Wiki Posts
Search

New routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
New routes

The other day I overhead the conversation in the galley of my LIM-MIA that the company is thinking about launching a service to ORD (from LIM) by the end of the year. I know is workers gossip until confirmed, but someone has heard about this?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: LANPASS
There's an intention to fly to ORD. Nothing officialy confirmed yet, but it has been floating around on networking for quite some time now (as has been JNB)

One of the biggest things that are yet to be decided before the route is announced (big "if" here) is whether it'd be flown from LIM (LA) or BSB (JJ). If ever announced, I wouldn't expect it to begin before 2017.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

I hope they go for LIM.

Asides from that, the idea would be really interesting because LAN does not really play into the direct market for the midwest states (even with its flights to the east coast). Also, I don't think there is any other airline operating a flight bellow PTY (Copa) from ORD, so it would create a lot of connectivity potencial from both travelers from Illinois and close states to lower SA via LIM (maybe ORD-LIM-EZE; ORD-LIM-SCL, instead of ORD-MIA-SCL, ORD-DFW-SCL, ORD-ATL-EZE, which does sound nice thinking some of the equipments AA, UA or DL use, the issues with large airports {and the attitude of agents at some of them}, and the fact that there is a smaller probability of missconecting in a LATAM hub that has several flights to the same destination every day, compared to the once a day from some US hubs), and viceversa, from all of southern SA to ORD and beyond (including Europe and Asia, considering all destinations that ORD serves)

Last edited by MfromL; Mar 20, 2016 at 7:37 pm
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by MfromL
Also, I don't think there is any other airline operating a flight bellow PTY (Copa) from ORD
UA to GRU.

ORD-BSB would be one of the weirder long haul routes out there if that happened.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I did not know ORD-GRU. So I stand corrected. There is only one other flight from ORD to lower SA. I think another route makes sense. Connecting thru lower US (usually MIA for LAN) or upper South America or Central America is always complicated.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

In the meantime, LAN just announced it will increase its frequencies from LIM. It operates 60 flights a week to SCL, starting next february (2017) it will go to 69. From 14 to MIA it will increase to 17 in june (probably 2017, the article does not specify).

Also it will add frequencies to CUN (from 10 to 12), PUJ (10 to 11), and HAV (7 to 9). This last ones appear to be a seasonal increase during for summer 2017.

http://tnewsperu.com/lan-peru-incrementa-frecuencias-al-caribe-y-santiago-de-chile/
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
Here are the planned increase in international flights from LIM that have been published in the GDS thus far:

*05/02/16 LAN launches LIM-IAD 3x weekly (B763) and increases LIM-IAD to 4x weekly on 06/18/16
*05/03/16 LIM-MIA increases from 14x weekly to 16x weekly (B763)
*06/14/16 LIM-MAD increases to 9x weekly (B763)
*06/16/16 LAN launches LIM-SLA 3x weekly (A319)
*06/16/16 LAN increases LIM-GYE to 7x weekly (A320/B763)
*07/01/16 LAN resumes LIM-ROS initially at 4x weekly (A319) increases to daily on 12/01/16
*07/01/16 LIM-CUN increases from 11x weekly to twice daily (A320)
*07/02/16 LIM-PUJ increases from 10x weekly to twice daily (A320)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SCL767
Here are the planned increase in international flights from LIM that have been published in the GDS thus far:

*05/02/16 LAN launches LIM-IAD 3x weekly (B763) and increases LIM-IAD to 4x weekly on 06/18/16
*05/03/16 LIM-MIA increases from 14x weekly to 16x weekly (B763)
*06/14/16 LIM-MAD increases to 9x weekly (B763)
*06/16/16 LAN launches LIM-SLA 3x weekly (A319)
*06/16/16 LAN increases LIM-GYE to 7x weekly (A320/B763)
*07/01/16 LAN resumes LIM-ROS initially at 4x weekly (A319) increases to daily on 12/01/16
*07/01/16 LIM-CUN increases from 11x weekly to twice daily (A320)
*07/02/16 LIM-PUJ increases from 10x weekly to twice daily (A320)
Are they adding new B763s? Or are these B763s being shifted from other routes, which would imply other routes that were B763s (at least partly) are moving (more) to the 787 Dreamliner. Any news there?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are they adding new B763s? Or are these B763s being shifted from other routes, which would imply other routes that were B763s (at least partly) are moving (more) to the 787 Dreamliner. Any news there?
The 763s are being shifted from other routes plus 4 787-9s will be delivered this year. The SCL-LIM-JFK route upgauges from the 763 to the 787-9 daily on May 1st and the SCL-MEX route reverts back to the 787-8 on June 20th.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Lanpass, AAdvantage
This is pretty exciting if it ever happens! Connecting within the US is often a PITA so that would be a huge advantage (checking bags through; weather issues in ORD during the winter; missing connecting flights due to immigration delays).

Copa is the currently the only other option. What's not nice about Copa though is their 9 AM ORD departure (only 1 flight per day) or noonish SCL departure (to minimize connection time in PTY). Spending 13+ mostly daytime hours in a 737 is not fun.

ORD-GRU-SCL on UA is way to long to be worth the hassle IMHO. And I have never found competitive fares for that routing, don't know about ORD-GRU-EZE though.

I'm no networking expert but ORD-BSB seems way to weird to be a good idea, could anyone expand on that?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ORDSCL
This is pretty exciting if it ever happens! Connecting within the US is often a PITA so that would be a huge advantage (checking bags through; weather issues in ORD during the winter; missing connecting flights due to immigration delays).
Yes, I got a few years of tease by LAN on the SFO/LIM route. I'm so glad I never joined Lanpass. That route saved me so much time and headache. By the end of April, I'll have flown AA, LA (via LAX), DL and AM to/from deep South America over the course of a year.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ORDSCL
Particullary during winter. Lower states don't feel it as much, but delays from some midwest airports due to snow (being based in ORD for some years I came to experience it at least twice, have not felt it yet in MSP) can have a awful effect on a tight schedule. Departing from up north would eliminate that factor completely (and also shave the usual 'safety' hours one has to add to its flight during those seasons, 'just in case' something weird happens with the sky in ORD, like white stuff coming down).
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Particullary during winter. Lower states don't feel it as much, but delays from some midwest airports due to snow (being based in ORD for some years I came to experience it at least twice, have not felt it yet in MSP) can have a awful effect on a tight schedule.
I feel it plenty here. If the clouds sneeze in or around SFO, we're effed. I've got a 3+ hour AA/LA connection next week and am hoping it is enough.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I feel it plenty here. If the clouds sneeze in or around SFO, we're effed. I've got a 3+ hour AA/LA connection next week and am hoping it is enough.
I am not negating your pain. Just saying, waiting to de-ice your plane when it is already late can add some much needed stress to a tight connection. In any case, I would give anything to fly non-stop to the midwest with LAN mainly because I would mean bypassing MIA (I don't fly to NYC because...NYC, nor LAX because the connection and time difference is too much), and having one more meal that day being able to ask the stewardess for some Inca Kola with my pasta. Selfish motives, I guess.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: Lanpass, AAdvantage
Departing from up north would eliminate that factor completely (and also shave the usual 'safety' hours one has to add to its flight during those seasons, 'just in case' something weird happens with the sky in ORD, like white stuff coming down).
+1! Nothing like looking at the forecast a few days out and wondering if your flight will be cancelled or delayed and you will end up stranded in MIA. Gotta love midwest weather.

Any insights as to why BSB is a possibility?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.