Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Las Vegas
Reload this Page >

Skipping the Cab Line at McCarran?

Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

I'm coming to Vegas next month for a convention and arriving the Sunday afternoon before it starts. Last year I got stuck waiting in an hour long cab line at McCarran. Are there any tricks to avoid getting stuck in a long line in the afternoon heat?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:43 pm

Call a limo to do a meet and greet?

You could try Uber as well.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:04 pm
Suspended

If you don't have bags, head directly to LAS T3. The cab line there is shorter on nearly any day any time. Sure it's about $4-5 more due to T3 being further away, but it's very worth it to avoid wasting a whole hour at the T1 line

another weird trick is the car rental center. if the line to the car rental bus isn't too long, take that bus for a 7 min ride over to the rental center. there's a line of cabs waiting at the rental center, and never a line.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; XT1032 Build/LMY47M.M001) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Find a skycap, tip him/her $10 ..

Skycaps have the ability to jump you to the front of the line.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.1; XT1032 Build/LMY47M.M001) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Find a skycap, tip him/her $10 ..

Skycaps have the ability to jump you to the front of the line.
Does this actually work? Anyone try this before at LAS?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Does this actually work? Anyone try this before at LAS?
Yes it works, $10 does the trick. Also, Uber is currently not allowed to operate in Las Vegas. It is tied up in the courts thanks to the Cab companies.

Also, do not let the cab take you through the tunnel (long haul). On a Sunday afternoon, the lines at the airport to take a cab should not be so bad. It depends on the date.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Dumb question, but would finding a skycap be easy? Will there be some around the baggage claim area in terminal 1?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by landesb
Dumb question, but would finding a skycap be easy? Will there be some around the baggage claim area in terminal 1?
Very likely there will be a skycap in the baggage claim area. I have paid a skycap on a couple of occasions to avoid a long line for a taxi. The skycap will take you to the next available taxi spot; let your suitcase remain on the skycap's cart until the taxi arrives to pick you up. This all works very well.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:08 am

Programs: United Gold
Somebody upstream mentioned Uber; this is still not legal in Vegas. In fact state senate just voted it down earlier this week.

One thing I did once is head to departures, and I jumped in a cab dropping someone off. This is illegal for the cabs, so they won't do it if you have a lot of bags to load, but if you just have a small carryon and are quick you might be successful. It also depends on how busy drop off is.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Just get a skycap. $10 and you are at the front of the line.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:12 pm

Are the skycaps able to bypass the "brownshirts"?

You can email hackingvegas at gmail dot com and he will do a private pick up for you if he is working, you can also follow him on twitter to read some interesting cabbie stories.

If its just you and you do not want to do a limo nor wait in a cab line, just do the Belltrans VIP service. It is $28 round trip, you book through their website and you will get a Towncar, SUV or Limo, you MAY have to share with another person but as they call it a ride share, I never have nor have anyone I know, they always got it by themselves.http://www.airportshuttlelasvegas.co...-share-a-ride/
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

does this skycab method really work ?
Old May 8, 2015, 4:56 pm

Does uber work at the airport? I have seen other cities where you can't uber from the airport, but then again you can call a taxi from the uber app.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by vegasfly
Does uber work at the airport? I have seen other cities where you can't uber from the airport, but then again you can call a taxi from the uber app.
Uber is currently not allowed in Clark County Nevada. The cab companies are fighting to keep it that way.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:23 pm

Whoa! Really, that is surprising. I bet uber is looking at that possible $$$ and fighting back pretty damn hard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.