Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAN Cash upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

LAN Cash upgrades

Anyone have any idea how much a cash upgrade would cost from SCL-IPC and vice versa? I had already booked economy tickets a while ago for a trip in early April but then I just realized it is only $40/way more for business

Any idea on cash upgrade cost, and can I do it in advance?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: LANPASS
Originally Posted by googs185
Anyone have any idea how much a cash upgrade would cost from SCL-IPC and vice versa? I had already booked economy tickets a while ago for a trip in early April but then I just realized it is only $40/way more for business

Any idea on cash upgrade cost, and can I do it in advance?
LAN does not offer paid upgrades. You can only use your loyalty coupons to get listed for an upgrade on standby (in the T-48hr window, after checking in) or, if you are Premium Silver or Comodoro you can use your kilometers to get a confirmed upgrade as much as 6 months prior to the flight (you'll have to deal with LAN's contact center though)

If the Y trip you purchased allows a full refund (depending on your fare family) the easiest way would be to request the refund and purchase a J fare.
Keep in mind that LAN sometimes offers a J fare that's very close or even lower than available Y fares because those are non-refundable, non-changeable, non-nothing
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlarroulet
LAN does not offer paid upgrades. You can only use your loyalty coupons to get listed for an upgrade on standby (in the T-48hr window, after checking in) or, if you are Premium Silver or Comodoro you can use your kilometers to get a confirmed upgrade as much as 6 months prior to the flight (you'll have to deal with LAN's contact center though)

If the Y trip you purchased allows a full refund (depending on your fare family) the easiest way would be to request the refund and purchase a J fare.
Keep in mind that LAN sometimes offers a J fare that's very close or even lower than available Y fares because those are non-refundable, non-changeable, non-nothing
So I couldn't even pay the cash difference at the gate? It seems like its only $40
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:17 pm

No, they don't do that.

Your only chances for doing that flight in J are the ones I mentioned before (standby listing with lanpass loyalty coupons, confirmed upgrade with kms provided you are in the top lanpass tiers and have enough kms for the upgrade, or requesting a refund a booking the J tickets provided the fare you paid allows it)

sorry
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Upgrade to higher fare might be possible depending on the fare conditions of original ticket by paying the change fee and fare difference. If you booked the ticket through non-Chilean website, fares for Chilean market most likely can't be used for repricing (=> in that fare difference is likely 500-1000+ USD).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
if you are Premium Silver or Comodoro you can use your kilometers to get a confirmed upgrade as much as 6 months prior to the flight (you'll have to deal with LAN's contact center though)
Also regular premiums can do upgrades for kms. I just did one last week and I got out of the plane two hours ago...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by MfromL
Also regular premiums can do upgrades for kms. I just did one last week and I got out of the plane two hours ago...
Didn't know that. Last time I checked it was only for Premium Silver (ow Sapphire) and Comodoro/Black (ow Emerald). Good thing that it changed

Edit: How did the flight go? Did you need to go to the restaurant with the smoking area?

Last edited by jlarroulet; Jan 15, 2016 at 7:17 am
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:19 am

Didn't know that. Last time I checked it was only for Premium Silver (ow Sapphire) and Comodoro/Black (ow Emerald). Good thing that it changed

Edit: How did the flight go? Did you need to go to the restaurant with the smoking area?
Good, thanks! I found the place, smoked in my pipe (confirmed, it is pipe friendly) but lost my passport upon arrival at MIA (after migration and customs). I hate that airport, always did, always will: I've never had a good time there (I must feel what other ffers do towards LIM...)
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:11 pm

That's too bad. Losing a passport is never a good thing
What is it that you don't like about MIA? Besides being the airport where I tend to be singled out most for secondary in the security checkpoints, I have had mostly good experiences with it

(and, to be fair, never had a single bad experience with LIM either)
Old Jan 15, 2016, 6:18 pm

That's too bad. Losing a passport is never a good thing
What is it that you don't like about MIA? Besides being the airport where I tend to be singled out most for secondary in the security checkpoints, I have had mostly good experiences with it
Bad attitude from the migration officers (some weird thing between the cuban-americans and their attitude towards latin americans, don't ask me why, I just feel it). Also, being send in customs to secondary inspection (I get it, i come from a drug producing country...) and long queues (this specially. The worst queues for entering the US are in MIA, at least in my experience).

I am sad because my passport was almost full, and you know, passports with a lot of entry stamps are a type of a collectible in the particular type of mental condition we call being a frequent flyer.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:11 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by MfromL
I am sad because my passport was almost full, and you know, passports with a lot of entry stamps are a type of a collectible in the particular type of mental condition we call being a frequent flyer.
- about the loss of the Passport

- about the mental condition

Given that my Passport has just had stamps added from the Falklands, South Georgia (the one in the South Atlantic) and Antarctica (Port Lockroy), its now in the "must save at all costs" category.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, BAPP
Did you use Lan to get to FKL?
Old Jan 31, 2016, 5:31 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Caciucco
Did you use Lan to get to FKL?
I assume you mean Mount Pleasant - MPN ( http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=mpn ) rather than Franklyn - FKL (http://www.gcmap.com/airport/FKL ).

I rang QF and asked them if they saw award availability then asked them to book the tickets using my QF FF points. The weekly flight went SCL-PUQ-MPN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.