Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

We'll see what happens....

Competition is usually a good thing.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:09 pm
Suspended

I'm really interested in their proposed Carlsbad to Cabo route. Most airlines tend to gouge between SAN and SJD, asking close to $500 in coach for a round trip that is less than 1000 miles each way. The LAX to SJD fares tend to be more in the area of $350 round trip for coach, occasionally as low as $250.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
We'll see what happens....

Competition is usually a good thing.
Yes, it will get more tougher competition against WN & NK. I'm sure CP Air will done extremely very well. Best of luck to CP Air. Hope they will get it.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 10:56 pm

They will need all the help they can get

Last time I recall a new airline trying to enter the market during $107/barrel oil prices, it was out of business in about 6 months.

It was called ExpressJet. I guess it was a commuter/feeder airline back east that had just expanded into CA/AZ under its own label, and had a perfect route for my wife to visit her family in Tucson. Went under before she ever had a chance to take it.

I hope they succeed but I wouldn't buy their stock right now.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by azlefty
Last time I recall a new airline trying to enter the market during $107/barrel oil prices, it was out of business in about 6 months.

It was called ExpressJet. I guess it was a commuter/feeder airline back east that had just expanded into CA/AZ under its own label, and had a perfect route for my wife to visit her family in Tucson. Went under before she ever had a chance to take it.
Huh? ExpressJet is still around ... it's a publicly traded company that carries 28 million passengers to 190 destinations annually. They don't operate under their own label anymore, but they do operate a big chunk of the regional flights in the eastern US under Delta Connection and United Express brands.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
Huh? ExpressJet is still around ... it's a publicly traded company that carries 28 million passengers to 190 destinations annually. They don't operate under their own label anymore, but they do operate a big chunk of the regional flights in the eastern US under Delta Connection and United Express brands.
That's good to hear. I know they had operated as some of those feeders before. Nonetheless, they definitely pulled out of maybe 15 routes between CA and neighboring states under their own brand. We were disappointed to see them go.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by azlefty
That's good to hear. I know they had operated as some of those feeders before. Nonetheless, they definitely pulled out of maybe 15 routes between CA and neighboring states under their own brand. We were disappointed to see them go.
Definitely. They mostly operate in the eastern US now.

Interestingly, SurfAir plans to offer SoCal to Vegas flights at some point as well. With their all-you-can-eat $790/month membership, it could be quite interesting.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Article in today's LA Times

There's an article about California Pacific Airlines in today's LA Times. I checked their website, and there's no indication of when they might actually begin taking reservations. If the price is competitive with Southwest, it might be a good option for North County fliers.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4787474.story
Old Sep 7, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It's been a long 6 years since the last post on this thread, but CalPac is finally going to begin service. Service from Carlsbad (CBQ) to San Jose, CA begins on Nov 1, followed by Reno, NV on Nov 2, and Las Vegas on Nov 15.

They bought out another airline (Aerodynamics) to get the operating certificate and aircraft, and also inherited that airline's EAS routes, which they intend to keep and continue operating.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
SAN is definitely closer to me than CBQ but if the price is right I might consider it. (Though their website seems to be acting up at the moment and is unable to show any availability or pricing.)
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Looks like the first flights are $99 one way to LAS:

Same with SJC too, apparently.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
RNO is live too.

I'm thinking about taking a trip out just to ride the inaugural.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.