FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/)
-   -   Drive to Vegas from PHX ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas/1380333-drive-vegas-phx.html)

jiggs Aug 23, 2012 2:13 pm

Drive to Vegas from PHX ?

Has anyone driven to Vegas from Phoenix? Google says the 300+ miles will take me 5 hours. Google estimates always seem high and was wondering if anyone has real life experience.

Its just a one night stay so I want to have a better idea what I'm getting myself into if I decide to go.

coplatflyer Aug 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Drive to Vegas from PHX ?

5 hours is correct. Not all interstate. Some parts through county roads.

jiggs Aug 23, 2012 2:31 pm

ugh, may be time to change plans or change to a plane. Thanks for the quick response.

DaddyRabbit Aug 23, 2012 2:56 pm

SW

Hop on SW.

The _Banking_Scot Aug 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Hi,

Also US Airways fly non stop PHX-LAS ( just over 1 hour flight time)

Regards

TBS

chichi Aug 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Actually I just did this about 2 weeks ago, I did the reverse PHX to LAS and it was 303 miles for me. I left my hotel near PHX airport about 620am and was pulling onto the strip about noon. The drive is not bad, it is pretty remote once you get on 93 but I enjoyed the quiet.

jiggs Aug 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by chichi (Post 19181822)
Actually I just did this about 2 weeks ago, I did the reverse PHX to LAS and it was 303 miles for me. I left my hotel near PHX airport about 620am and was pulling onto the strip about noon. The drive is not bad, it is pretty remote once you get on 93 but I enjoyed the quiet.

so it was even more than 5 hours. That pretty much seals it...it seemed like a good idea, but I can spend the time more wisely for sure. Now the question will be how.

Loren Pechtel Aug 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I think Google is right. It's been a while but I've done the trip multiple times. That direct route isn't interstate, it's mostly a two lane road and sometimes you'll end up poking along behind a truck climbing a hill.

fenx Sep 2, 2012 10:05 pm

If you do decide to do the drive, a side trip the hoover dam is a plus if you've never seen it.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 2, 2012 10:11 pm

It's not that bad of a trip. I've done it in 4 hours before, with a maniac friend driving (long before the Hoover Dam bypass opened). I'd figure 4 hours for flying. Check in, TSA fun, flight, luggage pick up (if any).

CMK10 Sep 7, 2012 2:12 pm

I've done the drive numerous times and I can tell you, there are some really boring stretches, but also some beautiful scenery when you go through Joshua Tree National Park. There's serious congestion in NW Phoenix when US 60 becomes Grand Avenue but once you're in the desert despite US 93 being two lanes it's smooth sailing. It's a doable drive, though if you can get a cheap US or WN fare...I'd jump on that.

Exdon Sep 14, 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 19272811)
.. but also some beautiful scenery when you go through Joshua Tree National Park.... There's serious congestion in NW Phoenix when US 60 becomes Grand Avenue...

Joshua Tree NP in CA would be a big detour, but you see a lot of Joshua Trees on HY 93. It's named Joshua Tree Pkwy for a reason.

And going north on I 17, then east in HW 74 bypasses any NW PHX congestions. It's a great drive and I would go for it any time rather than flying.

CMK10 Sep 14, 2012 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 19315613)
Joshua Tree NP in CA would be a big detour, but you see a lot of Joshua Trees on HY 93. It's named Joshua Tree Pkwy for a reason.

And going north on I 17, then east in HW 74 bypasses any NW PHX congestions. It's a great drive and I would go for it any time rather than flying.

You are right on both counts of course. I forgot that while there were Joshua trees, it wasn't in the National Park. And also AZ-74 to I-17 is a smart way to avoid traffic, good call on both counts.

KoKoBuddy Sep 14, 2012 3:47 pm

5 hours is about right. Maybe even more if you have to deal with either PHX or LAS traffic.

Las Vegas and Phoenix are the only 2 cities of that size and that proximity in the country without a connecting freeway. It's ridiculous. As bad as it is now, it was way worse 10 years ago pre bridge and when US-93 was a 2 laner or almost the entire length between I-40 and US-60. At least now a lot of it is 4 lanes.

oscietra Sep 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by jiggs (Post 19182145)
so it was even more than 5 hours. That pretty much seals it...it seemed like a good idea, but I can spend the time more wisely for sure. Now the question will be how.

Honestly, I think you're making a mistake not driving.

Leave early, take in the sights on the way. Enjoy the open road.

5 hours in one go sounds a lot, but work out how long that on hour flight will actually take - and you're saving is not very much.

Even at 30 mins home to airport, an hour faffing round in the terminal/security/boarding, another hour in flight and another hour taxiing/collecting bags/collecting rental car and another half hour to your strip hotel. That's about three hours, and considerably more cost than using your existing car.

It's not much more than two hours extra, and a lovely drive.