Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Weird Santiago experience (SCL). Security check INSIDE the jetway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Flew from SCL-LIM-LAX last month. After security, I bought a few final souvenirs and a bottle of water while waiting for the flight.

After going through the gate, walking down the jetway, there was another layer of security inside the jetway. They had a table set up in the jetway, and you couldn't pass by until they examined your carryon. They confiscated my bottle of water. I told them that I bought it AFTER security before, but they didn't care. Meanwhile, a guy next to me was carrying a bottle of water, and another agent let him go through. I had never encountered an additional bag check when I was already inside the jetway. Does anyone know if this is common for LAN or SCL airport?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Quite normal for any Chile-origin flights going to the USA. You can thank the paranoia and hysteria emanating from TSA and similar US rule makers.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:24 pm

Same for some flights from Argentina and Brasil going to USA.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:43 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by yakito
Same for some flights from Argentina and Brasil going to USA.
And Colombia. Definitely a US rule and not a SCL or LAN rule.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
And from Lima (also from San Salvador, but that was on Taca). It's a TSA thing, not Lan.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It is a US rule (as the airport doesn't have a general liquids ban). The passenger who boarded with the water likely had a LIM BP. This means his water was safe, and yours was not.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Never happened to me on a Lan Fly non stop to the US. But once i had a fly to CUN with a Stop on LIM and there was that kind of control.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:52 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
It can also happen on flights to Australia as well (particularly from SE Asia).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:48 pm

Some airports have a special area for flights to the US only, and the 2nd check is conducted at the entrance to that area. Others don't have such an area, and do security at the boarding gate or in the jetway. In any case, there is a second security check somewhere for flights to the US.

Regarding the bottled water mentioned by the OP, yes it is a problem. When there is a secure section of the terminal for US flights, you can pass security with an empty bottle and fill it up afterwards at a water fountain. But when security is in the jetway, you are out of luck.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:54 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Ah yes..... H2O is well known for its incredibly explosive & destructive qualities..... its certainly an extremely dangerous & deadly substance.

Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Elite Ambassador, HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
this happened to me this week. I had taken a couple of bottles of water and a coke zero from the lounge because I was staying at an airport hotel and didn't want to pay minbar prices.

They took it and laughed and said "lounge?" and i said "yes.. otherwise I would cry if I paid airport prices"

wasn't even a good search because they didn't take my sun cream or hair spray from my bag
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianfly

They took it and laughed and said "lounge?" and i said "yes.. otherwise I would cry if I paid airport prices"
I do love that lounge!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: LANPASS
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It is a US rule (as the airport doesn't have a general liquids ban). The passenger who boarded with the water likely had a LIM BP. This means his water was safe, and yours was not.
most likely the checkpoint missed it. On a flight from SCL to the US (regardless of where it stops) the checks apply to everyone even if they deboard at LIM
Old Aug 16, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jlarroulet
most likely the checkpoint missed it. On a flight from SCL to the US (regardless of where it stops) the checks apply to everyone even if they deboard at LIM
I have been on LA600 a few times where people with LAX BPs get checked and LIM BPs don't. (I haven't been on 600 for some time on the SCL/LIM segment.)
Old Aug 17, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: LANPASS
nothing is ever consistent in Chile apparently haha..

Of all the times I've flown to LIM on a flight that has an onward leg to the US (mostly LA600 and LA530 when it does the whole SCL-LIM-JFK) I've always been checked for liquids, regardless of my de-boarding in LIM

The logic is that otherwise, the checkpoint becomes pointless. All it would take to board dangerous liquids in contravention to the TSA/CBP regulations is to have someone flying up to LIM and giving you his backpack while on board so you can take it the rest of the way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.