Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Aria skysuite penthouse Amex FHR or Mlife gold booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM

I plan on staying at aria skysuite, probably the 2bd penthouse, should I book through amex fhr or mlife gold? Both have very similar pricing, couple dollars difference. Are there any difference in perks that weighs one over the other? Can I book with FHR and use my mlife gold for any benefits?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hiima
I plan on staying at aria skysuite, probably the 2bd penthouse, should I book through amex fhr or mlife gold? Both have very similar pricing, couple dollars difference. Are there any difference in perks that weighs one over the other? Can I book with FHR and use my mlife gold for any benefits?
Yes, you can still use mlife gold for benefits. FHR gives a lot of perks (including free breakfast, although I don't know what that entails at Aria, as well as the guaranteed late checkout) and FHR also offers a Aria-specific benefit of a $100 spa credit. If you value those at all then it seems like a no-brainer to book via FHR if there's no price difference.

That said, I picked some random dates in November and mlife still apears to be about 15% cheaper than FHR rates for the 2BR room type (whether standard or premium view). Are you not getting that discount when logged in on mlife?
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by gengar
Yes, you can still use mlife gold for benefits. FHR gives a lot of perks (including free breakfast, although I don't know what that entails at Aria, as well as the guaranteed late checkout) and FHR also offers a Aria-specific benefit of a $100 spa credit. If you value those at all then it seems like a no-brainer to book via FHR if there's no price difference.

That said, I picked some random dates in November and mlife still apears to be about 15% cheaper than FHR rates for the 2BR room type (whether standard or premium view). Are you not getting that discount when logged in on mlife?
I was looking first weekend in Dec. Maybe I should check again. I was getting 760$pn on mlife and 769$pn on fhr.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:51 pm

I was looking first weekend in Dec. Maybe I should check again. I was getting 760$pn on mlife and 769$pn on fhr.
Check again since prices have really dropped. Also FHR bottom level rooms are about 1K sq/ft rather than 1.4k for a true sky suite.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 12:09 am
Original Poster

So I'm looking at 2 bd penthouse city view. Mlife price fluctuates for me at 760 pn and 668 pn. FHR price is 768 pn, which isn't bad considering breakfast and spa credit. I think I might need to call in and check what the real price is.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:54 am

So I'm looking at 2 bd penthouse city view. Mlife price fluctuates for me at 760 pn and 668 pn. FHR price is 768 pn, which isn't bad considering breakfast and spa credit. I think I might need to call in and check what the real price is.
MLife rates do jump around frequently. FHR is slow to track the changes. I haven't booked a 2br FHR but the breakfast benefit is usually limited to 2 people. You might ask if it is 4 people for a 2br. $100 a night difference is good for 4 breakfasts, not so much for 2.

Either way you go, the rooms are cancelable so if the rate drops, cancel and rebook.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
MLife rates do jump around frequently. FHR is slow to track the changes. I haven't booked a 2br FHR but the breakfast benefit is usually limited to 2 people. You might ask if it is 4 people for a 2br. $100 a night difference is good for 4 breakfasts, not so much for 2.

Either way you go, the rooms are cancelable so if the rate drops, cancel and rebook.
The fluctuations were minutes apart, I think my account is set up wrong or something, I'll probably end up calling and ask what the good price is.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:06 am

If you can book FHR within a few dollars of the MLife gold price, I'd go the FHR route.

Aside from the MLife Tier Discount itself, you don't give up any of your MLife Gold perks by booking some via some other method.

And I have found over the past 18 months that booking suites at MGM properties via MLife actually puts you at the bottom of the totem pole as far as getting your room preference when you arrive, unless you are a big player (which, if you're Gold, you're probably not, relatively speaking).

I've stopped booking suites at MGM properties via MLife because I got bumped out of them on 3 trips in a row.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chuck2009x
I've stopped booking suites at MGM properties via MLife because I got bumped out of them on 3 trips in a row.
Rough. Which properties and were they during the weekends? High rollers get bumped from their preferred suites as well if it makes you happy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.