Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West > Las Vegas
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 23, 12, 2:13 pm   #1

Drive to Vegas from PHX ?

Has anyone driven to Vegas from Phoenix? Google says the 300+ miles will take me 5 hours. Google estimates always seem high and was wondering if anyone has real life experience.

Its just a one night stay so I want to have a better idea what I'm getting myself into if I decide to go.
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 2:26 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Drive to Vegas from PHX ?

5 hours is correct. Not all interstate. Some parts through county roads.
coplatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 2:31 pm   #3

ugh, may be time to change plans or change to a plane. Thanks for the quick response.
Old Aug 23, 12, 2:56 pm   #4
Suspended

SW

Hop on SW.
DaddyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 3:22 pm   #5

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, Bmi Blue, HH Silver,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also US Airways fly non stop PHX-LAS ( just over 1 hour flight time)

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 23, 12, 6:01 pm   #6

Programs: AA Gold, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Actually I just did this about 2 weeks ago, I did the reverse PHX to LAS and it was 303 miles for me. I left my hotel near PHX airport about 620am and was pulling onto the strip about noon. The drive is not bad, it is pretty remote once you get on 93 but I enjoyed the quiet.
chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 12, 7:10 pm   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chichi View Post
Actually I just did this about 2 weeks ago, I did the reverse PHX to LAS and it was 303 miles for me. I left my hotel near PHX airport about 620am and was pulling onto the strip about noon. The drive is not bad, it is pretty remote once you get on 93 but I enjoyed the quiet.
so it was even more than 5 hours. That pretty much seals it...it seemed like a good idea, but I can spend the time more wisely for sure. Now the question will be how.
Old Aug 23, 12, 10:24 pm   #8
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Google is right. It's been a while but I've done the trip multiple times. That direct route isn't interstate, it's mostly a two lane road and sometimes you'll end up poking along behind a truck climbing a hill.
Loren Pechtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:05 pm   #9

Programs: Low-Rev 1k
If you do decide to do the drive, a side trip the hoover dam is a plus if you've never seen it.
fenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 12, 10:11 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold, DL Silver, Carlson Silver, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
It's not that bad of a trip. I've done it in 4 hours before, with a maniac friend driving (long before the Hoover Dam bypass opened). I'd figure 4 hours for flying. Check in, TSA fun, flight, luggage pick up (if any).
Old Sep 7, 12, 2:12 pm   #11
Talkboard Member & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, DL, UA General Member, BW Gold, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus
I've done the drive numerous times and I can tell you, there are some really boring stretches, but also some beautiful scenery when you go through Joshua Tree National Park. There's serious congestion in NW Phoenix when US 60 becomes Grand Avenue but once you're in the desert despite US 93 being two lanes it's smooth sailing. It's a doable drive, though if you can get a cheap US or WN fare...I'd jump on that.
Old Sep 14, 12, 12:11 pm   #12

Programs: M&M, MR Platinum, HH Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
.. but also some beautiful scenery when you go through Joshua Tree National Park.... There's serious congestion in NW Phoenix when US 60 becomes Grand Avenue...
Joshua Tree NP in CA would be a big detour, but you see a lot of Joshua Trees on HY 93. It's named Joshua Tree Pkwy for a reason.

And going north on I 17, then east in HW 74 bypasses any NW PHX congestions. It's a great drive and I would go for it any time rather than flying.
Exdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 12, 1:24 pm   #13
Talkboard Member & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, DL, UA General Member, BW Gold, HH Gold, Amtrak Select Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdon View Post
Joshua Tree NP in CA would be a big detour, but you see a lot of Joshua Trees on HY 93. It's named Joshua Tree Pkwy for a reason.

And going north on I 17, then east in HW 74 bypasses any NW PHX congestions. It's a great drive and I would go for it any time rather than flying.
You are right on both counts of course. I forgot that while there were Joshua trees, it wasn't in the National Park. And also AZ-74 to I-17 is a smart way to avoid traffic, good call on both counts.
Old Sep 14, 12, 3:47 pm   #14

5 hours is about right. Maybe even more if you have to deal with either PHX or LAS traffic.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are the only 2 cities of that size and that proximity in the country without a connecting freeway. It's ridiculous. As bad as it is now, it was way worse 10 years ago pre bridge and when US-93 was a 2 laner or almost the entire length between I-40 and US-60. At least now a lot of it is 4 lanes.
KoKoBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 12, 3:12 pm   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
so it was even more than 5 hours. That pretty much seals it...it seemed like a good idea, but I can spend the time more wisely for sure. Now the question will be how.
Honestly, I think you're making a mistake not driving.

Leave early, take in the sights on the way. Enjoy the open road.

5 hours in one go sounds a lot, but work out how long that on hour flight will actually take - and you're saving is not very much.

Even at 30 mins home to airport, an hour faffing round in the terminal/security/boarding, another hour in flight and another hour taxiing/collecting bags/collecting rental car and another half hour to your strip hotel. That's about three hours, and considerably more cost than using your existing car.

It's not much more than two hours extra, and a lovely drive.