Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend or Weekdays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Weekend or Weekdays

Hello all. So me and my girlfriend both in our 20's are going to vegas mid august! I've been to vegas once and she has never been to vegas, also when I was there I was with someone who was under 21 so I didn't really enjoy the vegas experience Anyways my question to you guys is vegas the same on weekdays and weekends or is there more stuff to do on weekends? Obviously weekdays are way less expensive but we wanna have a great time and if everything is going to be dead during weekdays then we might as well go throughout the weekend. We are going to be there for 5 days so I was either thinking to go from like Monday through Friday or Wednesday through Monday. What would be your recommendations?

Also I've been looking into hotels and I found Planet Hollywood's Tower Studio Suite to be fairly attractive and also in my price range. Has anyone been there or heard anything about that hotel? Any other recommendations? Obviously first time to vegas so I don't think we will be spending a lot of time in the hotel but I want it to be something at least decent, clean etc..

Last but not least I know there is a bunch of stuff to do in vegas but does anyone have any recommendations of MUST DO/MUST SEE type of things?
Old Jul 19, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i think that five days is too long even a first visit. Three, maybe four nights is enough before your body gets just tired from the sensory overload.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:58 am

agreed on that being too long. unless you really like playing poker or something, you won't need more than 3-4 nights
Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
It sort of depends on what you want to do. Mid-August is going to be very hot, but you'll still get the vacationing crowds. It won't be that busy since most of the big conventions avoid August due to the heat. I don't think you'll notice it being dead at any of the main tourist attractions.

I'm guessing you're more interested in the nightlife in terms of clubs and whatnot, and I'm afraid I can't give much information on that. If you're interested in any of the pool parties, like Wet Republic or Rehab, then those happen on specific days, so you'll want to see if that's something you want to attend.

Given that it'll be mid-August, I'd suggest picking a place with a great pool. Unfortunately, the Planet Hollywood does not have a great pool. I'd recommend someplace like the Mirage or Bellagio for their pools. I'd also recommend Mandalay Bay, but they're on the far south of the strip and not ideal for a first time visit.

If you're looking to save money, then you'll want Sunday-Thursday for your five days. Friday and Saturday nights are considered weekend nights. I usually do 4 days in Vegas for March Madness, but I spend a lot of time watching basketball. If this is a first time visit, and you're out and about doing tourist things or hanging by the pool, then 5 days is certainly survivable.

One interesting strategy is that with 5 days you can mix things up a bit. Stay at a higher end resort during the week, and then go cheaper on the weekdays. Let's you live it up for a bit during your stay without breaking the bank.

Traditional Vegas activities - gotta walk the strip (though, this will be brutal in August); must catch the Bellagio fountains, see a show, hit a buffet (Wynn, Cosmo, or Bellagio), and get a view (Mix at Mandalay Bay, Stratosphere, Palms, or Rio).
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:58 pm

Having just returned from a stay at Wynn, I'd suggest looking at the Vdara or Cosmopolitan. I'm not sure of your budget, but both of them have rates hovering around $100 a night in mid-August, but include different bonuses. We noticed that the City Center area of the Strip is popular with 20 somethings (which we are not). There are great pools, including one with a sandy beach area, which was either Aria or Vdara's, can't recall.
We've stayed at Venetian/Palazzo, also packed with twenty-somethings, but V/P stays are pricey right now.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
August will not be a time you will spend a lot of time at the outdoor attractions like Red Rock Canyon or Lake Mead. Just too hot! how much gambling can you do and shows can you watch? Might want to do a short trip like others recommend.

A weekend in Vegas is like a summer weekend at Fire Island, The Hamptons, Cape Cod or Key West. Those that work all week want to get away so the amount of people go up. Shows and restaurants are about the same hours, just some less competition. During the day, conventioneers are at the convention so more space and some less crowds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.