004 at 1:09 am
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:41 am

If your thinking of checking out Freemont Street (which is fun) try the Ranch at Binion's. Really great steaks and a view!
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by skofarrell
Prime in the Bellagio is tough to top.
I've gotta disagree. WAY overpriced, and not up to even average steakhouse fare. One order had to be sent back three times, and all of the steaks were tough and not that flavorful. With a tab of $250 for three (did not include wine), I'd give it a miss.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:36 am
Original Member

I only know about the hotel restaurants, but I know a lot about them.

The best steakhouse in town is Craftsteak at MGM. There is no close second. Atmosphere is casual elegant. Wine is overpriced. Best vegetables anywhere.

N9ne steakhouse at The Palms has superb food, attentive if attitudinal service, a great and reasonable wine list, and a fun, noisy atmosphere with good people watching. Highly recommended.

Delmonico at Venetian has a wonderful creative menu and reasonable wine list. Service is spotty.

Nero's at Caesars is decent and has, as Craig said, a wine list with some very nice bargains (for Vegas anyway). Get the 2001 Stag's Leap Artemis Cabernet Sauvignon for $71.

I have eaten at Prime four times and have had horrible service three times and adequate service once. The butternut squash soup and the porterhouse are excellent. The room is beautiful. I do not recommend it.

Excalibur, Luxor, Bally's, and Circus Circus all have nice ordinary steakhouses where I have had good meals.

Les Artistes steakhouse at Paris is quite nice and not too overpriced. They have a good, unusual wine list and a great bone-in filet. I don't care for Mon Ami Gabi although you can't beat sitting out on the sidewalk overlooking the Bellagio fountains.

Kokomo's at the Mirage is very good but very noisy if the band is playing next door. It's a faux tropical rainforest atmosphere.

In short, it's not difficult to get good steak in Vegas, but while in town I would definitely visit Craftsteak or N9ne if you want a memorable experience.

QL
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:03 am

a carnivore's opinion

The best filet I had in Vegas was at the Red Square at Mandalay Bay
It melted in my mouth and no need for a knife, barely needed the fork served with routhefort(sp) butter. The place is intersting as our the other customers.

I also enjoy the Bubbles Cafe at Mandalay Bay the prime rib is huge and the baked potato soup is a nice start. I even up eating the other half of this brontasaurus rib as a late night snack. Protein never goes to waste.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If you are in the mood for prime rib, instead of steak, try the Cortez Room at the Gold Coast. $10 will get you an entire meal, and the prime rib is 1st rate.

Also a lot quiter than most places. ^

Addendum: I think Prime is way overpriced. We enjoyed our meal, but $48 for a small filet (nothing special) is ridiculous, as are the $12 drinks. Only worth dining here if you can snag one of the 4 tables overlooking the Bellagio fountains. Service was beyond superb, if that is important to you, but the food was not special.

We had a great experience at Del Frisco's last year. However, the reservations policy can be problematic.

Last edited by Boraxo; Sep 21, 2005 at 1:53 pm Reason: Add Prime comments
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:31 pm
csb

New BOA Steakhouse

I just returned from Vegas and had the pleasure of eating at the new branch of LA's BOA (formerly Balboa) steakhouse, located on the 3rd floor of the new addition to the Forum Shops at Ceasars. The restaurant has an incredible view facing south on LV boulevard. There is a small outdoor terrace for al fresco dining.

The restaurant was great. I had the bone-in filet mignon it was seared perfectly rare with a generous slab of foie gras and black truffle butter on top. Having eaten at the original, I expected the wine list to be a cut above the standard steakhouse selection of Cab-Merlot-Bordeaux, and it was. It was very global with numerous interesting selections by the glass including a great Albarino and Priorat from Spain.

This is hands down the best steakhouse that I've eaten at in Vegas, one of the best that I've enjoyed in the US.

By way of disclaimer, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of this restaurant's staff.
Old Jan 19, 2005, 3:02 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Thanks for the report, I'm heading there next month and always love a good meal !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.