FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Las Vegas (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas-463/)
-   -   "O" vs "Le Reve" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/las-vegas/1107274-o-vs-le-reve.html)

DLNYC Jul 19, 2010 6:35 pm

"O" vs "Le Reve"

I'm sorry if this has been covered, as I'm new to the Vegas thread.

Just booked a weekend to Vegas with my bf's bday. I want to take him to one of the water shows. Has any seen Le Reve? Debating between Reve and O. Have seen O twice and find it to be the most enjoyable Cirque show, hands-down. How does Le Reve compare? He has never been to Vegas so either show will be a first for him.

Thanks!

IK in Seattle Jul 20, 2010 3:06 pm

I've seen both and thought Le Reve was excellent. If you've already seen O twice get tickets for Le Reve.

You may want to check Travel Zoo and see if they are offering any discount tickets.

mikew99 Jul 20, 2010 3:23 pm

Here is a good thread with lots of opinions on "O" and "Le Reve."

It might be a challenge to figure out which one you would enjoy more. I pretty much hated "Le Reve," probably because there was no story that I could see, just lots of beautiful (but boring after awhile) artistic movement on stage. On the other hand, I have never seen a Cirque show I didn't like.

DLNYC Jul 20, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for the responses. I ended up booking two 4th row seats to O at 25% off. I am still curious about Le Reve, but want my bf to see the best show. It's been six years since I last saw O, so I won't exactly be bored. :D

kingalien Jul 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by DLNYC (Post 14335604)
Thanks for the responses. I ended up booking two 4th row seats to O at 25% off. I am still curious about Le Reve, but want my bf to see the best show. It's been six years since I last saw O, so I won't exactly be bored. :D

You made the right choice. Le Reve takes a backseat to O and KA (in that order) and is about par with Mystere IMO.

bigguyinpasadena Jul 21, 2010 3:34 pm

I found Le Reve to be a much more interesting show than what O has become(the yrevamped it shortly after the MGM takeover of Bellagio. I loved the original O and would not be saying this about the original) and found the theatre more comfortable.
I have never payed over $100 for great seats at Le Reve-what is O going for now

DLNYC Jul 21, 2010 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 14342101)
I found Le Reve to be a much more interesting show than what O has become(the yrevamped it shortly after the MGM takeover of Bellagio. I loved the original O and would not be saying this about the original) and found the theatre more comfortable.
I have never payed over $100 for great seats at Le Reve-what is O going for now

I think I paid $116 each for the O tickets, with 25% off promo. Le Reve were $99 for full-price. Didn't look for a promo.

DMark Jul 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Count me as another who liked Le Reve better than "O". Not that "O" was bad or anything, but I just thought Le Reve was far more visually fun to see, sitting in the round and having performers come in from all directions.

Still, this is like asking do you like beaches or mountains? Both are nice - it depends upon what you are in the mood for...

Big Mac Aug 9, 2010 12:58 pm

I also think Le Reve (the "new" version) is the better than O. Le Reve is more visually engaging. O on the other hand seems to be more of the same thoughout the show with a lot of repetition. It gets boring after a while (several people in my party actaully fell asleep). To me Le Reve seems like an (much) improved version of O.

BenjaminNicholas Aug 9, 2010 9:02 pm

O is a time-capsule of what Franco Dragone could do when he was first with Cirque and churning out good quality shows. It's changed almost none, which is why I say see Le Reve, a show that's constantly changing thanks to Steve Wynn asking Dragone (the director) to retool as he dreams new things.

Le Reve is intimate, engaging and technically incredible. It's got perhaps the best lighting design of ANY show in Vegas today- Just amazing use of lighting that pushes the audience to the very edge. Comfortable theater. Great sound system. It's easy to get in and out as well.

O is a must-see, but would I say it's better than Le Reve? Not by a longshot. As others on this thread have already said, halfway through O there's a sameness that sets in with each act. It's too formulatic for me. By the time you get to the guys with the fire, I'm half asleep.

BN

lands Aug 9, 2010 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas (Post 14452283)
O is a time-capsule of what Franco Dragone could do when he was first with Cirque and churning out good quality shows. It's changed almost none, which is why I say see Le Reve, a show that's constantly changing thanks to Steve Wynn asking Dragone (the director) to retool as he dreams new things.

Le Reve is intimate, engaging and technically incredible. It's got perhaps the best lighting design of ANY show in Vegas today- Just amazing use of lighting that pushes the audience to the very edge. Comfortable theater. Great sound system. It's easy to get in and out as well.

O is a must-see, but would I say it's better than Le Reve? Not by a longshot. As others on this thread have already said, halfway through O there's a sameness that sets in with each act. It's too formulatic for me. By the time you get to the guys with the fire, I'm half asleep.

Sounds like you've read my mind on "O". It's the only one I've seen, and I'm still upset about the $300+ I spent to see it. Didn't really seem to have a story, and a lot of sameness over an over. "and now, 15 contortionist with their faces painted will walk across the stage..." Eh.

I might give Le Reve a chance sometime.

rljan Aug 11, 2010 8:09 pm

If you go to any of these shows looking for a story line you won't enjoy the show. These are stylized circus shows. KA supposedly has a story although I couldn't follow it. Le Reve means "The Dream" in French and the acts are meant to be dream sequences, but it 's still a circus show. Just sit back and appreciate the athletics and showmanship and you will enjoy these shows.