Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Check In Terminal J at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2016, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
LAN Check In Terminal J at MIA

I have a connection from DFW to MIA on AA to SCL (on LAN) in March. My arrival to MIA is 1552 with my departure at 2050. I understand that I need to exit to landside to Terminal J. I will be on Business Class ticket from MIA to SCL and I do have TSA precheck. I have a few questions: (1) With this amount of layover, do you think an hour at the AMEX lounge or AA lounge in Terminal D would be enough time before leaving for Terminal J. (2) I am assuming that there isn't a TSA precheck lane at Terminal J, is there a "Fast Track" for Business class passengers? What are FTers' experience on the "speed" of the TSA at Terminal J?
Thank you.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 11:50 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by naswi
I have a connection from DFW to MIA on AA to SCL (on LAN) in March. My arrival to MIA is 1552 with my departure at 2050. I understand that I need to exit to landside to Terminal J. I will be on Business Class ticket from MIA to SCL and I do have TSA precheck. I have a few questions: (1) With this amount of layover, do you think an hour at the AMEX lounge or AA lounge in Terminal D would be enough time before leaving for Terminal J. (2) I am assuming that there isn't a TSA precheck lane at Terminal J, is there a "Fast Track" for Business class passengers? What are FTers' experience on the "speed" of the TSA at Terminal J?
Thank you.
(1) You will have to walk between terminal D (AA) and J for the connection, and there are no trains, movers, or anything of the sort. Just moving walkways (happy horizontal people transporters...) and it is quite a walk, even with them. I did it a couple of weeks ago and it took me about 20 minutes, by the end I was quite tired. You might even enjoy not walking the regular way, instead using the ground level, where there are not as many people connecting between terminals.

As an advise, go to the admirals in D30 when you arrive. Bigger and when you exit the airside it is closer to terminal J than the one at D15. If you are planning on taking a shower, that can mean more than an hour of waiting (had to wait 30 minutes to get the room last time).

(2) I remember that is not that slow. But it depends on the time of day, and I haven't been so early in a while. Someone might correct me here but LAN is not affiliated to Pre-Check, so you won't be having an expedited lane. I don't know if J has one for FFs or business class tickets.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: LANPASS
LAN is not affiliated to TSAPre, nor does it have an expedited security line for people in J or super elite passengers at MIA (as it does on JFK)

The checkpoint itself is one of very variable queue lengths and speeds. I have been able to clear security in less than 5 minutes some times, and over 30 minutes on some other ocassions. It all comes down to how many simultaneous flights are being processed and how much Murphy loves you

If you're travelling in J with LAN, you will get a pass for a lounge that's located at the beggining of the J concourse, before the Starbucks store that's located in the concourse.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
The checkpoint itself is one of very variable queue lengths and speeds. I have been able to clear security in less than 5 minutes some times, and over 30 minutes on some other ocassions. It all comes down to how many simultaneous flights are being processed and how much Murphy loves you
I would say this too. I have breezed through that terminal on LAN flights to BOG and I had one time when it was 90 minutes, luckily the number of people nearly missing their flight was so great that it was delayed to wait for them.

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
If you're travelling in J with LAN, you will get a pass for a lounge that's located at the beggining of the J concourse, before the Starbucks store that's located in the concourse.
This too, why would you not just go there? It is not spectacular but it is better than both the D15 and D30 AA lounges.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks!

Last edited by PresRDC; Feb 7, 2016 at 5:40 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Completed my MR. I started my MR in SEA. Agent printed all my boarding passes including the codeshare leg (MIA to SCL) so I didn't have to wait in line for ticket counter at Terminal J.

I arrived to Terminal J about 2 hours prior to departure. There was a long line for main cabin. I didn't see where the line for Premium cabin was so I can't tell how many people were in the queue.

TSA had only one TSO checking ID/boarding pass. Total time at TSA was 20 mins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.