Search

LANPASS - no soft landing?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
LANPASS - no soft landing?

Hello everyone.
My LANPASS Comodoro status expired at the end of March. I was under the impression that I will be downgraded to Premium Silver for next year, but it appears I lost my status completely.

T&C seem to suggest I am right:
5.6 If a member does not meet the requirements to renew its category, it will belong to the category immediately preceding the one to which he/she belongs for the next year, even if he/she does not meet the requirements to qualify for said category.
Is it supposed to be like this? I did get my status through status match, but why would that make any difference?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: LANPASS
I believe status matches are handled differently because they aim precisely at generating loyalty and having you fly on the "receiving" airline... it's not a courtesy to provide benefits for 1 or 2 flights.

I'm not entirely sure about what the rules are for status matches, but I'm pretty confident that the general rule you quote above applies to "earned" statuses rather than matched statuses
Old Apr 4, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
I believe status matches are handled differently because they aim precisely at generating loyalty and having you fly on the "receiving" airline... it's not a courtesy to provide benefits for 1 or 2 flights.

I'm not entirely sure about what the rules are for status matches, but I'm pretty confident that the general rule you quote above applies to "earned" statuses rather than matched statuses
I've done status matches before, and I always got the soft landing if the particular FFP allowed it. Sure, I know some airlines do a match challenge instead of a full status match, but at no point I was told that this is the case with LANPASS. Would be nice to know this beforehand.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:45 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Just to confirm, the soft landing did happen for me. I was Comodoro, but fell short of hitting Premium Silver this past year. I just logged in to my account, and it does now show me as Premium Silver.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:38 am

@Darren,
But your Comodoro status was because of a status match or did you earn it by flying? Apparently that's where the difference lies
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
@Darren,
But your Comodoro status was because of a status match or did you earn it by flying? Apparently that's where the difference lies
No status match -- I earned Comodoro status by flying.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by DarrenChannel
No status match -- I earned Comodoro status by flying.
That's why you did get a soft landing. LANPASS/LATAMPASS rules state that in your case, you get a soft landing (even if you lost your elite status by not flying a single mile)

Hard landings on LATAM seem to be for status matches, as XmaX experienced
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
I'm the same as Darren, I earned my Comodoro in mid 2014 & because I didn't make it last year was only downgraded to Premium Silver, even though I didn't qualify for that last year either.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Hello, I had the same issue yesterday when flying GIG - GRU - FRA on Tam.
I was comodoro (with status match) but did not qualify on the time frame and was downgraded to LATAM Platinum (Saphire). All fine with that following the soft landing rule and I still have 6 coupons to try my luck at upgrades on long hauls in south america.
Yeesterday when checking-in I had the surprise that I was downgraded to Gold. I wasted a long time discussing with the agent, she finally undrstood that I had taken the first leg of this flight as a Comodoro and it was impossible that I was now Gold, so she waved the fee for my extra luggage and in GRU I was allowed lounge entrance.
But it's not very pleasant to be exposed to the agent's mood...
I want to submit a complaint because they are not following their T&C. Has anyone been impacted by this as well?
Old May 25, 2016, 7:29 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I know someone that was Comodoro through a business arrangement (probably a contract through a corporate travel agency) one year and he was downgraded to Premium (current Gold) the following year. When he asked LAN, they mentioned that one-category soft landings were for earned-through-flying status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.