Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Booked Lap Infant in Business on LAN using BA Avios. Problem?

Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:20 am
Original Poster

I booked business seats for my wife, myself and our son as a lap infant (he's under 2) from SYD-AKL a few months back and BA only charged an extra 10% of miles for our son. We are flying out on Wednesday.

I just read an article that says that LAN may not allow our son in Business as a lap infant. Will we not be allowed on or will we be made to pay full fare for our son in Business?

I called LAN and the rep stated that this shouldn't be a problem but not sure whether to trust him.

Any advice? Should we just cross our fingers and head to the airport. Or try to cancel and rebook? The latter is difficult as the airlines don't seem to be fully aware of the policy.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:37 am

Did they state any reasons why he would not be allowed to fly in J?

Recently redeemed Avios with an infant also on LAN (in Y, though) and I'm thinking if they let you book they would let you fly.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Lap Infants are not allowed in J on LA (only in Y). Call again and record what LAN's agent is telling you . This was discussed few months ago in this forum, but you can check on Lan.com

http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...ult/index.html

Are you traveling with a child aged under two?
Each adult can share his or her seat with a baby, paying a percentage of the fare plus boarding fees and taxes. For domestic flights within Chile, you pay only boarding fees and taxes.

If you are traveling with two babies, you will need an additional seat for their safety and must pay the fare for one child.
If the baby is traveling with an assigned seat, he or she will require a seat that is certified for use on an airplane or an ACSD safety device. Both of these items must be provided by the passenger.
Babies and children travelling in Premium Business pay the adult fare.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Yes.
Did you end up traveling with your lap infant on LAN? What happened? We just booked LAX-SCL but haven't added lap infant yet. Would like to hear any updates.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: Latampass Black
In my experience, Lan will not allow lap infants in Business class. I flew JFK-LIM-GRU with Lan with my wife, her sister & 22 month old daughter.

I was upgraded to business & agreed with my wife I would take it & take our daughter with me. The cabin crew came up & said she couldn't be with me because there wasn't a spare oxygen mask for her in case of emergency(as though economy rows have spare masks!). The guy in the next row had a spare seat next to him so I said I was happy to change seats with him so there would be a spare mask. They then advised lap infants weren't allowed in Business unless they paid full adult fare, so my daughter had to sit with my wife. I wasn't too popular with my wife after that flight!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate
The cabin crew came up & said she couldn't be with me because there wasn't a spare oxygen mask for her in case of emergency(as though economy rows have spare masks!).
In fact, they do. In a 3-3 config, every 3 has 4 masks. This is why two lap children can't be in the same "3" and you will see parents w/2 lap kids split.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: Yes.
So AA has added our lap infant. Curious what's going to happen when the day arrives. Isn't a lap infant ticket from AA covered under DOT rules? Maybe they just move us to AA metal?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
In fact, they do. In a 3-3 config, every 3 has 4 masks. This is why two lap children can't be in the same "3" and you will see parents w/2 lap kids split.
I didn't know that! Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by FairDinkumMate
They then advised lap infants weren't allowed in Business unless they paid full adult fare, so my daughter had to sit with my wife. I wasn't too popular with my wife after that flight!
LAN's motto: "We fncking make it up as we go along."
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does the OP have an update on what happened?

My booked my spouse and infant son as a lapchild on GRU-SCL on LATAM using BA Avios (10% of the avios for a lapchild). Both my spouse and infant were issued business class tickets, but I am unable to assign seats online. I called the LATAM call center, and the agent said both my spouse and infant have seats, but that she could not assign over the phone.

It appears there are plenty of open seats in Business on the flight, but I am wondering what will happen, or if I should do anything proactively. Nobody in the traveling party speaks Portugese, and I don't want them running back and forth between ticket and check-in counters with my 3 month old son.

There is another thread about Expedia botching infant tickets on LATAM (which I also experienced), but was able to get that cleared up. Apparently expedia isn't issueing a seaprate ticket on LATAM for lap children.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 11:15 pm

Matt - If I were you. I'd keep my head down & try to deal with it on board if need be. Latam flight crew are MUCH easier to deal with than Latam ground crew & also many will speak english.

If BA have issued a ticket for your infant, I can't see how Latam can fail to honour it. Whether they charge BA 10% or 100% of the agreed fare for redemption seems to me to be an issue between BA & Latam, not you & Latam.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
I agree, in LATAM if it's already issued, it's better to ask forgiveness than permission. Worst worst case scenario, you are going to get downgraded and BA should refund the premium you paid for Business

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.