Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-SCL on the Dreamliner

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
LAX-SCL on the Dreamliner

My wife and I are flying LAN LAX-SCL in J on the 787 in October. First time on LAN and on the Dreamliner.

Any tips or advice from those of you who fly this regularly? Which business seats are best for a couple?

We are looking forward to the flight and to Chile
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: LAN COMODORO
I fly with my wife 8 out of 10 fly's. She likes to have a window seat and in J is nice coz you normaly get 2 or 3 and you are able to spot a lot of planes.

For me the best seat in the 787 is the row 2 in my case A and C (i like left because i am able to spot my house going out of SCL)

Well row 2 is the best for me. 1 is close to the services and 3 is just next to the door, 4 and 5 are behind the door. If you board the plane early (flying biz you are the first to be able to board) everyone will pass next to you, or close to you. In row number 3 the will even kind of wait other people next to your seat

If your fly has a stop in Lima i think that now you have to stay on the plane.... if you are allowed to get of, well DONT. Lima airport has by far the slowest security check in south América, you are looking for at least 45 minutes (once i had to switch planes for SCL LIM to LIM CAN fly with a 1.45 minutes layover and i just made it by about 10 minutes).
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is it also your first time flying into SCL? If so, I'd recommend an A/C pair, as you'll see the the Cordillera at dawn as you fly south toward SCL.

All the seat pairs are similar but the window pairs require hopping over the next seat if it is fully reclined. If that is an issue, pick a middle pair.

There is no overhead stowage in the middle above row 1 (which I recall may extend to part of row 2) as crew rest is above. However, I don't recall ever having a shortage of bin space up front.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the seat advice. We are on the direct flight so no stop in Lima. Cheers
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sean22mac
Thanks for the seat advice. We are on the direct flight so no stop in Lima. Cheers
If you are on LA 601, it is "direct" with a stop in LIM.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the world of airlines, "direct" does not mean "non stop". It means "no change in flight number". Although most often it doesn't include change of planes, it is possible for a "direct" flight to include a change of planes, as long the flight number stays the same.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Good to know. I thought we were non-stop
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. I thought we were non-stop
The good news is this means you will receive a pisco sour as a pre-departure beverage option during your LIM stop. :-:
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
In the world of airlines, "direct" does not mean "non stop". It means "no change in flight number". Although most often it doesn't include change of planes, it is possible for a "direct" flight to include a change of planes, as long the flight number stays the same.
LA532 EZEJFK with a stop in LIM - does one really remain on board? I haven't tracked tail numbers but I've long assumed that while both segments are 787s, there'd be a change of aircraft. Also, even if same-plan, does one WANT to get off to use the LIM lounge? I haven't changed planes there in years and don't recall if there's a security re-clear or not.

Best, Jamie
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
LA532 EZEJFK with a stop in LIM - does one really remain on board? I haven't tracked tail numbers but I've long assumed that while both segments are 787s, there'd be a change of aircraft. Also, even if same-plan, does one WANT to get off to use the LIM lounge? I haven't changed planes there in years and don't recall if there's a security re-clear or not.

Best, Jamie
LA532 seems to be the non-stop flight. LA601 is the one with stop in LIM, and, based on the past weeks data from flightradar24, there is no change of aircraft in LIM. Whether you are allowed to stay onboard during the stopover I don't know.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP

Best, Jamie
LA 532 is EZE-SCL-JFK
You must deplane in SCL
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SCLflyer
LA 532 is EZE-SCL-JFK
You must deplane in SCL
My mistake.

Does one need to re-screen in SCL before being able to access the lounge(s)?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: LATAM Black; AA EXP
My mistake.

Does one need to re-screen in SCL before being able to access the lounge(s)?
I have never transited in SCL but I'm almost certain that there's a quite efficient screening done to transit passengers. Your handbag will be manually searched for liquids on the jet bridge though, but that is for all passengers on US bound flights.. it's quite fast as well
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS, Copa ConnectMiles Gold
Re: lounge access in LIM, yes, if you get off the plane, you have to pass through the security check. Fortunately, it's been pretty quick when I've done it over the past couple years.

Last trip MEX-LIM-SCL I took, when got on board LA 601 in LIM, there were already people on the plane. So I guess those flying from LAX straight through to SCL do not have to deplane.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:36 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SCLflyer
I have never transited in SCL but I'm almost certain that there's a quite efficient screening done to transit passengers. Your handbag will be manually searched for liquids on the jet bridge though, but that is for all passengers on US bound flights.. it's quite fast as well
Yes, if you deplane in SCL you must go through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.